PDA

View Full Version : Bmw

.alchinko.
07-07-2006, 11:17 PM
well right now i dont have enough money right now but im thinking about making a BMW case. i would have the classic BMW front grills. Then put the BMW logo on some adhessive vinyl and then put that on plexi and make that my power switch. Also get some gages that show Temp. and have those on top of the case also get water cooling and have 2 resurvers on the side of the case that look like NOS tanks. well if anyone has any ideas i would like to hear them. ok thank you for reading.

Billy Lundin

Slug Toy
07-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Then put the BMW logo on some adhessive vinyl and then put that on plexi and make that my power switch

i have a cunning plan. use some acrylic, clear and blue, and make the logo with that. frost the acrylic and light it. then you can have an awesome power switch.

Cool1Net6
07-08-2006, 04:07 AM
...Then put the BMW logo on some adhessive vinyl and then put that on plexi and make that my power switch...
I have 2 ideas in mind. The cooler one suprisingly would be easier to make...

1. Get a physical BMW logo and adhesive that to a momentary switch, so when you push down on it it will function the same as a regular power button.

2. Make a touch sensor using some not-so-complicated circutry, so when you touch the BMW logo it turns on the computer. The actual logo does not move.

I suggest an authentic BMW logo to add to the overall effect, but it might make it harder to use Slug Toy's nice idea of having the switch lighted. If you can find a way to light behind the logo it would look stunning. Also if your going for a car theme, design the entire case with a car in mind, meaning use prpoer automotive paint, maybe make some gizmos and widgets flip out, use more of an automotive feel for switches, etc.

Hope that helps.

-Cool-

.alchinko.
07-08-2006, 10:13 PM
well yeah dont really understand what you wrote but ill read it a few more times and understand. also i e-mailed BMW and they wont let me get some of there loggos from them but i can work arouund that. also one of the big ideas im having is..... ok might be con fusing but here it goes.

BMWs have there tires kind of wider then the car so the body sorta bends out. so im gonna do that with sheetmetal and bondo. then the case is going to sit maybe inch and a half off the ground and the bottom of the case im oging to cut out the the floor and put plexi. then on the inside of it im going to put a couple cold catholds so it looks like under glow. also with the gages i found it has a remote start. http://xoxide.com/logisys-multifunction-panel-black.html another idea is hhaving the window in the shape of a front car window but thats still in thought. another thing im going to have all the lights on switchs. here are the switches. http://www.directron.com/ledswfiberred.html

Just to let you know building might not start for a year because im only 14 and i just applied at a theater so..... money is a problem

Billy Lundin

Omega
07-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Dude, the under-glow kind of effect with a window is actually a good idea, which I might just incorperate to ArgDawn.

But probably not, due to cost limitations, and structural integrity.

Still, good idea!

Slug Toy
07-09-2006, 03:48 AM
thinking about the underglow.... the neon effect.... i think i have an idea for this too.

instead of putting the cold cathodes inside the case, why not do this:

take the whole existing bottom and replace it with black acrylic. then put one central cathode underneath the case. this way, you get a lot of lighting underneath, and you should have some coming through the black acrylic to give a very faint glow of whatever colour you choose.

ill get something whipped up in sketch up to show what im talking about. its kind of hard to put it in words.

Slug Toy
07-09-2006, 04:00 AM
here we go. this is a quick model of what i mean.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/z1gg3rm4n/Underglow.jpg

this is what it would look like from under the case. the cathode sits underneath in its own gap. the black acrylic is right above it, and maybe have some aluminum skirting so the light doesnt go directly out the side.... make it hit the ground first.

Cool1Net6
07-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Indirect lighting... I like...

And if you want the cliff notes version of what I said it is "make the BMW logo into a touch sensitive button".

-Cool-

.alchinko.
07-09-2006, 11:52 AM
eys i see where that might work better but i dont want a cathold exposed without any protecion. so i might still end up wit my idea but yeah thanks for the suggestion. any ways where could i get a touch sensor switch?

.alchinko.
07-09-2006, 11:56 AM
o now i get the light thing. still have the plexi on the bottom but then have it protected from the top too. and have it a bright white so then it reflect off that too making it even more bright. so the light dosent go up. well now that i understand that i might do that. not sure how i would mount it on the bottom but still. o and as far as the side reserves, here Def's case that is exactly how i wanna do it.http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549

great case.

Billy Lundin

Saleen
07-09-2006, 11:55 PM
BMW Z4 cars have a turn signal on the side of the fender, that has a clear space between the BMW emblem, and the car, it acts as an indirect lighted blinker.

You should take a real BMW emblem, make a 1/2 inch thick piece of acrylic or plexi to the round shape of the BMW emblem, then put some LED's inside it so it lights up when you turn the PC on. Then it will emit light around the emblem from behind.

.alchinko.
07-10-2006, 08:21 AM
yeah good idea. well i knew was gonna put light behind it but if i got a cathold or something and put it on a sound thing i could mame it so it blinks.
also if i ithnk its on the 3 series that they have a side vent thing. i tihnk im putting that on the side.

.alchinko.
07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
yay i got a free case tpday and it works perfect for the BMW case. i started on the front end. hopfully i can get my comp. (other one) going so i can put it in a work log.

Cool1Net6
07-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Yes, a work log laiden with delicious pictures of progress sounds like a good idea.

-Cool-

.alchinko.
07-13-2006, 12:29 AM
yeah it wont start till i get my other computer going. but i got the front done today... took pictures. and it was an old school case where the sides and top come off as one so i changed that.

Omega
07-13-2006, 01:12 AM
took pictures.

Proof, please. =]

.alchinko.
07-13-2006, 01:57 AM
sorry mike but my computer is well fried for now but once i get a new MoBo i will be able to post some pictures. right now its only of the original case and a little of cutting. but i did find some coo stickers.
http://www.rkgrafix.com/BMW.html

also just found a nice emblem.... the replacement ones for your wheels.

jestyyr
07-14-2006, 03:13 AM
just thought I would suggest auto wreckers if you wanted BMW bits, they are bound to have at least a few wierd and maybe useful to you bmw bits

slobra
07-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a good idea, if done nicley. I wouldnt put "NAAWWWSS" tanks on the side though, too ricerish.

I can see an modded ninja case painted a dark blue with a smaller BMW front gille on it and a BMW logo in the center towards the top, with the BMW M3 side vents on the side. http://store1.vividracing.com/catalog/images/m3sidegrills2a.jpg

Goodluck bro!

Saleen
07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
yeah good idea. well i knew was gonna put light behind it but if i got a cathold or something and put it on a sound thing i could mame it so it blinks.
also if i ithnk its on the 3 series that they have a side vent thing. i tihnk im putting that on the side.

Z3 had side vents, so does the M3 and M5. Problem is, i don't think the Z4 does unless you manage to find the side vent from a new Z4 M-roadster. Which is hard to buy the whole car, let alone a part for it.

Then again, ur doing a BMW case in general, not making it from 1 BMW car. M3 Vents look awesome and would go good with that lit-emblem.

.alchinko.
07-16-2006, 02:57 PM
yeah its not just one car so im just gonna use bits and pieces... but i cant find any of the front grills so i think im gonna have to some how make them.. but they probably have to be smaller then the real ones.