PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of Caribbean

d_stilgar
07-08-2006, 03:57 AM
I've really enjoyed the new movie and have no money really to work on a mod, so I figured I'd just tell the idea here.

Besides being pirate themed throughout, I thought I'd give my best idea for the case, and then a few personal rules about how it should be done.

My best idea is an "undead pirate" window. The undead pirates from the movie would be painted onto the side of the case or a window. In normal daytime lighting, the pirates would appear to be normal. In low light you could turn on the "light of the moon", which would essentialy just be a backlight, and it would reveal that they were zombies. This could easily be done and I could experiment a little until I feel I got it right. Then I could either hand paint or do a photo transfer onto the case.

The only other rule I would have about a pirate themed case is that I would only allow one jolly roger or skull and crossbones. I've seen other cases with many, and although it may fit that person's style, I wouldn't choose it for my case.

DaveW
07-08-2006, 06:25 PM
That's a very good idea.

-Dave

Scotty
07-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Nice idea, although how about the case the shape of the flying dutchman or black pearl...

d_stilgar
07-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I've been looking into ways that I could get the zombie transformation to work. I'm open to ideas on how to amke it work really well. I'm working on a few ideas today. I'll post pics if it goes alright.

I thought about having the case shaped like a ship but decided against it. I think I would rather have this be a modded case instead of a ship modded into a computer. If you have a way to mod a case to be 'shiplike' but not a ship itself, then I'd love to hear it.

Scotty
07-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Perhaps a picture of a ship on one side?

This might not work but is it possible to get clear paint that ight sup under UV? you could then paint zombies with clear paint and turn on a uv they show up...

b4i7
07-08-2006, 08:31 PM
as for a change between dead and undead...you could use almost like a transparency sheet ....kinda lik tinting a window....then you flip on the lights and theres an etching of the skeletons on the window that appear

i could give a better explanation..if i took the time...PM me if you want it better

as for the case itself you could do something like the barnackle coverd skin kinda thing........like the guy with the lamp in dead mans chest......kinda add details like that...

d_stilgar
07-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Here is a little sketch of what some ideas I've had. My scanner isn't really working so I took a pic of my sketch with my digital camera. Hmm . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/d_stilgar/PICT0175.jpg
The tentacles are from the kraken (or however that is spelled). I think I would want the case to represent the entire trilogy in the theme and not just one of the movies.

Saleen
07-08-2006, 11:57 PM
If you want some professional airbrushing or what not, my uncle is a pro...

He is a tattooist, artist, carver, taxidermist, muralist, etc. He can do anything you want, if you have a reference picture, etc.

Also, you should put a sail mast, and crows nest on top of the computer, maybe make the sail with El-wire sewn into the edges, so it glows....and you could make the tenticales from the Kraken out of fiberglass and wiremesh and then bondo it, sand it down, dremel the suckers and details, then paint.

Just a thought

jreffy
07-24-2006, 01:41 PM
The way you could do the transformation idea is with a simple piece of acrylic and some creative painting/cut outs.

On the outside of the acrylic, you paint your pirates. Keep in mind the paint couldn't be coated enough to make it completely opaque, you'd need some transparency. On the backside directly behind the pirates you place a skeleton cut out in the same pose. When you turn down the lights in the room and turn on the lights in the case, the skeleton would be silouetted through the paint on the outside.

MitaPi
07-26-2006, 05:06 AM
Those are some sweet sketches. I totally dig the tentacle crushing the case theme! You could even maybe paint the case like a boat and then some how "crush" the case and put in a tentacle... athought im not sure on how to do that. Maybe wire mesh or fishnet or something and then put bondo over it or something? lol ok.. now I dont even know what I am talking about! I better go before everyone starts yelling noob.. lol