PDA

View Full Version : car mod but its kinda cool.

.alchinko.
07-09-2006, 12:34 PM
ok so you know when you put a trailer on a car you plug in that thing that makes the lights on the trailer go on. so i was think'n that if you got a adapter and wired it right you could make it so some lights could work as your blinkers and brake lights. im not sure if it would work but if you tihnk about it it might work. if you have any ideas let me know.

DaveW
07-09-2006, 07:57 PM
I really don't get this thread...is this car-specific?

-Dave

.alchinko.
07-09-2006, 08:44 PM
no but ok when you have a boat trailer you plug in a cord from the boat to the car, so the lights on the trailer work with the car. so when you hit the brake the light on the trailer goes on. there for if you wired it to some catholds then they would go on. we put catholds in my friends car already and they look sweet/

CanaBalistic
07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
That could be really cool if you had multiple cathodes under your seat. When you hit the brake, the inside of the car turns red. Use the signal and that side of the car turns yellow or somthing. Really cool idea, i'll keep that in the back of my mind for when i get another car.

.alchinko.
07-09-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah well in my friends car righ tnow we have two 12" catholds under each seat. them a few under the dash and a couple in the grill. there green so there illegal to drive with. but if they actually did somethin then they'd be legal. so....... i was thinken maybe EL wire around your back window and line it to your brakes. the only bad thing is that it would have to be red or yellow. there the only colors that are legal.

86tempo
07-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Sounds like it would work pretty good. Just make sure that your cathods are running on 12V current if your going to run it direct, or you may have to wire in a compacitor to the standard 18V that they normally run on. Also don't forget to ground the cathods since the brake lights are grounded to the body of the car already.

Send pictures when its complete. I wanna see :D

maximan1
07-18-2006, 01:48 AM
Why are they illegal?

CanaBalistic
07-19-2006, 08:45 PM
The diffrent colors can distract other motorists and may even temporarily blind them. And since you only use the lights at night which is the worst time for windshield glare, you may inadvertantly cause an accident.

I see a lot of people driving around with thoes licence plate lights nowdays. Thoes are also supposedly illegal.

Airbozo
07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
The diffrent colors can distract other motorists and may even temporarily blind them. And since you only use the lights at night which is the worst time for windshield glare, you may inadvertantly cause an accident.

I see a lot of people driving around with thoes licence plate lights nowdays. Thoes are also supposedly illegal.

In California, it is supposedly illegal to put any color lights on the back of the car _except_ red, orange or white (not direct white light either, just for lighting the plate and backup lights).

Got stopped in a parking lot once in my '75 landcruiser because my backup light is a BRIGHT spotlight (gotta see). Cop was nice enough to just "warn" me but it was still silly. I just think he wanted to check out my ride...

ComputerKing
07-19-2006, 09:40 PM

YA This man Right Remeber Some thing ((( The Safety First On Driving ))):eek:

tennysol
07-20-2006, 09:27 AM

Another reason they are illegal is often also becasue there are specific colors associated with law enforcement and fire/rescue. In NY you can't have a blue light unless you're a cop or and EMT...