PDA

View Full Version : power with no motherboard...

ff0
04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
i'm want to mod a case and use it as a show peice meaning i just want power my accessories and dont want to put in a motherboard ... does anyone know how to do this?

Kaolian
04-15-2005, 06:49 PM
you have to complete the circut, but i'm not enough of an electrician to tell you how. it's either going to be just one bit of cabeling looped back upon itself, or maybe multiple pins.

Frakk
04-15-2005, 07:41 PM
you have to short out the green wire (pin14 to the a black wire). taadaam!

ZeD
04-15-2005, 07:58 PM
you have to short out the green wire (pin14 to the a black wire). taadaam!
just incase your not sure what shorting means, it means you need to connect the green wire on your PSU to any ground wire (any black wire) Take a paperclip and use that, cut it short so it doesnt accidentally come into contact with any metallic surface in your case or better yet cover it with electrical tape. However that tip if for a standard ATX PSU, if you have an old AT power supply lying around you just press the button and voila, power. My test PSU is an old AT unit.

Frakk
04-15-2005, 08:06 PM
sorry i assumed that people these days know what "short it out" means and i dont have to write an other paragraph on it lol :D

ZeD
04-15-2005, 08:17 PM
It's alright Frakk, just wanted to give the guy as much detail as possible. I don't know how extensive his knowledge on electronics is.

ff0
04-15-2005, 08:44 PM
thanks for the help. i guess i'll just splice the green and black wires. i can handle that. you're sure that the psu won't pop right? ... do they still sell AT pwr supplies? thanks for all the help its appreciated.

Frakk
04-15-2005, 08:52 PM
dont splice anything! argh... whats wrong with these people? :D just get a paperclip, stick one end in pin 14(the green wire) and the other in any of the black ones.

ff0
04-15-2005, 08:58 PM
ok...clam down :)...i'll just use a paperclip. isn't it the same thing?

Frakk
04-15-2005, 09:01 PM
just get a paperclip

yeah im pretty sure paperclip and paperclip is the same thing :) go ahead and try it. make sure the on/off switch is turned on in the back of the psu (if there is one) :D

ff0
04-15-2005, 09:06 PM
ok i'll try it thanks.

Matthew
04-15-2005, 09:41 PM
/me prays for his safty.

Whisp
04-17-2005, 01:02 PM
I use a paperclip but what i did was cut it to size and bent it. then I used heatshrink on the one part of it.

http://www.whisptech.com/archive/images/mixedcomputerPictures/clipshort.jpg

I just shove that in when the psu is turned off on the back of the unit. When I am ready to go just flick teh switch and viola it on lol.

ZeD
04-17-2005, 01:15 PM
yeah im pretty sure paperclip and paperclip is the same thing :) go ahead and try it. make sure the on/off switch is turned on in the back of the psu (if there is one) :D

NO!, make sure its OFF!@#!!! when you shove the paperclip in. And if there is no on\off switch unplug it completely (which you should do either way).

Frakk
04-17-2005, 08:36 PM
i meant make sure its on after he shorts it out. it really wont hurt even if its turned on because the electrons will flow through the metal wire anyways, and there are no high voltages there to start with either. and if you consider the real life situation, the psu is always on and you short it out like that. i wouldnt worry :)