PDA

View Full Version : A real computer crash

Xpirate
02-26-2014, 08:12 PM
I have experienced a real computer crash. My child had my wife's laptop on her lap. The machine was on top of a laptop pad and a pillow. My wife would not let her use the machine like that because she thought the kid was careless in the way she handled it on her lap. I did not know that policy and allowed my child to use it on her lap like that.

One really loud crash later, I had to salvage the old Toshiba laptop. It was good that I had a desktop that I could connect the laptop's hard drive to. I used it to retrieve my wife's stuff. The machine would not boot up because it hit the ground when it was running. The impact probably put a bad sector on a spot of the hard drive that kept it from booting up.

I resolved the bad sector with a reformat of the drive, but the video will not work. I took it apart with help from the good folks on the internet. I hoped it was just a connector that came loose, but it is not. Using a bright flashlight, I could see that the screen still worked. It was just the back light that died.

The machine is too old to want to try and fix. I hooked it to the TV and now have a home theater PC. I was going to upgrade it anyway, but I have to punish my kid for what she did. While I hooked it up to the TV, the kid said, "It wasn't my fault it broke." After hearing that, I have to do something.

When I was a child, I dropped a jar of jelly and my old man thrashed my behind and unloaded some loud heavy duty swear words while I cleaned it up. My child drops a laptop computer and I just said, "That's all right. We were going to upgrade anyway." After hearing her say that it was not her fault, I have concluded that I am not that great at being a parent.

Airbozo
02-27-2014, 12:08 PM
I have experienced a real computer crash. My child had my wife's laptop on her lap. The machine was on top of a laptop pad and a pillow. My wife would not let her use the machine like that because she thought the kid was careless in the way she handled it on her lap. I did not know that policy and allowed my child to use it on her lap like that.

One really loud crash later, I had to salvage the old Toshiba laptop. It was good that I had a desktop that I could connect the laptop's hard drive to. I used it to retrieve my wife's stuff. The machine would not boot up because it hit the ground when it was running. The impact probably put a bad sector on a spot of the hard drive that kept it from booting up.

I resolved the bad sector with a reformat of the drive, but the video will not work. I took it apart with help from the good folks on the internet. I hoped it was just a connector that came loose, but it is not. Using a bright flashlight, I could see that the screen still worked. It was just the back light that died.

The machine is too old to want to try and fix. I hooked it to the TV and now have a home theater PC. I was going to upgrade it anyway, but I have to punish my kid for what she did. While I hooked it up to the TV, the kid said, "It wasn't my fault it broke." After hearing that, I have to do something.

When I was a child, I dropped a jar of jelly and my old man thrashed my behind and unloaded some loud heavy duty swear words while I cleaned it up. My child drops a laptop computer and I just said, "That's all right. We were going to upgrade anyway." After hearing her say that it was not her fault, I have concluded that I am not that great at being a parent.

Give yourself some credit and accept that parenting is a "learned process". At least you are self critical and know you have limits.

Did you pop out of your mom's womb knowing how to install CPU's and memory? Same with parenting. The first child is as much a learning adventure for you guys as it is for them.

...but yes, cause and effect needs to be instilled at an early age or nothing will be their fault.

(did the SO give you stink eye?)

TheGreatSatan
02-28-2014, 01:13 AM
And that's why I only use SSD's

Twigsoffury
03-07-2014, 11:25 PM
that's why I only have desktops so incredibly heavy... they bow the desk they reside on, and no child is capable of moving it.

Xpirate
04-02-2014, 05:34 PM
I bought the wife a new Toshiba P55 laptop. They promptly broke the power adapter connector within about a month.

Fortunately the old power supply fits, but it is no longer tight. The way that connector is bent makes me believe that it was plugged in when it happened. And now the dang thing will not charge unless you giggle the connector just right. I'm going to have to open it up and try and repair it.

Their next machine needs to be certified for use in the Romper room.

Twigsoffury
04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
I bought the wife a new Toshiba P55 laptop. They promptly broke the power adapter connector within about a month.

Fortunately the old power supply fits, but it is no longer tight. The way that connector is bent makes me believe that it was plugged in when it happened. And now the dang thing will not charge unless you giggle the connector just right. I'm going to have to open it up and try and repair it.

Their next machine needs to be certified for use in the Romper room.

Instead of repairing the socket.

make yourself a cable, that dangles out of the laptop?

Xpirate
04-03-2014, 07:19 PM
Instead of repairing the socket.

make yourself a cable, that dangles out of the laptop?

I'll have to take a look and see what I can do. Oh well. It's all good.

Omega
04-04-2014, 03:04 AM
that's why I only have desktops so incredibly heavy... they bow the desk they reside on, and no child is capable of moving it.

sound logic right here.

pretty sure i threw my back out lifting my chassis in to place under my desk, damn thing is *heavy*.