PDA

View Full Version : Bugatti Mod (sorry bmw mod)

isunktheship
07-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Alrighty, I'm new to the whole modding deal, but I'm not new to 3d studio max! I'm hoping it will come in handy with this mod.

The basic idea is to make my own case from scratch, completely new, nothing taken from other cases at all. This is my first mod, so am I a little ahead of myself? Absolutely. Just a little bit of background, I have been building computers since my sophomore year in High School (barely 15 years old). I'm now in college, so I have the hardware process down pat. After reading these forums constantly and being inspired by the greatest (you know who you are), I have decided to build my own: Bugatti Mod

If you have not seen the Bugatti Veyron, feast your eyes.
http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/B/bugatti/03-large/05-veyron-close-s-a.jpg
Just a few specs *clears throat*:
1001 Horsepower
W16 engine (thats right 16)
248.5 top speed
1.3 million dollar car

Now go change ur boxers, and read on.

Okay, I've been working on this In 3d studio max. 3ds is usually used for movies, but because you can use units, it will do fine as a makeshift CAD program. Here are the pictures so far.

http://www.timkelleher.name/andy/Images/veyron/veyronf1.jpg

http://www.timkelleher.name/andy/Images/veyron/veyronf2.jpg

That's what I've got so far... I haven't worked with watercooling yet, but I may scrap some of the fans and switch to that. It depends how much money I want to spend...

Okay, now to explain my renderings. The blue box, as many of you may be wondering, is the 7 or 8 inch LCD screen! I was inspired by you geniuses out there that I had to do it. There will only be room for one cd drive /cry, but whatev, i barely use it and a CD/DVD burner will suffice.

The red box in the case, as seen from the back, near the top is the PSU. The flat red box under that is the ATX motherboard dimensions.

All of the orange boxes are 80mm fans (80x80x25mm). It may be hard to see but, there will be 2 fans behind the grill, one in the back of the case, 2 fans under the top air intakes, and later on I may add 2 100mm fans, one to go under each of the "EB" logos.

The majority of the case will be made out of dark acrylic, with a clear acrylic spot to see the interior. Sure the case may look nice, but everyone wants to see under the hood;) .

The task: Daunting
The tools: I have some...
The enthusiasm: Nothing can stop me.

If you have any questions/tips/etc plz leave them! As mentioned before I'm a noob, I'll need all the help from you guys as I can get!

Aero
07-16-2006, 11:03 PM
a "noob" that can use 3ds Max! I remember that from back in my Halo PC days. Never could figure it out though. Looks good I like, hope you decide to go through with it.

Cool1Net6
07-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Fantastic idea, built on a fantastic theme (I've seen the Bugatti Veyron Top Gear Episode). So far I cant find fault in your design, and I really like how the front and top arent just a flat level surface; the angles are tantalizing.

And more fun facts: VW looses around 5 million for every one of those sold.

-Cool-

isunktheship
07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I realllly want to do this, but I need to talk to an acrylic expert, a bondo expert, and an LCD expert!

I need to figure out the easiest way to sink some screwholes into this, then i can screw the side windows on for easy acess. I also don't know anything about LCD screens, but it doesn't look complicated. And then Bondo of course; i'll just read some tutorials.

Does anyone know where, you can buy the metals plates for a computer case:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/antecp160back.jpg
Its that whole plate, with the pci slots, and mobo slots.

.alchinko.
07-17-2006, 07:27 PM
ahhhhh if i was you i would call up a computer fixing place and ask them for an old case and take the drive bays and the back of it. it would save some time and money.... just an idea

isunktheship
07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I was thinking I might have to do that. I was hoping to find a website that sold extra parts like that, I have an acrylic case right now, and it has the peice I need. I really dno't want to dissect that case, but I'll see if I can rip apart some old Dell, or I'll just buy THIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811164023

I really don't care if the case works or not, I can take it apart and use its parts, including the mobo/pci plate. 8)

Cool1Net6
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
I was Googling before and came up with the following site: http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Internal-IO.htm

Hope This Helps.

-Cool-

isunktheship
07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Wow this site has some neat stuff, I'm looking through it to see if they have the whole piece... They have tons of I/O shields, but those come with the mobo anyways... I need the part that the I/O shields go into.

http://www.timkelleher.name/andy/Images/veyron/caseparts.JPG

I need that huge metal piece... this is the case I have right now, but I snagged the pic from www.xoxide.com. I may end up using the back panel from my old case, which would eliminate the problem entireley.

I also might make room for this...
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/xoxide_1905_21343709
LoL!

Thanks for your help!

Airbozo
07-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I am in the process of making one of those from plexi... (the I/O panel not the cup holder) because metal would not work for my mod. I just recently threw out the back part of the case....

isunktheship
07-18-2006, 08:08 PM
:eek:

Lol, I think I've got it worked out though.

simon275
07-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Looks like a nice case.

Its gonna be a pain to build you are gonna build that out of acrylic. Heh good luck is all that I can say. The sides I reckon will be hard to do as they buldge outwards. If you work on this i reckon it will end up in the
Featured Worklogs section.

Also praise for using 3ds. Doesnt it cost like $1000

GT40_GearHead
07-19-2006, 09:01 PM
i like it but..... i dont like it
know what you could do.... you could make sliker, like more wider

isunktheship
07-20-2006, 06:48 PM
wider like the asus lambo mod case?

oh, and yeah, 3ds is 1k! depending on what bundle you get it can be 1.5k or more!! I got it through my school for 50 bucks though, and i've never gotten rid of the cd because it would be throwing away sooo much $$.

GT40_GearHead
07-21-2006, 01:57 AM
not like that.....
i was thinking om the lines of longer, wider, shorter

overdosedelusion
07-21-2006, 03:07 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/xoxide_1905_21343709

that is ****ing genious :D

i can light a J and enjoy a cup of coffee whilst gaming ^^

GT40_GearHead
07-21-2006, 04:04 AM
easy with the "F" word, overdosedelusion;)

overdosedelusion
07-21-2006, 04:20 AM
easy with the "F" word, overdosedelusion;)

eck, sorry, i swear like a trucker. it's the gramatically inferiors sentence enhancer :P

ill try again :P

Jeepers thats cool Mr, now I can smoke my pipe and enjoy a hot cup of good morning Britain whilst a play on my personal computer.

isunktheship
07-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Jeepers thats cool Mr, now I can smoke my pipe and enjoy a hot cup of good morning Britain whilst a play on my personal computer.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg this is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.:D :D :D

Also, i KNOW i saw a picture of a guy starting his computer by KEY somewhere. Just like a car... If anyone know what I'm talking about. No buttons, or anything, just stick in the key, turn it, and bam, computers on.:rolleyes:

Airbozo
07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA omg this is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.:D :D :D

Also, i KNOW i saw a picture of a guy starting his computer by KEY somewhere. Just like a car... If anyone know what I'm talking about. No buttons, or anything, just stick in the key, turn it, and bam, computers on.:rolleyes:

When I worked at sgi, I had an onyx2 deskside with mod'd cases. It was painted with flames and a v-twin engine and had pipes mounted on it and an air cleaner. I replaced the boot tune with a sound of a harley starting.... I also put in a motion detector so that everytime anyone walked by my office, the deskside system would play the sound of a harley rev'ing and burning rubber. Alsowould play a vrml file of a harley riding down the road. I will see if I can dig up a picture or two...

isunktheship
07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
YESSS thats awesome! Definately post them!

MitaPi
07-26-2006, 04:52 AM
WOW! That is a nice car! and by the drawings it looks like it will be a sweeet mod! Good luck! oh and you should defiantly make room for the cup holder.. lol thats just common sense to go with that in a car theme mod!

isunktheship
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
haha, yeah i need to learn a LOT about acrylic, because I want this thing to look nice. does anyone know how to create threaded areas? for screwing the acrylic together.

Airbozo
07-31-2006, 12:43 AM
haha, yeah i need to learn a LOT about acrylic, because I want this thing to look nice. does anyone know how to create threaded areas? for screwing the acrylic together.

I just drilled and tapped. I am not sure about the holding strength though (like how far you can tourque the screws...), But it is strong enough for my motherboard mounts.

GT40_GearHead
07-31-2006, 02:07 AM
the only thing that i can ad to what Airbozo said is that you should use dril bits made for plexi, or look in triball's worklogs to find out how you should sharp up normal metal bits

isunktheship
07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
thanks for the tips! right now i see two possibilities...

1.) I thread the acrylic somehow, which can't be tightened easily, and is hard to do.
2.) The acrylic computer case I have now uses metal inserts into the acrylic. They drilled a hole into the acrylic, then glued in a metal threaded piece. Then your screw is held by the metal piece. This means you can have the screw tight, and it is probably safer. The case isn't going to fall apart.

If you have any other ideas please post them! :D

Airbozo
07-31-2006, 06:49 PM
I threaded the acrylic on my mobo tray for the standoffs and they are pretty tight. Not sure if they would hold good enough (with that thread size) for securing the case. The metal bits can be got at most large hardware stores.

GT40_GearHead
08-01-2006, 04:02 AM
the name of the game is "load spreading"
the metal inserts get disloged as well as threads in the acrylic.
before i go ahead with this remind me something: you wanna fix you're mobo or you wanna know how to hold you're case togeder

Durrthock
08-11-2006, 12:14 PM
nvm

isunktheship
08-13-2006, 02:08 PM
okay, i was thinking about building the case from scratch, all arcylic, and what not. Not I am thinking that I will just mod the acrylic case I ave right now. I'm going to see if I can get a thermaltake soprano while I mod this thing.

After that it should be pretty easy.

Killdogg5000
08-13-2006, 04:47 PM

What you need to make the PC start by key is a key switch. I'll search for a site with them. I'e seen the switches before.

edit:: I searched the net for some. If u would like to search for your self look up momentary keylock switches

this is what i found:
lock switches: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/626/1290.pdf

these are some mouser.com item numbers that should work for the mod.

642-JD-7510A
642-JD-7510E
642-JD-7510I

isunktheship
08-20-2006, 04:12 PM
this is perfect man!

why those 3 models specifically?

m4gnum
08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, I thought the veyron was a push button starter but the push button turned out to be the hazard lights...

Here's a shot of the starter http://www.automobilemag.com/features/great_drives/0605_2006_bugatti_veyron_ezra_dyer/photo_01.html (click the image on that page to enlarge)

Dirty Moogler
08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
loving the idea for this case ...
couple of questions ...
1.are u gonna hav a removable mobo tray or is it gonna b fixed in place ??

2.erm y all 80mm and not 120mm ? i always found 120mm fans more effective and quieter but that my opinion ...

erm u could possibly use a metal frame to mount the acrylic on to give it more strength .... though it may not look nice in the overall finish ...
ive seen cube like nut things ...basically theyr used in the inside of the case and used for joining corners and stuff ...ill try and find a link ....
or theres the L bracket things u can use ...

u can find stronger more durable acyrlics on the market but not sure about the colours they come in ...
however im sure if u use thicker ones it should b able to handle the load ...

u could always use laptop/slimline drives if u want more drives in a small space ...adapters r easily available ...
oh i thought these would look cool for the buttons/swithes in the top of the case
http://www.mnpctech.com/Vandal_Resistant_Switch.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/search.html?mv_profile=keyword_search&mv_session_id=5b3vuwAf&mv_searchspec=Vandal+Switch&go.x=14&go.y=9

hope some of my babble helps ;)

DM