PDA

View Full Version : a need to know about ati crossfire

busandave
07-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I have the x1900xtx and the x1900 crossfire master cards installed on my asus p5wd2 premium mobo and all is good and working great.
now the question is why wont the vivo on the slave card work? from what I have read the slave card has to be in the top slot for the vivo to work and the master card in slot 2. from other forums and threads it seems that if I do switch the cards there should not be any change to getting crossfire to work as well. Is this true? As Ati says that the master card has to be in the main pci slot but also says that if you want vivo the slave card has to be in the main slot.???
Can any one help and answer this ? If I move the master card to the second slot to get vivo will crossfire still work?

thanks a lot.

d_stilgar
07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
I think I remember reading at hardocp that there has been a change in which one goes where. If you search hardocp you will probably find out how it is supposed to be plugged in. They have to be plugged in in the right place or else it will not work properly.

If this does not work out, however, you can just scrap the whole idea and send those cards my way. ;)

busandave
07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
thanks I will check the site. I have read that people are seeing no difference in performance no matter what slots they go in. but wanted to ask before I go through the work of pulling them out and finding that it does not work. as for sending them your way :p

CanaBalistic
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Master card? I thought the 2 video cards had to be exactly the same. Which would negate any master/slave. Is it a jumper on the card or an internal setting?

Please tell me you dont have to first buy a "master" card before you can use a "slave" card.. That would drasticly turn me off of crossfire.

simon275
07-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes one card has to be a special cross fire card. An the other one has to be the same card but normal.

busandave
07-17-2006, 11:44 PM
yes there is a master card and a slave card it does not matter what the slave card is as long as it comes from the same series.

really it's that big a deal as both cards have TV out the only problem I see is that it's the slave card only that has vivo.
I used to have a navida geforce nt 7800gt but the cards were discontinued so I switched camps and went to ati.

and so far I have very happy with them I just need to know from someone can I put the slave card in the primary slot so that vivo will work and crossfire too.

does anybody know????

thanks in advance

Slug Toy
07-18-2006, 03:49 AM
i cant give you a definite answer, but i can offer a thought about this.

seems to me the master card is the one that is meant to output in a crossfire situation. if the master card theoretically has vivo functionality, maybe its as simple as just making sure you're using the master card.

i honestly dont know a lot about any dual card setup. i dont do dual card, and dont really care about it... takes up too much power and room for my liking. all i can give are educated guesses.

busandave
07-18-2006, 08:55 PM
but that's just it the master card does not have vivo only the slave card in the current configuration everything i have read says that vivo will return if the slave card goes to the primary slot but the question is what does that do to crossfire?
thanks

CanaBalistic
07-19-2006, 08:56 PM
what does that do to crossfire?

I think Dr.Science said it best... Experiment.

Is Nvidia the same way with the master/slave cards? It was a Nvidia site that told me the cards just had to be the exact same.

I will not get Crossfire. Thats the most retarded thing i've ever heard. It figures though... Just another way to milk the population for more money on somthing that'll be outdated and regarded as trash in 2 yrs. Even though they could easily make it run off 2 identical cards. Which would make it cheaper and better for the end user.

@*&$ YOU ATI!!!

Sorry, it had to be said.