PDA

View Full Version : other overclocking

rusty shackleford
07-17-2006, 01:49 PM
since this is the overclocking section i thought id most likely be able to get an answer here. is it possible to overclock things other than cpu, fsb, and gpu? like couldnt you overclock the fans/hdd/optical drive?

Airbozo
07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
You would have to have access to some rom burners (and extensive drive bios programming knowledge)to change anything on the hard drive. I am not 100% positive, but rotational speeds are not adjustable. About the only thing you can mess with on your HD would be the data chunk size and I am pretty sure that is done in the registry. 'Bout the only thing I can suggest is search google for "hard drive data block size" and see if that helps. If you are determined to get the BEST possible speed and performance out of your drive, you can muck with the partition size to limit the movement of the heads (EX: only use the inside or outside of the platters for data. Did this on some high end video editing systems and decreased the disk access times by about 30%! Only problem was the fact that we only ended up with 15gb usuable space on a 73gb drive. Not really feasable now days with all the storage products on the market.)

OC'ing the optical drives is pretty much not possible for most of the reasons above.

Fans: SpeedFan, will help.

Omega
07-17-2006, 07:01 PM
yea, you can "overclock" those things. Fans are easy.

ATX connectors have all sorts of fun voltages! like, +5, -5, +3.3, -3.3, +12, -12, etc. Well, instead of wiring your fan so that it has a +12v and a ground, wire it so that it has +12v and -12v. That's 24 volts! the only problem is that that fan will last about a week.

rusty shackleford
07-18-2006, 02:24 PM
:? i have a compaq and lack the ability to overclock it what should i do? and are the 9xx pentium d's as good of a base for overclocking as the 805? what would the max overclock for the 930 be without watercooling? and i read that the multipliers on the 930 are locked is this true? and is there anyway to make sure i get a c-1 revision rather than a b-1 due to the fact the b-1's run hotter?

Airbozo
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
We have a customer that requests certain model/revisions of the processors and it slows things up a bit while the supplier checks thier inventory. Some times they are just not available since they are older and most distributors try and get rid of the old inventory first. They also do this with the drives they order.

rusty shackleford
07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
where do you work at and do you have any knowledge of what the 9xx pentium d's can be overclocked to?

Airbozo
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
where do you work at and do you have any knowledge of what the 9xx pentium d's can be overclocked to?

I work at a company called MCE (mce.com), and I do not know the possible overclocking limits on those procs. Not even sure you can, but I guess that would partly depend on the mobo.

rusty shackleford
07-23-2006, 06:53 PM
i know how to overclock a fan and i think im gunna do it with the old 40mm fan from the proc heatsink you can take winds off the armature dramatically speeding it up but you have to know what your doing and making the tip of the fan bldes where the air rolls off if you make that closer to being perpindicular to the fan body it should pump more air ill hopefully find out tomorrow like if i get a replacement ever for the antec 80mm smart cool i got today i could have it running 20000rpm+ due to how many winds are on the armature id take it down to somewhere between 2-5 winds but i think it only works with fans that have a single speed which is topping out