PDA

View Full Version : BackPack Mod

Ichbin
07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I have already started it and forgot to take pictures. I will take pictures of the progress I have so far and post them later.

But anyways, Time to introduce myself, my name is Ichbin, and I'm "attempting" to create a computer that is both versatile and powerful.

I had been thinking about a Computer Backpack for quite a bit, I know that other people have done it, but so far, not to the extent I'm going. I hope I get Beginners luck. What I want this mod to do, is to have the monitor attach to the backpack itself and connect to the computer whilst it is attached. In essence all I would really have to do is place my backpack somewhere on a table, plug the mouse, keyboard, and power in and presto, its up.

The mod starts off with a Black Military backpack (Dimensions will be posted later) and some PVC pipe. I have to make a frame for the backpack so the motherboard and hardware have something sturdy to attach to. I took the measurements of the backpacks insides so I could make this PVC frame for it. I've cut the PVC and glued it all together for a fairly sturdy frame. Although for now some parts of this frame bend, it's only because I haven't Fully supported it.It fits VERY snuggly though. I then mutilated an Old case for the motherboard mounts and riveted it to the PVC (yes it does in fact stay on quite well). As of this moment I need to buy the motherboard so I can cut holes in the bag were the PS2 and the rest of the ports go, and figure out a way for the CD tray to work. I also need to get some sheet metal to tool around with for extra frame support.

Im improvising as I go, but improvising is my specialty. I really hope you guys enjoy this worklog, and I will keep you posted when new events appear.

Very sorry for the crazy ass grammar.

Cagedconnerman
07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
dude, thats a SWEET idea, i'll be following this

maximan1
07-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Pretty cool and it would be even cooler if you made a pocket for the mouse and a side space for the keyboard too.

simon275
07-19-2006, 03:55 AM
What about ventalation? and you are putting a PS2 in it dont u mean a psu.

Yeah have the IO ports where ever you are going to have it on the bag. And have a canvans flap over it with velcoro.

What are you gonna do about a monitor?

Or you just gonna lug one around.

A small LCD on rails that comes up out of the bag and locks into postion would be cool. Put its a bit ambitous and expensive though. If you did do that you wouldn't need io ports on one side of the case. Have it all internal and use a wirless keyboard and mouse.

jestyyr
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
unless they mean PS2 as in the mouse/keyboard plug?
sounds like and interesting mod, cannot wait to see how you go about this.
for the cd tray 3 suggestions come to mind,
1. fasten it to the pvc frame, prefferrably somewhere where it will be at a 90 or 180 degree angle to the desk or whatever you will sit it on when using it (am pretty sure cd/dvd drives like to be level and the right way up).
2. (dependant upon having spare material and your ability at sewing) make a flap that covers the drive when not in use.
or 3. they are pretty rare but you might be able to find a slot loading drive, which would mean you only needed a slit with clean edges in the bag (I mean 5.25 slot loaders seem rare).

simon275
07-20-2006, 09:36 PM
The slot loaders are rare because they can't take those small Mini CD's you get with advertising flyers.

Should be interesting I think this is one of the first computer mods Ive seen where sewing is a required skill. :)

Ichbin
07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I will prolly go with water cooling for obvious reasons.

I also have a kickass tailor on my side helping me out (For free!).

As for the CD player....A slot loader would be cool but....theyre hard to find, plus i want a burner.

d_stilgar
07-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Water cooling in a backpack. That would be really cool to see.

AND, from our very own community site: The boblbee mod.
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=photoshare&func=showimages&fid=8

NadeChaser
07-21-2006, 06:40 AM
that is awesome... post some pics!

slaveofconvention
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
You can get a slot load 5.25" dvd burner - i think its a plextor - but they're silly money - how badly do you want the slot - enough to pay almost triple what a tray loader goes for?

simon275
07-21-2006, 10:06 PM
A case with portable water cooling. Sounds like a disater waiting to happen. Stick with fan colling In this case I reckon. Water colling is to much of a risk. I know the lliquids are nto conductive but. If one of those systems leak they are a reall pain to fix and dry out.

GT40_GearHead
07-22-2006, 10:18 AM
i dont agree, simon, the water sistem is on stop, the fitings are the same, on the ground and an his back, the one thing he should be carefull is the res, by that i mean the breather or fill port should be on the end of long tube so is not afected bi the splater in the tank, this alows that bit of tube to remain dry
;)

Ichbin
07-25-2006, 09:52 AM
sorry for the wait guys, and its gonna have to be a lil longer, ive taken the pictures, but my sister has seemingly misplaced the power cord for the dock of my camera....:eek:

So it might be a couple more days.

As for Pre-FAQ

1. The PVC frame is bent for a reason. It makes it easer to slip it in and out of the bag. (Youll know what i mean when i get pictures up.)

2. Ive got a lot of tailoring to do.

As for the slot loader, I'm prolly not gonna do that. What im prolly gonna do is zipper openings for the trays/everything. It will add protection and last longer then velcro.

Im hoping to get this sucker done by October, because i leave for Germany in November.

Ichbin
07-28-2006, 11:47 AM
I still can't find the power, so I might just buy a putty disposable camera, or just find a friend with one...

My deadline has been uplifted and i can finish it whenever....Im getting a laptop for germany, just because it is easier to deal with. Im still making the mod, but itll take a bit longer.

simon275
07-29-2006, 03:20 AM
That's ok take as along as you want we will always be here but when you do make some progress be sure to post some pictuers. Oh an concerning your camera problem go to one of those large camera shops and see if they have a charging dock or a cable. Some brands use the same charging docks for a bunch of their camera's as its cheaper that way.

I beg to differ GT40_GearHead water cooling I think is a bad idea.

If the system breaks then the bag will be soaked and will probably stain a funny colour due to the werid colours they have in colling liquid's these days. And the kits are fragile but I guess he could run the cooling in the frame but If one of the connections broke when he was on his way to a lan he wouldn't be able to game as it would take at least a good day to dry eveything out. But air cooling always works. Never breaks down never leaks. In any other situation water cooling is better maybe even in rigid cases that are moved around but not in the case (pun!)

Ichbin
02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, im rising this from the dead finally, as I have finally moved to Germany.

I ditched the PVC piping. Although great for the weight, I don't think it's what is meant to be.

So, from this point, consider this mod restarted from scratch.

I am drawing up my RE-Designs and I will post them accordingly. I still have the issue of "To water cool, or not to water cool". Water cooling would sure be the most efficent way of doing things, but if something pops a gasket, there goes the circus.:banana:

I still have no fundage going for me, English speaking jobs in good ol' deutschland are much harder to find, if you do not have the German language mastered yet.

It also looks like I will have to Design the entire backpack itself, so a slight change from all the metal work we see on this forum to a little bit o tailoring. (I am a jack of all trades lol)

I'm hoping you guys will like my design concept because I do plan on possibly selling this in the future (Possibly when the mod is done and I can build some more)

Sketches to look forward to are:
The sliding housing for the actual computer parts for scalability. (So you can upgrade it)
The Monitor Attachment system.
My "Proxy" wire box <---this one will be cool

Talk to you guys later! And hey! send me an IM, im lonely :(

armadilloben
02-06-2007, 10:42 PM
A case with portable water cooling. Sounds like a disater waiting to happen. Stick with fan colling In this case I reckon. Water colling is to much of a risk. I know the lliquids are nto conductive but. If one of those systems leak they are a reall pain to fix and dry out.

i dont agree, simon, the water sistem is on stop, the fitings are the same, on the ground and an his back, the one thing he should be carefull is the res, by that i mean the breather or fill port should be on the end of long tube so is not afected bi the splater in the tank, this alows that bit of tube to remain dry
;)

i agree with simon

i mean all i could think of is some kid picking the backpack up then dropping it smashing the hdd along with the majoirty of the other components (make sure everything is shock proof!) and having green "oooozzee" leak out of it

i think that it is a great idea but i think their will be some problems that will come up

-ben

Ichbin
02-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Thats another engineering feat that im currently sweating to resolve.

two things im thinking up.

1.black foam (Stuff you see in your laptop breifcases)
or 2. Metal layer, silicone gel layer, metal layer. Kinda sandwiching the silicone between the two metal layers, so if the outer "Shell" gets hit, the silicone aborbs some of it.

Of course its still a WIP (works in progress) so ideas would be much appreciated. I will post the monitor jerry riggin design tommorow when i have time.

EDIT:
Actually, cross out the scanning, im going to VLOG it, with narration! lets see some innovation!

simon275
02-07-2007, 01:40 AM
You can buy backpacks with hard shells inside them to protect laptops what ever. And you could build a compauter into one of the hard shells.

Good to see you are back on track mate.

Ichbin
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Wasn't able to do the video for 1 reason, Germany and youtube take forever.
I'm not going to bother with it.

ANYWHO!

My CRUDE sketch drawing of the Monitor Rigging.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/scan0001.jpg

I'm going to explain each section,
The upper left portion of this design is actually the "What it's supposed to look like". Obviously the bag looks like ****, I've never drawn bags lol.
The whole idea of this rigging is so the monitor can attach to the outside of the case. The first thing that popped into my head was "How?".

That's what the upper right drawing is for. It's a close up on one of the riggings so that the monitor would be able to attach itself to a backpack. What I'm thinking is to get a woven nylon band, attaching one end to the female portion of the buckle and the other end to a slot cut through the top portion of the monitor. If I found out the monitor has no room for a cut hole, then I would prolly created little attachements that would latch on/glue on the monitor. I would most likely have 4 on the top (Despite the drawing. The more you have the less stress on any given strap an less likely to break.) On each strap i will also do a double X pattern stitch for strength.

The second problem I encountered was damage. Someone lugging around a monitor with the face exposed is bound to get that thing scratched of something.

This is were the lower right picture explains it.

However I do not 100% like this idea, and I'm thinking of a better alternative, I wrote down the first thing that popped in my head. An acrylic/plexi "Sheild". Just a square piece of somewhat thin acrylic to cover the face providing the protection from the actual monitor breaking. This would also add extra strength for the nylon bands. (That's what those little grappling hook dealys are.) Suggestions for this are much appreciated, but when thinking, KEEP THE FACE OUT. I want this mod to have the ability of "Setting down the bag, plugging in 1 power cord, 1 eternet cord, and hitting the power button". So those are the terms.

Another thought that came to me.
What would happen if a kid goes to a lan, and doesn't have enough deskspace to put the bag on the desk.

I thought I had tackled this problem with the ability to buckle and unbuckle the monitor from the bag.

I forgot to think about...monitors need a stand :dead:

So now I have to design a....plastic/metal stand that is retractable to hook onto the monitor. You can kind of see the idea in the lower left picture on the side view...but I just drew that in before I scanned it and it looks quite shoddy. That shouldn't be to difficult for me to think up.

As for the ability to unlatch the monitor, I have also thought up a cable solution with it. The power/video cable coming from the monitor will be strung around on the bag (Behind the monitor when latched) and tied up with velcro latches. Think of....looping an extension cord and then getting velcro to keep them bunched together, but instead, the velcro is attached to the bag.

This is all I have available as of this moment for the monitor rigging, everything is still getting more notes added on to it.

I love dynamic designs ^.^:p

I wish I could've given more visual aid, but it's really hard to do that when you actually dont have the parts built yet.

I'm still drawing plans up. I have to get the "Slide cage" designed for the actual case. So you can take the parts in and out of the bag with ease.

ANY ideas would be much appreciated and taken into consideration.

-Ichbin

(Hot freaking damn...i wrote a lot for just a design sketch. lol!:glasses:

Crimson Sky
02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Worklogs need pictures! Here is a backpack mod I made, maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Boblebee Mod (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=photoshare&func=showimages&fid=8)

jdbnsn
02-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Didn't I see that Boblebee on hackaday.com? I thought it was a motorcycle fender/attachment or something.

Ichbin
02-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Worklogs need pictures! Here is a backpack mod I made, maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Boblebee Mod (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=photoshare&func=showimages&fid=8)

As for the pictures, these are just design sketches. I have NO materials because all my equipment is American Voltage. So I have nothing.

As for your backpack mod, think of it as...I'm going onestep further :bunny:

My mom did just get a sewing machine, and I'm heading back to the states for 2 weeks. I might be able to get the inside cage built. MIGHT is the keyword.

I should be purchasing Military weight canvas fabric when I am there though, and I can start on the bag.

I am almost done with the "Cage" sketches.

The "Cage" is what the actual computer will slide into. It give stability,strength, and form to the bag itself. Think of it as the skeletal structure.

I'll post soon.

Ichbin
03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Ooook, Little bits have changed involving design. I'm not going to release the newer designs cause well, I wanna put on a show ^.^

New things that happened to me, I know I posted earlier on being depressed, although I still am, I'm definitally on the road to recovery, so thanks for the guys that listened, and sorry for to the mods for spamming the forum with my nonsene lol.

I did not get the inside cage built, cause I didn't have the fundage for parts, and i didnt have the time.

I have also recruited my brother into helping me build this sucker. Two minds are greater then one! (Especially when I'm sort of an engineer, and hes more of an artist)

Well, I got back to Germany, and I tell my parents about the idea and they REALLY like it. Enough to actually help me pay for parts (Not computer parts, like....equipment) which im quite gratefull for.

Anyways, I goto the local "Karitas" which is a German salvation army pretty much, and I look at the putty machines they have to offer.

I picked this one.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010019.jpg
Its a desktop computer if you hadn't noticed. I figured itd be the easiest to work with considering my design. That's my brother being a weirdo and scraping off the price tag :P.

Anyways, here are some more pics of the case.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010021.jpg

This one is cool cause it has a SLIDING door for the trays. I might have to keep that ^.^
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010020.jpg

Well, firsts thing first. Time to gut! SCALPEL!

This story begins as a man, unscrews what is not known to be destiny, this man unscrews a curse within a metallic shell. One that will unlock our heros greatest weakness......
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010022.jpg
....****ing allerigies! damnit! I couldnt stop sneezing there was so much dust!

Of course I know this thing is ancient....but man! I didnt know it was this ancient!
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010023.jpg
An IBM processor! Ive never seen one! (I know, i know, buncha old people on this forum have..i know...)

Lol, Im big pimpin as well in the graphics area!
(I know tough to read, says ATI 3d RAGE II.)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010025.jpg

One thing i thought was pretty cool looking was the Harddrive. Its a whopping 2 gigs, but this thing might give me some inspiration.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010038.jpg

Anyways, after an annoying amount of screws and an annoying amount of sneezing, I finally strip the entire thing to the bare skeleton.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010042.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010041.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010040.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/elgichbin/P1010043.jpg

That's all i have for now. Im hoping I should be able to aquire a new dremel, and other tools soon. Possibly this week if i beg enough llol.

Toooottttallly sucks that i dont have an income. lol. Meh, I see what i can do for cash.

squilliam
03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Sell stuff!

Commando
03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Looks awesome. I can't wait to see this come together.

Ichbin
03-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Ohhh! by the way. this mod is more...engineering then it is actual athetics (Spelling anyone?)

Trust me, when I get to the good parts...mannnnn itll be good.

Just think "Cartridge". lol...theres my hint.

Crimson Sky
03-06-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah yeah cut the baloon juice and show us some moddin'!

Omega
03-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Ohhh! by the way. this mod is more...engineering then it is actual athetics (Spelling anyone?)

Trust me, when I get to the good parts...mannnnn itll be good.

Just think "Cartridge". lol...theres my hint.

it's spelled aesthetics.

squilliam
03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Remember! suprises suck, worklogs rock!

b4i7
03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
but worklogs are about surprises....so you technically just contradicted yourself

NocturnaL
03-08-2007, 06:29 PM
awesome mod man. But instead of setting it on a table, you should just have the monitor wrap around your head and a mouse and keyboard arm rest or somethin, would be great for war-walking haha

Gohan
03-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Cool, post some pics

Ichbin
03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I just recently got myself a "rotary tool" to have fun with. Isnt a dremel, but hey, my dremel is at home, im only stayin in germany for 2 years. I think that its a good thing since i only got it for like...15 dollars (Germany has the best ****ing sales EVER).

New pics (Although shorter worklog) will be posted tommorow. I have to find out where to obtain metal and bondo.....

squilliam
03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
worklog!
worklog!
worklog!

*starts eating pants*