PDA

View Full Version : ASUS p4p800 SE issues

isunktheship
07-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Wow am I glad there is an area to post this!:D

Okay, if you read my signature you will see my computer stats. (if anything there is vague, or you have a question about it please ask!)

Right now I pull about 20 fps in HL2, same with Doom3, and I haven't even tried Farcry. I originally had a Radeon x800 card, but thought there was a problem with it, so I sent it back. AFter installing the x1300 I see the same problem. Low fps!:mad:

The card is AGP, but I have heard that even being AGP the card should be able to pull off about 70-80 fps, with decent settings. Heres another thing, I get about 20fps when the cards settings are maxed out, and I get maybe 5 more (25 for those math geniuses) when the card is at the lowest settings.

I have updated my drivers, reformatted, tried different cards, and I do have a 600 Watt PSU I would switch in to replace the 450 Watt one, but I doubt that's the problem.

I want to say that it is clear that the video card isn't the problem, and that this is a motherboard compatibility issue, but I may be wrong! If you can help, please do so, I may have just forgotten something stupid.:?

AKA_RA
07-19-2006, 05:26 AM
well, first of all, what settings are you running on those games. or is that what you were talking about when you said card settings. secondly, please tell me that you arent using the onboard graphics by mistake.

Airbozo
07-19-2006, 02:25 PM
also check the bios settings for your agp slot. Check things like agp bus speed (for that card it should be x8 if your mobo can handle it). See what the agp aperature size is as that card will run good with the size set to at least 128. Also go into the catalyst software and check the settings in there to see what they say. There are a couple of different settings that could be the cause.

isunktheship
07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
thanks for the replies, i have the agp speed set at 8x, the aperture is at 256 right now, maybe i should lower that.

oh, and yes, i was talking about card settings, quality, and in game settings. anistropic filtering, etc.

i'm almost certain I'm not running this off of the onboard graphics, because is it possible to run doom or bf2 while still being on my onboard? im not sure if my onboard is that fast. But how can I check to make sure?

I'll search through my BIOS to see if there are other things.

MaD.VeZ
07-20-2006, 10:21 AM
What Settings are you using in HL2 doom 3 ect. Screen resolution? Screen refresh rate? colour Quality?

Its just a shot in the dark but have you tried using different drivers?

I have a nvidia fx5500 in a p4p800s-x and if i use the "latest drivers" my fps drops in all my online games except for Counter strike source, i had to do several forum searches to find some that worked well (66.99 if any 1`s intrested). Also there are alot of driver settings that can dramatically increase your fps like disabling V-sync for example,if u read up it helps!, but its mostly trial and error to find whats best for each game/application.

just a side not but if your online gamming your connection can effect your fps alot depending how the games coded. when i was on 56k i never saw more than 20fps on Delta Force Black Hawk Down but now im on 2mb dsl i get 80+ with the same rig.

May not be entirely relevant but hope it helps:)

overdosedelusion
07-21-2006, 12:42 AM
doom3, fallout, fear, deus ex 2, HL2, everything at max on 1280 x 1024 ^^ love this rig :D

isunktheship
07-21-2006, 06:12 PM
im gonna cut you.

overdose, I'm just going to straight up buy all the parts you have for my next computer. hrm... ill need to sell a kidney for that 4800 though.

are new motherboards going to have to be dx10 compatible? I dunno why they would be... also, theres no real point for me to upgrade soon because of the new processors and video cards that are coming out, i should hope to save some cash. I dont want to buy a video card now, and then have to upgrade in 5 months with dx10.

overdosedelusion
07-22-2006, 05:18 PM
im gonna cut you.

overdose, I'm just going to straight up buy all the parts you have for my next computer. hrm... ill need to sell a kidney for that 4800 though.

the 4800 was rather pricey, but it wasnt much up from the 4600, and it has 2mb of L2 cache, compared to only 1mb with the 4600.

are new motherboards going to have to be dx10 compatible? I dunno why they would be... also, theres no real point for me to upgrade soon because of the new processors and video cards that are coming out, i should hope to save some cash. I dont want to buy a video card now, and then have to upgrade in 5 months with dx10.

the onlt that could stop you is probably the conroe, ive not heard much regarding graphics, unless ATI are releasing a 7950 type model. like 2x1900's on one board for qaud crossfire or something :S

isunktheship
07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
awesome! yeah i;m probably going to go with AMD anyways. Plus new technology is out of my price range.

I've decided that my problem is that I'm using AGP is a PCI-16x world. Thankfully my b-day is coming up within a month.8)

yousuredo
08-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a nvidia fx5500 in a p4p800s-x and if i use the "latest drivers" my fps drops in all my online games except for Counter strike source, i had to do several forum searches to find some that worked well (66.99 if any 1`s intrested). Also there are alot of driver settings that can dramatically increase your fps like disabling V-sync for example,if u read up it helps!, but its mostly trial and error to find whats best for each game/application.

May not be entirely relevant but hope it helps:)

Hey, I just ordered that Video card (bfg fx5500oc/AGP/256) and have the asus p4p800s MB...
Can you clue me in...
to the setting, forums, and info you found to be most usefull...
thx, chris

CanaBalistic
08-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Another thing that might affect you FPS is how many background tasks you're running. I have a problem with my CPU usage indicator program that wont let me start up any games unless its turned off. You might have a program that is using up a good portion of the cpu. Before you start your games, make sure ALL NON-ESSENTIAL programs are closed. AV programs are non essential and use a huge amount of the cpu. Another thing you can try is to set the thread priority on your games to high or real-time. You can set that in task manager.

You can try to overclock or get new drivers. I'd recomend Omega Drivers for best performance. http://www.omegadrivers.net/