PDA

View Full Version : Necessities for the new Conroe processors?

Shroomy
07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
I've been trying to do some reading on the new Intel Conroe processors, but I am confused about what is necesary on the motherboard to support it. I was reading the wikipedia article about them, and chose a motherboard model accordingly, but there was also talk of a VRM 11 being another necesity. While looking around on Newegg for a suitable mobo I could not find anything about this or any VRM for that matter. Is this something external that must be put on? Will they release new mobos along with the Conroe that support it? Sorry I am pretty confused about this and would appreciate greatly if someone could clear the whole situation up for me.

Silenced_Coyote
07-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Just look for motherboards that say specifically that they support Conroe. I think Newegg hasn't updated thier products and search engine yet because Conroe isn't released yet. There are motherboards that support it. Here is a site that I read that is like a "buyer's guide" for Conroe systems. I hope it helps.
AnandTech (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797)

The VRM is not something external or put on ("put on" as like you would do for RAM). It is something already incorporated into the motherboard. VRM is nothing new itself. Just think of it as a new and updated version.

If you need more help, I can dig up some more guides and Conroe related things.

Slug Toy
07-21-2006, 03:28 AM
seems to me the intel 965 chipset is for conroe... its coming out at the same time. the 975 chipset should do as well (some will support it, and earlier ones supposedly only need a bios update).

i think i saw somewhere that there are a couple compatible boards with nforce4 chipsets too.

but ya, try to find ones that specifically state "conroe ready".

rusty shackleford
07-22-2006, 11:15 AM
the 965 has been out for some time i dont know exactly how long whats new with the conroe anyways i havent stumbled across any articles and havent had the time to find one to read up on them on

rusty shackleford
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
the 965 has been out for some time i dont know exactly how long whats new with the conroe anyways i havent stumbled across any articles and havent had the time to find one to read up on them on

notochord
07-24-2006, 12:40 PM
does anyone know when the conroe chip is going to come out i heard at the end of july but iono if it was from a reliable source.

and how much do you think its gonna cost??

jreffy
07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Supposedly the new Conroe's hit the market yesterday, Sunday the 23rd of July. I tend to believe this because AMD had announced a drastic slash in prices for their processors slated to start on the same day or the today the 24th.

As for motherboards, I am also taking a hard look at the Conroe. From the information I have gathered there is no motherboard out right now that is build FOR the Conroe. Supposedly the 975 chipset is going to be the way to go, but only until it is on an "optimized" motheboard. I plan on just waiting a few weeks, working on modding my first case, before I start collecting parts to build the actual computer. By that time I'm hoping there's a little bit more information and hardware out there for the Conroe.

Silenced_Coyote
07-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I guess no one clicked my link to AnandTech...

There ARE motherboards out that support Conroe (Core 2 Duo). Here is one example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028&ATT=13-131-028&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me

I heard the release date is July 27.

This is the price chart that I have been seeing:
CPU Clock Speed L2 Cache Price
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz 4MB $999
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz 4MB $530
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 4MB $316
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB $224
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz 2MB $183

But prices may change depending on the supply.

notochord
07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
i read that article i think im gonna get the DFI board for my dads comp..

Slug Toy
07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
the extreme edition release is the 27th. the regular versions... thats kind of an unknown, but there were some rumours of august 7th.

notochord
07-25-2006, 01:01 AM
i cant find them anywhere??

Silenced_Coyote
07-27-2006, 03:48 PM
The Core 2 Duo CPUs have been unleashed!

Oh, I see them for sale at Tiger Direct. I don't see the X6800 though... A bit more than the price list I posted earlier.

notochord
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
how come newegg doesnt have them??

Silenced_Coyote
07-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Today is the "official announcement" of Conroe. It wasn't exactly a "hard launch"(I hope I am using this term correctly). Few places have it and I heard that they are shipping and should be more available in a week or so. I think you should be able to get them in systems for Dell, Alienware, etc. (but who wants that? lol)

EDIT: I see the E6300 is available at ZipZoomFly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80858).
The others are on back-order.

notochord
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
im really confused

core duo and core 2 duo arent the same thing right?????????????

Silenced_Coyote
07-30-2006, 08:16 PM
They are NOT the same thing, hence the "2".

meticoeus
08-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I read (but can't remember where) that the official launch was primarily for system builders like dell. The public is supposed to have access to them over the following month. So we should see them become available throughout the month, depending on where you shop.

And I think you used the term "hard launch" correctly. This would be a "soft launch" as initial availability is sparse.

Silenced_Coyote
08-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Yep, they are slowly becoming more and more available. Popping up at retail stores like Fry's (outpost.com) and Microcenter.

Anyways, I don't have to worry since I don't start building my PC until December.