PDA

View Full Version : External PSU's and Stepping down Voltage

Luke122
07-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey there everyone, here's a question.

I have a 12v DC "wall wart" type power supply that came with a set of desktop speakers. The output is 12v DC, 1amp.

I'd like to use it to drive a couple of Cooler Master 80mm fans. They require 12v DC and .2amp.

How do I "step down" the output so that it's suitable for this application? :?

I suppose I could just run 5 fans (5 x .2amps = 1amp), but I'd rather run just the one for less noise.. one will be plenty for this project anyways. I would just run them off a regular molex connector, but there are none.. I'm building this box out of laptop components (ie $0 budget).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Luke122
07-22-2006, 12:42 AM
No replies?

I'm not talking about opening this thing up and modding it, I'm wondering if I can use a resistor or something in-line to the fan to reduce the output from 1 amp to .2amps, without affecting the voltage (12v).

Anyone?

simon275
07-22-2006, 04:28 AM
Hey sorry I didn't see this earliear. You dont have to do a thing. The power supply can have a load drawen from it of up to 1 amp so just plug the fans in and away you go as they will only draw .2amps each from it.

Omega
07-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Exactly what Simon said. It can do up to 1A, but it can do anything under that, too.

Guttenaffe
08-09-2006, 03:24 PM
You don't have to step anything down, you just need to be sure to have the following for your powersuppy.
Have some type of load on it (unless it is self loading)
Do not exceed the max load Ω and/or mA