PDA

View Full Version : Any help with Mod Idea?

mog108
07-21-2006, 02:01 AM
New to case modding? Yep, never made one in my life.

I had a really complicated idea for a case mod. Then I decided there would be about 5000 easier ways to do it. I just dont know any of them

Well Im not sure what my obsession is with city skylines at night- but it worked its way into an idea for my mod. For all intensive purposes here, I'd like to take one side of a case and either use the open window or put one in. I want to somehow put a picture- an actual picture is fine, Im not necessarily drawing anything, and take LEDs behind the picture to light it up. Perhaps resistors and such to allow timed blinking and flickering- but thats purely based on the difficulty.

So If I wanted my pc case to look like this picture (or a picture like it)... how would I go about it? Anyone have any ideas? (By the way- if you can invent a way to do this successfully- you may or may not be some sort of God)

http://www.simonho.org/images/Australia/Melbourne_CityNight.jpg

Thanks!

-Ryan

Airbozo
07-21-2006, 02:21 AM
take that picture (or the one you want to use) to a processing house and have them print it on a clear sheet of plastic. They do it all the time. Then mount it behind a window with some lights for effects.

Tweezy
07-21-2006, 02:59 AM
www.voyeurmods.com will take your picture and laser etch a window kit for you. The lighting effects are like 1000 times cooler. just an idea

Silenced_Coyote
07-21-2006, 03:01 AM
I have seen a tutorial of what Airbozo is talking about (if I am understanding it correctly). You can take a look at it because it has pictures to help explain the process.

http://www.metku.net/index.html?path=mods/coloured_appliques/index_eng

But there are some pros and cons... It is all explained in the tutorial.

DaveW
07-21-2006, 06:04 AM
That is a really cool photo!

-Dave

NadeChaser
07-21-2006, 06:32 AM
yeah that is an awesome photograph... did you take it yourself?

sirkillalot617
07-21-2006, 03:45 PM
www.voyeurmods.com will take your picture and laser etch a window kit for you. The lighting effects are like 1000 times cooler. just an idea tweezy do you know if they deliver to the uk or if theres a website like it in britain

Luke122
07-21-2006, 04:58 PM
That metku link is exactly what I was thinking too!

Silenced_Coyote
07-22-2006, 03:50 PM
www.voyeurmods.com (http://www.voyeurmods.com) will take your picture and laser etch a window kit for you. The lighting effects are like 1000 times cooler. just an idea

I was thinking about this too but decided to recommend the Metku mod. In my opinion, what makes this phote great is the lighting effects, refelctions, and the various colors (shades of blues, orange, etc). I think that if you got it laser etched, it would take away from the color effect because it would only be shades of blue or whatever color light you put behind it. Unless you can somehow laser etch it with a tint of every color and put a white light behind it. I don't know...

mog108
07-27-2006, 05:54 PM
haha no i didnt take the picture myself- i just grabbed it off google images.
Thanks for all the help guys- at least now i have an idea where to start =)

mog108
07-27-2006, 06:32 PM
oh and does anyone have any idea.. i could do the metku way with the picture- but id really love to give the window lights kind of a flickering-

this is more an artsy question than a technical-

I can hook some leds up with resistors easy enough but what i worry is that one led, witht hat setup, will span across a number of windows... do you think that will matter? or for a flickering effect does it seem like just the on and off in different general areas will be enough?

Silenced_Coyote
07-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Since it is an artsy question...

I personally don't think that flickering lights would fit well in this picture. Unless you want it to look like the electricity in the office buildings are going crazy. In that case, you would go with one LED to span across a number of windows. I think flickering would look good for those lights at the top of skyscrappers (not in this picture because it doesnt show) since they have those lights at the top so that airplanes know where the buildings are.

But if I must choose from the 2 options you give me, I would have LEDs in different general areas.

mog108
07-28-2006, 02:09 AM
haha well i think i used the wrong word

(and dont worry i definitely see your point)

If i were gonna do flickering it wouldnt be an off on it would rather be a dimming led.. more of a glistening effect than flickering--
but im retarded when it comes to electrical operations- i might be talking about a dimming led thats gonna run me 400 dollars or something (exaggeration, i just mean i dont know exactly what im lookin for yet)

But yeah, an off on will definitely be horrendous looking-

Silenced_Coyote
07-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm still not sure exacting what you will be doing with the LEDs but this might be your "$400" method.
Here is the site (with an installation guide!):
http://www.topshelflabs.com/products.htm
Here is one place that I know where you can buy it (out of stock right now....):
http://www.frozencpu.com/lit-134.html

MDCS is using it in a Lamborghini mod (in the featured worklogs). You can check it out when it is done because there are no updates of it installed yet.