PDA

View Full Version : overclocking 6800gt

simon275
07-21-2006, 10:02 PM
I know there is a lot of questions about this.

I have a 6800gt.

What are the risks involved with overclocking a card if you leave it overclocked.. I won't overclock it to the max just a bit. Apart from the card getting hot. What other problems can arise from leaving it at a sustained overclock.

I do know how to overclock it I will just use the nvida overclocker thats built in. Or I might have a play around with river tuner. I'm just gonna gradually bump the gpu freq and the ram freq until I start getting atrifacts in 3d mark

Cagedconnerman
07-22-2006, 02:53 AM
that really is the primary problem with overclocking, additional heat=less lifespan...

simon275
07-22-2006, 03:53 AM
So if I get my hands of those nifty zalamnan fans which cool pretty well the card will have just the same life as normal.

FyR
07-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Using the Nvidia tool to tweak it a little is fine, it will not void you guarantee as its supplied by Nvidia (Although it is pretty rubbish)

A better cooler wont just keep the card alive for the same amount of time, it will probally increase it as the high end coolers can keep are card cooler than reference even when overclocked. My card used to run at 60, i fitted it with an NV Silencer, its now 45 (55 loaded) and overclocked a wee tad.

I just wrote about overclocking here: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3496

The best overclocking tool for Nvidia cards is riva tuner as you said or you can use Systool which i find easier.

Paul
: