PDA

View Full Version : Project: xBox

Omega
07-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I know, I know. This is a computer modding forum.

Whatever.

Anywho, even though it's currently unmodded, I hope to pick up LEDs and wire them so that it gives the xB sort of an ambient blue glow when you power it up.

I will post pics when I get around to getting the LEDs and stuff. All I need to do is go to the local electronics store (HSC FTW) and get some blue LEDS for like 10c apiece.

Razors Edge
07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I am accually going to start a simular project. But I am transferring an xbox to a dell XPS t500. I ripped the case apart, left only the metal. Im paintign the sides, im going to stick a window in it. The coolest part.

I am going to leave the Xbox power spply and im adding my own. The one I added is going to power all the lights, leds, fans and the things I add.

.Maleficus.
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Man, it's like a wave of XBox mods... I just started one too... crazy...

Omega
07-24-2006, 01:23 AM
What's funny is that xB modding is nothing new, either.

Installed dual blue 12in cathodes, one on the front, one on the back. Bright as hell. Distracted the f*ck outta' me while i was playing PGR2 =o

Razors Edge
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey I have a question abou tthe xbox. The Dvd drive it uses, Is it costom, or will an xbox use a regular computer dvd drive.

Omega - can you hook us up with some pictures?

Omega
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
The optical drive is custom -- but it works fine.

I do believe, however, that the OLD xBoxes (read: launch xB's) have a standard optical drive.

Mine's relatively new, which means that I have that annoying assmount thing ofr the hard and optical drives, which I am trying to remove, so that I can replace the fan with this blue LED fan I got today

I would have pics -- but I can't find the camera. Agian.

Omega
07-25-2006, 12:38 AM
I will, tomorrow, after putting my blue LED fan where the xBox jewel is, take pictures.

=D

I should come up with a paint scheme =o

Razors Edge
07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I need a computer dvd drive for it becuase, In my project (photoes coming soon), I am placing an xbox into a pc case. thing is, I can't get anormal dvd drive front to fit on the xbox drive. It makes my whole case look gayer then it already is.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/the-chop-shop/36805-mod-squad-project-2-part1-how.html t

heres a tut from the mod squad

.Maleficus.
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Anybody know how to get the green XBox logo on the top a different color? I don't think that it is a whole green blob (looks like green on bottom and the rest clear), and I would like to get it red if at all possible. Or maybe just take it off completely? If it is how I think it is, (with a green paint or sticker on bottom) I could scratch it off and add red lights to make it red. Ideas?

Razors Edge
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
The green circle in the middle is called the jewel Omega said he put a led fan there. if you pull ahrd enough it comes off.

.Maleficus.
07-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Cool. Thank you!

Luke122
07-25-2006, 06:21 PM
The trick with the jewel is to remove the top of the case, then pull out the metal on the inside. Then, take a heat gun to the bottom of the jewel, and gently pull it up. Should come right off.

The jewel itself is clear, with green paint on the bottom, so once you pull it out, take a polisher to it, and you'll end up with a perfectly clear one. Then you can paint the bottom whatever color you want, or leave it clear, and add some LED's around it. Some people use elwire to light it up evenly. The XBOX writing is engraved, so it'll light up nicely.

:)

Omega
07-25-2006, 09:50 PM
gah. DO NOT PULL IT STRAIGHT UP. they have a tendancy to break...

instead, either take the heatgun to it (which isn't too great of an idea, because, after all, the xB shell is PLASTIC...), or make a small pool of goo-gone over the jewel, and slowly work the edges up. The goo-gone will eat away at the adhesive slowly and is safe to use.

=D

.Maleficus.
07-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I already took the top and metal off, so that's no problem. I think I will probably do that tomorrow (though I don't have a heat gun... guess I'll have to use a hair dryer.) What kind of paint will stick to it?

Sorry for asking all these questions on your thread Omega, it's just the perfect place to do it!

Omega
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I already took the top and metal off, so that's no problem. I think I will probably do that tomorrow (though I don't have a heat gun... guess I'll have to use a hair dryer.) What kind of paint will stick to it?

Sorry for asking all these questions on your thread Omega, it's just the perfect place to do it!

A hair direr doesn't get hot enough.

Read up, just use goo-gone or other brand adhesive remover. I actually found a guide on this once.

I'm not sure what kinds of paint will stick, however.

Razors Edge
07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Acrilic paint should work. I used acrylic blue, looks pretty good.