PDA

View Full Version : LCD Screen Mod

Ouch!
07-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Firstly, since this is my first time posting on the forum, Hello everyone!

I have been fiddling about with computers, in a haphazard way, for some time now. I've never done any serious modding.

I am planning a mod at the moment where I will drop my computer into another object. (I cant say, at the moment, what it is, in case you all outbid me on ebay for my new 'case').

I saw some of the excellent mods on this forum that include the little 5 inch LCD screens you can get to fit the PS-One.

These screens are very cheap (£25) on ebay and look very effective! Also they come with an S-video connector ideal for that spare little plug on your graphics card, that nobody ever uses!

My idea is to 'stealth' the screen into my case by using an old CD-Rom I have lying around. The CD Rom would be mounted vertically and the screen could be fixed to the drive mechanism so that is rises magically out of the case.

With a bit of soldering the CD eject button would be moved to a more suitable location on the case and if the CD drive motor and laser are removed there sould be enough clearance for the screen to glide in and out quite nicely. The circuit board for the screen could be mounted almost anywhere but I thought about attaching it to the outside of the CD-ROM case.

The benefits of this idea would be that it's relatively simple and cheap.
If you were careful with the way you mounted it the top of the screen could sit absolutely flush with the top of your case until you press the button.

However, I think it would benefit from slowing down the normal CD Eject speed. I have been thinking about this one, but I don't really know enough about the mechanism to find a solution.

So, can anyone help me with my plan?
How do I slow down the CD Eject Mechanism to look really slick?

Many thanks

Ouch!

P.S. If someone has already used this idea, I apologise. ;)

EPYK
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
to slow the cd drive down just send less energy to the motor, the only thing is the wieght, if it ways to much it might trip the drives close mode and you have a drive that opens a little and the closes.

sirkillalot617
07-26-2006, 03:27 PM
sounds mint but your soldering would have to be good else it might come undone when its moving all the time

ComputerKing
07-26-2006, 04:50 PM
i think the lcd screen i perfer dont mod it coz it very small and no one can be expert on it so if you make some thing wrong all thing gone so i perfer be carflly if you want to do that !

Goood Luck