PDA

View Full Version : Custom "Racing" Fan Speed Control?

jreffy
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
So I was in the autoparts store picking up some sandpapers and rubbing compounds for my first real mod, (starting with a practice case, working to get a nice mirror'd paint job), and I spotted something that gave me an idea.

I saw one of these custom gas pedals; http://store.barefootcentral.com/ProductImages/accessories/Thumb_RBFMGASCVR.gif

And I thought to myself, wouldn't it be funny to have a "racing" theme'd case, and wire your fan speed control to a mock gas pedal on the floor. Push the pedal down, increase the fan speed. Possibly even be able to set a "cruise control". This way you could actually "rev" your case.

I'm assuming this is possible, but at the moment my knowledge of electronics and controllers is a bit lacking. Anyone know where I should start looking to make this happen?

DaveW
07-26-2006, 12:35 PM
HAha...revving your case. Sounds cool. Pretty simple, easily done.

-Dave

ComputerKing
07-26-2006, 04:51 PM
man this will be funny Thing ! Go head and bush lol this thing lik car gas swich !!

Lol Good luck

Razors Edge
07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
I bet you that paul capello can do it

Omega
07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I bet you that paul capello can do it

I bet you that anybody with some electronics skill and knowledge of how all the components works can do it.

=p

that probably includes paul, though.

jreffy
07-27-2006, 01:14 AM
I'll have to set it aside for my 2nd case. I know it should be easy, I just have to holler @ some of my Electrical Engineering buddies to give me a circuits refresher.

CanaBalistic
07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
The best thing to use would be a slider switch from an older tape player or somthing. All's you'd have to do is hook up a small linkage from the pedal to the switch.

Redundant
08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
What about using a foot pedal from a sewing machine?

MitaPi
08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
lol HA! Thats a great idea, I just dont know how you people think of these things.:rolleyes: I guess maybe if I used my creative side of my brain for half a second..? :p

Razors Edge
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
KK, I have done a bit of research.

Go to thermaltake.com and check out the Smart Case FAN. It comes with a controller then can speed it up or slow it down. You simply have to screw around with the cables and the pedal cables, it can easily be done.