PDA

View Full Version : Human Skin?!?!?

ludothegreat
04-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Hey guys! This is my first post here. Great website, I have been coming here looking at the mods for a while now.

Anyway, on to my question. What I want to do is take a comp case frame and make it look like it was picked up out of a landfill or dump or something of that sort. That is the easy part. On the outside of the case I want it to look like human skin. Basically think of this project as Leatherface’s Computer. I call it Project Leathercase.

I have been considering trying Latex, like making a latex mask, but am concerned about heat issues because I am not going to be water cooling this computer. Anyone here have any clue to what would be the best way to do this? I have some modding skills, but none that extend further than painting, cutting, and the other easy stuff. Thanks in advance.

ZeD
04-18-2005, 07:29 AM
liquid latex + find one of those stryrafoam heads that wig shops use to display their wigs (walk in and ask to buy one, mention its for an art project for school and the old people might give ya one for free) Now you have something to make your mold off of, incase the ones at the shop are faceless heads, try spencers or a horror\humor shop for a face jello mold (or find one online) and you can use that. so Face mold + liquid latex = face skin

good luck, and now I wanna try this!

ludothegreat
04-18-2005, 07:53 AM
That is a pretty good idea actully. But im also wondering if it can be done easier with some other material. Anyone have any ideas of somthing besides latex i could use?

ZeD
04-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Maybe actual skin? I dunno try a butcher shop, a taxidurmist. some type of deli meat skin maybe. I still think latex would be the better, cleaner alternative. Crimson the SFX wizard would know more about this.

Rachel
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Maybe actual skin? I dunno try a butcher shop, a taxidurmist. some type of deli meat skin maybe. I still think latex would be the better, cleaner alternative. Crimson the SFX wizard would know more about this.

That's kind of gross, but maybe I think this cause I'm a girl. I'd say stay to the latex.

Malatory
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Latex IMHO, would be the way to go. Just make sure you have good air flow and heat wont be much of an Issue.

If Feel is not an issue on it, then why not use a vinel skin for the case and either paint it to look like skin or use a plotter.

Mach
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Smooth-on has a product called dragon skin that is used for animatronics. It's clear but you can add pigment. It is not cheap though. Standard sculpey (translucent) is tan but bakes hard. Sculpey superflex is flexible after baking and comes in translucent.

Latex would likely be the cheapest if you actually want it to be soft.

For leatherface's mask, I'd use some chamois(?) from an auto parts store for the case covering. Stitch them together around the case, wet them so they shrink and dry hard. The odd eye hole with led red eye or mouth behind would be sufficiently creepy.

Rachel
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
It would be sweet if you had stiching in it.

devont007
04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
this is just a history tid bit but. in the 1700s there was a case where a hired hand on a farm killed his boss and his boss' family. he was sentanced to death and at the request a local doctor he criminal was skinned. the doctor then sent the human pelt to a tanner and the doctor took the leather and made a wallet out of human skin. its strange but true. it was on the discovery channel a couple of weeks ago (i watch too much discovery, TLC, History channel, etc...)

Frakk
04-18-2005, 05:04 PM
and what does a wallet made out of human skin have to do with a computer case? :D (other than containing the money to buy one)

devont007
04-18-2005, 06:12 PM
they mentioned using real skin so i thaught i would give a little known fact

ludothegreat
04-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Wow great response guys! Thank you for all of your input. I have a couple other people suggest dragon skin to me also, but being that it is expensive I’m still considering latex the most. To me it doesn’t matter if its soft or hard and actually something that would turn hard would probably be a better way to go in the long run. As for the real skin... this though has crossed my mind, but I too though it be rather gross lol. Coming from me that must mean its pretty bad.

Mach any way I could get a list of places to find some of the products you mentioned? I did a quick Google for it but I’m not getting any sites that really are giving me a good idea of where to get it or how to use it.

If I got with something soft it will definitely be hand stitched as much as possible. This is a mod I have been thinking about to a tremendous amount of time now and want it to be as realistic as possible.

Again, thanks for all the help guys; I had a good feeling about posting this question here :) Keep the ideas coming! I’d like to know what you think about it and your ideas of what else to do with the project. One other thing I have in mind is to find a way to make my fans look like they were made out of human bones of some kind.

Mach
04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm not sure where you are located but you can get sculpey in most chain hobby , art, or sculpture stores. It comes in small blocks or a larger block called Super Sculpey which is a tan translucent color..

http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_poly_supersculp.htm

You can check the Sculpey website for stores in your area.
http://www.sculpey.com/scripts/distributors.cfm

The flexible stuff is a little harder to find in larger quantities and you may need to order it on-line.

For an idea of what you can do with Sculpey, check this out. Nice!
http://www.southerngfx.co.uk/general/tutorials/tutorial.htm

Good tutorial here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287&page=1&pp=60

The chamois can be found at any larger auto parts store that stocks car care products. I always heard them called a shammy but that might not be correct. Look for them where they keep car soap and waxes. They are very thin sheep skin and are used for drying cars following washing. You will need to treat them with some type leather protectant or sealer as final step once they are on the case. They should be about $10-15 and look like this:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/abarber/chamois.jpg

When I mentioned stiching I was thinking something like Joe Lester's Harvester mask. http://www.imageworksfx.com/harvestweb.htm

ludothegreat
04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. Again thank you so much Mach and the rest of you too!

BTW that sculpey tut is absalutly awesome!

Mach
04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
No problem! Just feed the addiction and give us pics. :)

ludothegreat
04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
there will defanitly be pics. This mod is still only in planning stages atm though. I'm going to have some concept art soon if anyone is interested.

FX
04-19-2005, 06:50 PM
liquid latex would work fine if you only used thin coats, and if you wanted to get a skin texture, just apply it to something like a transparency and roll the bottom of your arm over it. If you want something bigger than small strips, you can always have someone apply it to your back, it'll cure fast, then you can peel it off, and apply it to your case.
I used to work with the stuff when making halloween masks etc, and it's quite easy to work with. Just remember, that it's very fragile and brittle if it's done really thin.

If you're going to stitch it, as long as you're not going to be applying too much pressure to it once stitched, you can go up to 1/8th of an inch without worrying too much about adverse heat issues with the case. Make sure your ventilation is good though.

ludothegreat
04-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Using my back as a mold for the latex was one of my ideas too. I would probably be doing this about as thick as a latex mask if I decide to use latex. RD407 latex was what I have had suggested to my by almost everyone I have asked. Would it be smarter to do a plaster casing of my back and then use it as a mold for the latex or just apply the latex to my back? If I don’t use latex for this mod I am most likely going to use it in another at some point. I really like Mach's shammy(sp) idea too. That though had never crossed my mind, but seems like it would work really well and be pretty inexpensive.

ludothegreat
04-21-2005, 02:38 AM
I have been surfing and gathering info for a long time on this project now. While looking for materials by means of Google I ran across this:

http://www.e-scoutcraft.com/leather/pouch2.jpg

That is almost the exact mental picture of how I want the skin to be... with the exception of the color. From the look of the wrinkled/aged leather right on down to the hand stitching! Does anyone know how to do this or can point me in the direction needed to learn how to do this on my own?

Crimson Sky
04-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Natural liquid Latex would not work very well for a few reasons:

First off finished pieces will eventually dry out, shrink and get hard. In about 6 months.

Cured latex will also eventually rot out and smell really bad. It will also turn a nasty brown color, destroying any paint finish.

If you want anything that lasts, try leather or pigskin(you can paint it with acrylics or even dye it) or if you want even better results, use the same silicone compounds used for special effects makeup and such--there are so many types for this I couldnt mention them all-- :D

Rachel
04-21-2005, 01:36 PM
That picture makes me think of the magic book in the movie Hocus Pocus. :)

ludothegreat
04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I really think I am going to use leather or Mach's shammy idea. Ill still be looking for ideas and am going to try andtest as many of them out as possable. I got the case that i am going to use for this and will be posting some pics soon. Thanks for the help guys.

Mach
04-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I don't think a chamois will give you that smooth finish that you a looking for. Check to see if there is a tandy leather store in your area. They usually have bargain bins of odd leather pieces. You can also talk with upholstery shops (auto or furniture) that will sell pieces of leather if you ask nicely.

www.tandyleather.com

ZeD
04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
look at mashies worklog for his Y2K bug

gulp35
05-03-2005, 01:21 PM
pit in basement + lotion + Psychopath = Best way to get human skin look

redhalo
05-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Could go to a costume shop and buy a latex halloween mask to cut up. I'm sure you could find one in a flesh color complete with facial features to make it more realistic.

ludothegreat
05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Could go to a costume shop and buy a latex halloween mask to cut up. I'm sure you could find one in a flesh color complete with facial features to make it more realistic.

This was my very first idea I had. It was inspired by a mask I seen called Patches. Was my main reason for thinking of useing latex. Iv decided to go with leather though.

X child
05-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Well you could buy some footballs or basketballs and hack them up for your leather. Or maybe use an old leather jacket, check some goodwill stores too.

ludothegreat
05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
LOL thats exactly what I did! I found an old leather jacket that is going to work perfectly. Ill have pics of my progress soon.

Ironcat
10-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Do a google search for tattoo skin... They make a product that is lamost identical to human skin, it is so good that tattooists use it to practice on and it can then be mounted on the wall to show how the design will look in skin instead of on a piece of paper.

Cevinzol
10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with Mach's suggestion. I used to work for Tandy Leather (http://www.tandyleather.com/).

What you want to look for is Vegetable tanned leather.
This is also called tooling leathe (http://www.tandyleather.com/Leather.asp). Its designed so you can wet mold it, carve/stamp it, and dye it.
I would recomend looking for Pig skin if you can find it. It has more of a texture and it will even have little pore-like holes where the bristles were. But people don't usually veg tan it because they want a smooth feature-less piece of leather to work on.