PDA

View Full Version : Not a case makes me smile

haxx
08-02-2006, 12:31 AM
I havent liked a single case i have seen.

Of course there are a lot of cases out there wich have nice portions but i really havent seen a lot of cases out there that are supremely functional while still remaining astheticaly pleasing.

After researching and compiling data for about 3 years along with many modified pc's for testing single theories.

A revamp in the way we design our cases is well in need.

My Project:
To build one case with revolutionary, practical and asthetic qualitys that surpas most those made as todays manufactury cases

I am interested in posting the my "In progress worklog" exclusively on TBCS and of course my own site

This is my first ever modd and I am off to a really good start on the theory.

Suggestions/Comments will be greatly appreciated.

My first prob though were do I post a full case build rather than a single modd.

simon275
08-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Why the project worklogs section of course.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Weclome can't wait to see some of your work.

Silenced_Coyote
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
3 years of research and compiling data... I can't wait to see your revolutionary case! I would like to see this vision of yours because I haven't really found a case that I liked either. Until I saw that Silverstone TJ07. I don't know why, but I seem to be drawn to the case.

Ronyx
08-08-2006, 08:38 AM
www.xgbox.com <<< Viper / Dragon

i will say no more =]

meticoeus
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I've thought the same thing. Though I'm now rather fond of the TJ07 as well, I don't want to pay so much for what is still an ordinary looking case.

[edit] well, relatively ordinary, it is unmodded ;p

EPYK
08-08-2006, 06:09 PM
what exactly do you look for in a case....

b4i7
08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
www.xgbox.com <<< Viper / Dragon

i will say no more =]

nothing better than a premod </sarcasm>

i never really liked that case....

Slug Toy
08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
what exactly do you look for in a case....

i for one look at potential for airflow, space, weight, and the option of changing things if desired. for those reasons... there are very few cases that actually appeal to me as well.

ill be watching this one, and scrutinizing HARSHLY... or not. ill add in my two bits if need be. im always willing to offer my ideas, no matter how stupid they are, and often regardless of the fact that no one cares.

dgrmkrp
08-09-2006, 04:26 AM
I havent liked a single case i have seen.

Of course there are a lot of cases out there wich have nice portions but i really havent seen a lot of cases out there that are supremely functional while still remaining astheticaly pleasing.

After researching and compiling data for about 3 years along with many modified pc's for testing single theories.

A revamp in the way we design our cases is well in need.

i totally agree.. that's why i just browse to see what's out there.. i know the perfect thing doesn't exist... and i'm sure we can't build it either.. :( why? becasue it is very subjective.. if u look for scientific data only (materials, dimesion, phisical properties etc), a perfect case may be created.. but for one purpose only.. so the "perfect", with everything nice, the supreme utility and looks.. can sadly be achieved only by u, me, another modder or producer.. but never by everyone together :( that almost makes me... :( :(

BTW, i think similarly and hit this problem some years ago too.. i have lots of sketches dating from before high-school, from high-school and even now some of my notes from college courses(which don't grab my attention) are "plagued" with "2D PAD"(paper assisted design ;))

but the fact that there is no case i truly like.. makes me mod :)

Silenced_Coyote
08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I've thought the same thing. Though I'm now rather fond of the TJ07 as well, I don't want to pay so much for what is still an ordinary looking case.

[edit] well, relatively ordinary, it is unmodded ;p

I don't want to pay so much either. I have seen the TJ09 but I heard that it will be priced around $250, which is less than the TJ07 (unless they price drop it, but unlikely by that much though), but is still pretty expensive for a case.

I looks to have an interesting airflow design. I wonder how well it will actually work.

TheGreatSatan
08-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't see why the TJ09 is anything special. It surely isn't anything along the lines of revolutionary design. Did you want something roomy, like a full tower server or Xoxide's UFO case?

Silenced_Coyote
08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Is there anything that can be termed "revolutionary" when talking about unmodded PC cases? One thing that I thought was somewhat interesting was how they were cooling the hard drives. When you look at almost every case, the fan is directly attached to the fan slot/grill. Also, how they made the GPU fan cooling. That isn't directly attached to the side panel. Everyone talks about air restriction when it comes to fan grills, and when you look at that thing, the way it is oriented already would supposedly impose a lot of restriction already, then the added mesh. So that is why I used the word "interested". It is almost BTX-like but with the cooling of the GPU instead of the CPU, or is it just me?

Oh, and I am not the one looking for a case. Haxx is, but to be more specific, he is building one.

meticoeus
08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
I look for efficiency of design for airflow and parts placement. I'm not at all fond of the standard ATX case layout. I also dislike all of the tooless-quickchange stuff. I'd rather know my stuff is secure when I move the case and spend the extra five seconds using a screwdriver. Who needs to throw a case together in five minutes with no tools anyway?

Before I ramble anymore I'll get back to work.

TheGreatSatan
08-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Well BTX is not the solution.

simon275
08-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Well BTX is not the solution.

To true

I only like all this screwless stuff if it is solid anything flimsy and plastic is a big nono. Like plastic clips on PCI slots.

I'm getting my hands on a NZXT Lexa they are pretty swish with good coling. Very well thoughout case. With all fans with dust filters and a fan in the bottom of the case sucking in cool air and a fan in the top exhausting hot rising air.

http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/

haxx
09-13-2006, 11:46 PM
OK sorry ive been gone for a while on vacation

So yes the Tj07 is a nice case still there are basic principals that most common folk understand which have never been addressed.

2 good examples are....
-Heat rises (so why do we push air out the back & against physics)
-Heat walls bettween heatsources and mobo would be obvious.

"Slug Toy"

You seem to agree with most of my case concepts.

If there is a really cheap, strong, type of panel like plexi but not nessecarily clear please help me out with a link and/or name. They have to be able to be purchased in Canada and at least 3'6" x 3' in size (about 1/4-1/8 inch thick would be nice.)

Silenced_Coyote
09-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Let me first say this. I'm just going to put this thought out here and it is probably WRONG. I'm admitting that I just thought of this and did not research it at all. I also suck at physics.

I understand that heat rises (yay, I'm not that dumb!). But wouldn't this principle work best in "free air" (not sure if that was the correct term/usage). So generally speaking, PC cases that have a front fan at the bottom and a rear fan at the top would "steer" the rising heat to the back of the case. So the difference should be minor right?

Even so, I do agree with you on the exhaust fan. I would rather have it at the top.

You mentioned something about heat walls. I'm sorry, but it isn't obvious to me. Would you mind explaining?

Omega
09-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Let me first say this. I'm just going to put this thought out here and it is probably WRONG. I'm admitting that I just thought of this and did not research it at all. I also suck at physics.

I understand that heat rises (yay, I'm not that dumb!). But wouldn't this principle work best in "free air" (not sure if that was the correct term/usage). So generally speaking, PC cases that have a front fan at the bottom and a rear fan at the top would "steer" the rising heat to the back of the case. So
the difference should be minor right?

Even so, I do agree with you on the exhaust fan. I would rather have it at the top.

You mentioned something about heat walls. I'm sorry, but it isn't obvious to me. Would you mind explaining?

Even a minor disadvantage is still a disadvantage.

Now, here's how it should work.

Two air intakes on the bottom of the case. One under the GPU, one in the middle. The air from the GPU-bottom-case-intake will go up and through the spinning GPU fan which will thrust the air out of the case. the heat that isn't expelled backwards will rise up. The middle-bottom-case-intake will just blow up. That's it. Then put an exhaust on the top. Or two. Or three. All 12cm, of course.

For better CPU cooling, maybe re-engineer a slot cooler to go above the GPU slot and suck cool air in and push it up onto the CPU. Where the rear exhaust fan would go, make that an intake also. If you have a fan on the bottom of your PSU, leave it be. If you have fans on the front and back, make them blow into the case, maybe through their own thermal duct.

Then have one more intake on the front of the case, in front of the hard drives. This will blow cool air over the HD's, then the airflow will hit the upward stream and out the top of the case.

EDIT: Oh man oh man, I can't wait until i get to engineer ArgDawn's cooling system. That'll own, espeically if i use what i just explained here. Should work well.

Silenced_Coyote
09-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Wouldn't this depend on the depth of the case because long video cards could block/hinder the airflow of the "middle-bottom-case-intake"???

Omega
09-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Wouldn't this depend on the depth of the case because long video cards could block/hinder the airflow of the "middle-bottom-case-intake"???

Most videocards that I have experience with (With the expection of my PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti 4400) Wouldn't impede the airflow... and if it does, adjust accordingly or make vents.

Silenced_Coyote
09-15-2006, 01:02 AM
For the two bottom intake fans, how high does the case have to be off the floor so as not to impede airflow, or at least not too much?

haxx
09-17-2006, 09:55 PM
ok so all of this makes great sense and has been the standard for sometime.

This is a little on a different line.

Heres a sketchup export image from several months ago so you can see what im thinking
http://members.accesswave.ca/~haxx/haxx_project_PC/theory.jpg

The Optical drive will be at 90degrees of course. The sketchup image wasnt exactly upright at the time i exported this.

I have gone much further in design than this. but it is the most basic

TheGreatSatan
09-17-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't get what I see. Is that an overhead view? What's the cases likely shape?

I consider my next build pretty revolutionary

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/631/dream4gx5.jpg

Omega
09-18-2006, 02:08 AM
For the two bottom intake fans, how high does the case have to be off the floor so as not to impede airflow, or at least not too much?

I'd say about 2-4 inches, and put filters on the fans so they don't clean the carpet into the case =D

Silenced_Coyote
09-18-2006, 02:58 AM
I don't get what I see. Is that an overhead view? What's the cases likely shape?

I would guess that the Sketch Up image by Haxx is a side view.

I'd say about 2-4 inches, and put filters on the fans so they don't clean the carpet into the case =D

Would you happen to have a guess on how much airflow I get with a fan with a filter that is 2-4 inches off the carpet? Ex.= like 75% for filtered fan 2 inches off the ground and 80% for 3 inches. I know this is somthing not easy to calculate but a rough estimate is good enough.

Slug Toy
09-18-2006, 05:22 AM
you could stand to have the gap down around an inch. we're talking about air here. its not thick... it flows nicely through small places. you probably wont lose any "efficiency" all the way to about 3/4".

if we were dealing with water... THEN you want a nice space around fans or impellers to suck stuff up.

haxx
09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes silenced_coyote it is a side view as if looking at the window side of any standard with a window in it.

this is an image of the right side as in NOT the side with a window in most cases.

before you place judgement plz remember that this is the work i did months ago it has evolved greatly since.
I have found a better air mover (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Air-Mover/index.htm) than this designs intended 24" square window fan.

EDIT above plz see the pic below on my next post.EDIT

DaveW
09-24-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't have a clue where the hardware goes, but that looks pretty freakin' sweet.

-Dave

Slug Toy
09-25-2006, 02:59 AM
what the heck is that thing? how many animals would have to die in order to make that thing in real life?

DaveW
09-25-2006, 06:11 AM
what the heck is that thing? how many animals would have to die in order to make that thing in real life?

Oompah loompahs don't like being called animals. And the answer to your question is 300. Thank god we pay them in chocolate, or the insurance would be murder.

-Dave

haxx
09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Heres a more clear idea of were the hardware goes for ya there DaveW.

http://members.accesswave.ca/~haxx/haxx_project_PC/assembly12-hardware%20pointer.JPG

And By the way as an FYI the hardware will be 2 Mobo's, 4 PSU's, 4CPU's, 8 RAM Modules, 2 water systems, 2 peltier systems, a built in WIFI router, a UPS AND A 24" BLADED WINDOW FAN.

Of course that was at that stage of planning and i have gone on to bigger badder MORE DANGEROUS stuff.

dgrmkrp
09-25-2006, 06:46 PM
wow.. if the harware zone keeps all that stuff.. what is the rest of the space for.. (rhetorical) :chills: OK.. so how BIG is this dangerous thing gonna be? and do you have a more clear schematic>> engineer's schematic? 'cause it could get pretty interesting and a learning oppurtunity :)

haxx
09-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Like i have said I have done more work to the design and Sorry but i should have already stated this but the "hardware zone" is realy more of a mobo, vid/air duct zone

The PSU's HDD's Optical drives and liquid cooling is to be placed in similar air ducts.within the rest of the box

DaveW
09-25-2006, 08:14 PM
OK.. so how BIG is this dangerous thing gonna be?

The same question from me! If say that's the space for a micro ATX, and that's on the bottom for more turbulence and better cooling. Micro because it's smaller. That means that your case is the depth of say, 2 and a half full sized ATX motherboards? and oh...the same in height, and about 2 ATX boards wide?

I use aTX boards as let's face it, everyone on these boards knows roughly how big a motherboard is.

But that's a damn big case. It's a nice design and all, but you're not taking that to LAN partys. Unless...now here's an idea. You make it so that you have your big ass cooling rig at home, looks the business, but all your hardware is in a box that you can remove at will and carry around.

This would also be pretty cool for updating, as you don't need to dismantle the case when you want to upgrade.

But...i think the design is nice but far from practical. You'll need to work on that side a little more to make this mod brilliant. I refer you to m4gnum's Tardis, a great mod, looks quality-but he's not happy because the Tardis is to bulky to put anywhere and hasn't got the space for good hardware.

Hellova mod though! So just make sure that the case will fulfill your needs as a user as well as your desires as a modder.

-Dave

haxx
09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
OK plz peopl I have stated this a couple of times this is an old concept 3d sketch you are looking at.

Its case is know smaler and does NOT use a 24" fan

Sorry if i Have scared you with my Big And Dangerous concept DaveW but its even bigger than you thought with the Micro ATX boards.

When I say Big I mean BBBBIIIIGGGGG

My Moto in life:
Balls to the Wall or not at all.
Or in other words:
If your gonna do something you might as well be redundantly redundant. So youll never
have to redo the work

The MoBo's (2 will be full sized ATX)

And know I STRESSSSSSSS THE FACT THAT THE CASE IS MUCH SMALLER THAN ORIGINALY DESIGNED. The original outer dimension was basicaly going to be 4'6" high and about 5'6" long and 3' wide at the base.

Basicaly A floor Model PC

Know it IS MUCH SMALLLLLLLLLER but still the same concepts

I am using an air mover for replacement of the 24" fan.

And your right it would be a bitch to move the thing to and from lan partys (even the new smaller version) thats why i am in the middle of my other project. The Hax-X SilverServer Gen X-3 (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4208)

and please be a little patient with my next skethup post it will be a little while were as i am a father of two and running my own tech company.

Acey
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Any case that's wide will do. Since I'm gonna mutilate it once i open the packaging, so why bother choosing.

a.Bird
10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
I keep my mobo at least 5 feet from my monitor. The psu is mounted under my windowsill and my hdds are in the basement. My temps are absolutely superb when playing duke nukem 3d.