PDA

View Full Version : the haxx revolution begins

haxx
08-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Okay to start my mod is in no way a MOD this here is a slow long process at building a new standard in case theory.

I am a person that bites into problems until there fixed and for that reason realize as any good techy knows many a problems will arise.

For that reason alone.......

Problem #1
I need a digital diagram for every current Form Factor to scale with the
screw holes on the MoBo indicated on the diagram.

My Email addy to send these to is hax-x@hotmail.com

thanx in advance

haxx
08-02-2006, 12:58 AM
My second problem is cooling the PSU's I will be using.

I know that liquid cooling a PSU is much more difficult and i know some of reasons.

If anyone has any first hand info please post away.

AKA_RA
08-02-2006, 03:03 AM
depending on how powerful they need to be, you might just be able to get one thats already water cooled. considering how dangerous powersupplies can be, this is one of the few occasions where i think buying it instead of making it is a forgivable sin.

haxx
08-02-2006, 04:35 PM
thanx for the response

were as i have not decided on the electronics yet i have o idea what my total power consumption will be.

i would also like it to be applied to any PSU

GT40_GearHead
08-02-2006, 04:37 PM
do you wanna water cool a standard psu

sirkillalot617
08-02-2006, 05:44 PM
i wouldnt advise watercooling your psu as when i tested it when i worked in a internet server room it leaked and blew up the psu almost frying the company cat it would be safer using fans

GT40_GearHead
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/05/22/wmd_part2_g-gnome_case_mod/10.html
this is the type of psu that one could say that it was made for w/c

haxx
08-09-2006, 12:09 AM
ok so im getting input here.

I wasnt sure i would on the psu's

So far in the meantime ive come across an idea as to how to water cool the PSU's by passively sending the heat through pipes to a water cooled blok.

No diagrams or solid info as of yet though.

And GT40_GearHead i really like the possibility of using these german supplys
as they will be small enough to make my custom box about 1/10 smaller.
thanxs for the link.

TheGreatSatan
08-09-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/05/22/wmd_part2_g-gnome_case_mod/10.html
this is the type of psu that one could say that it was made for w/c

250Watts won't be good for anyone.

Can you at least describe what idea you have for the case design? Are you gonna buy a case and modify the layout or are you gonna go from scratch?

Silenced_Coyote
08-09-2006, 08:36 PM
He hasn't give us the idea yet but he said he would be posting soon.

From his other thread, he said that the project will be a full case build, not a mod. So it sounds like it will be from scratch.

GT40_GearHead
08-10-2006, 08:42 AM
250Watts won't be good for anyone.

if you would read the WMD build(http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/05/22/wmd_part2_g-gnome_case_mod/10.html)
you would know you can ask the guys that make them to put a special conector for easy dual PSU setup, and a more important detail: the dude sayd that they overpower a standard 250W psu

simon275
08-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Never heard of a water cooled PSU before. I'm supprised how they just slap an hdd cooler on it. I thought they would do something tricky.

Maybe emersing the whole PSU in cooling liquid would be cool with a pump that puts it through a Radiator. Kinda dangerous though but would be cool.

Not many people do whole case builds should be interesting.

GT40_GearHead
08-10-2006, 09:21 AM
the problem with imersing is that you can only do it in oil, and oil has a bad tendency to destroy ruber(caps have it under them) and it makes plastic brittle,

haxx
09-22-2006, 09:01 PM
heres a link to a server space file tree with some sketchup 2D exports of some of the concept work.

Its a little behind but i wanted to atleast show the basic gist of what im up to.

http://members.accesswave.ca/~haxx/haxx_project_PC/

Please use the ideas.... But please respect it like opensource and sen back any work logs or links to hax-x@hotmail.com

Problemchild49
09-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi I'm new to these forums and I think this link could help you with your power supply water cooling.
http://zfz.com/projects.asp?request=liquidenermax550w&page=1

haxx
09-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the link Problemchild49.

As far as only being able to use oil for emmersion is incorrect.
Heres a link to a realy cool liquid.http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/oil_gas/specialty_materials/node_HX0DNRHXKWge/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_G1F6DNZDBVge/theme_us_oilgas_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

And thanks to GT40_GearHead for the link about dual PSUs.

On another note please i also need other info...

Problem #1
I need a digital diagram for every current Form Factor to scale with the
screw holes on the MoBo indicated on the diagram.

fragged
09-30-2006, 08:00 AM
I read an article on a LAN forum that i participate, and this guy that works at a computer store reckons he was using a dual core 4400+, dual 7800's, 1gb ram, 1 hard drive, 2 instances of quake 4 on high quality and total power consumption was something like 160watt, and his PSU was only 200

He claimed that one should invest in a reliable, low watt PSU than a cheap 500 watt+ PSU.. I wouldnt guarentee this, nor would I wanna play how low can you go, but dont believe everyone on a forum (including me) because not everybody has concrete evidence as to why you must to x for y... AFAIK most things have a power consumption on it (Fans are usually 12v@0.1amp) so you should be able to calculate it (I just dont know how xD)

-Fragged

Sorry post is rushed, I feel adrenalin :D

haxx
09-30-2006, 06:24 PM
As far as Qualtity PSU's go its absolutely essential to have quality.

Every Technician is well aware of this.

To take the time to calculate ABSOLUTE max power consumption of the entire system (you should round up for safe measure) and get a supply a LITTLE more than sufficient.

I am considering putting a passive heat sync in several places in the PSU and cooling the passive plates with a liquid cooling block.

haxx
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
f