PDA

View Full Version : 6800gs 512mb problems

HackSore
08-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Just built myself a new system, and i decided to go for a sli motherboard and a single 6800gs.
Now i have had graphical problems that have been getting progressively worse, its like a kind of horizontal wobbling in lots of little lines, at first it only seemed to happen in game menus, and actual gameplay seemed fine, but now im noticing it in games, as well as occasional white spots flashing up, like static or something.
The problem occurs no matter what the in-game video settings are, high or low, genrally the lower the graphic settings the worse the problem becomes.
Its kinda hard to explain, but i'll try and upload a video demonstrating the problem.

The card is a point of view nivida 6800gs 512mb (http://www.pointofview-online.com/GF6800GS512pci.html), the board is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI SKT939 (http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-K8N%20Pro-SLI.htm)
I have a 500watt PSU (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101299) and i'm running an AMD skt 939 Athlon 64 3500+ and 1gig of ram.

I was hoping someone might have an explination for the problem? maybe a dodgy card?
I have done quite a lot of searching, but not found much useful info, although i came across a few forum posts claiming similar graphical glitches when using 2 cards in sli formation.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

EDIT: Interestingly, i used FRAPS to try and record the problem, but when watching the video back, the problem wasnt occuring, even though it did when i was recording.

EPYK
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
try it on a differant monitor

simon275
08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Thats really weird. My first instinct was hardware fault but the recorder couldn't pick it up. I thought a bit more It has to be a hardware something with the output.

Have you tried swapping monitors and cables to isolate the problem.

Since the recording still works and doesn't shown problems I reckon there must be a fault with the ouput hardware of the card not the mobo but I might be wrong.

Did you build the case your self becasue I had kinda similar problems when I built my current PC I a killed my 6800gt with static electricity with out knowing it. You have to be very careful.

First isolate the problems. Second get a replacement card if the problem persits. Third if problem still persists get a replacement mobo.

Hope this helps

HackSore
08-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, i was thinking that it might be my monitor, as its damn old now, and really not very good.

The problem doesnt occur in windows or anything though, its only in games.

I was very careful about static when i was building, even got myself an anti-static wrist strap, so im pertty sure its not that.

I'll try it on a different monitor and let you know the result.

HackSore
08-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I tried using the little dvi to vga adaptor thing just to see if that made any difference, and my monitor got no signal at all out of the dvi output using the adaptor.
Sound faulty?

monoflap
08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Well, try using a completely different monitor first. This is most likely a driver or monitor problem (you know monitors have firmware too).

HackSore
08-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Ok, tried it on a different and newer monitor, and the problem still occurs, but not nearly as badly.
I have also noticed kind of a mild "snow" in some games, which i recorded with fraps, and that problem did show up on the video.

I can upload the video if needed.

So any advice?

mikeroq
08-05-2006, 01:19 PM
See the reason FRAPS wont record your "problems" is that its recording the output through the internals of the system, not the output to the monitor. Considering the brand you chose doesnt appear to be good, you could have a faulty card. I reccomend you get one from XFX or eVGA.

Also your powwer supply seems to be ****.

simon275
08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
If the psu wasn't working he wouldn't get a recording. I agree mikeroq if you want a new card get an EVGA one. Yeah something is wrong with the whole outputing of 3D graphics thing to the port is buggered. "IF" its still under waranty go back and claim a new one.