PDA

View Full Version : Modding a Antec SLK-2600

Indybird
08-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I got a Antec SLK-2600 AMB Super Mini Tower Case laying around and I've really wanted to mod it but I don't have any specific ideas, just a
General plan to mod:
-Paint Job (Black Glossy)
-Window
-Integrate fan controller
-Move USB ports
-Improve front panel (Paint job, grill, design, i dunno)

Supplies:
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/images/Big/700850-007_810x648_2600AMB.jpg
Antec SLK-2600 Case (w/ missing door)
http://costameno.kataweb.it/images/lib/161_167065071.jpg
Cooler Master Aerogate I Fan Controller
The aerogate I has 3 main parts: chip, alum, shiny plastic. All of which can be dissassembled.

Also here's a list of internal stuff:
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
Intel Celeron 2.4GHz Proc
Cooler Master 300W Power Supply
2x Gigaram 512MB RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256MB Graphics Card
Western Digital 80GB Hard Drive
Lite-ON Black DVD Burner

Thanks, Indybird

Note: I have almost no cash so I can't get anything fancy.

DaveW
08-11-2006, 08:36 AM
What sort of tools have you at your disposal?

-Dave

dgrmkrp
08-11-2006, 09:44 AM
nice case... i'm gonna watch this thread as this case looks a lot like mine:
http://www.masteroffice.hu/files/SLK3000b.jpg

i've been looking for the interior design of your case.. so to know what could be done to it.. i found the schematic for the 2650 model.. hope their not too different.. well... here it is...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/dgrmkrp/gfx/a759f86a.jpg

what could you do to it? :)

well... as it has 4 bays for optical units... you could go for a 120mm intake fan for cpu/mobo/ram cooling... in my case's case, i have a towerlike heatpipe cooler and i always wanted to do a fan-duct-fan-tower-fan-duct-fan thing to it with a nice home-brew controller... but this requires the modding of the front door..

Antec SLK-2600 Case (w/ missing door)

but seeing as you don't have one... you have some more choices :)

another nice place for putting stuff i think would be in the upper part of the front-piece. there is enough room there to put about 6 individual controllers, if u don't want to use the drive bays.. i would do this mod if the case is standing down on the floor, as you would have easy acces to the pots... another thing to put there would be some LCD or LED displays.. or buttons.. no room for jacks or usbs here tho..

if you were to post some pics of what other things you have/want to go with the case (fans, doo-dads etc.) it would be helpfull.. for you aswell..

in my opinion... there are tons of things you could do to the case.. and i absloutely love their design (wouldn't really have bought one myself if it didn't have some potential ;) ) do you wanna go techno, stealthy, light-full?

if you want a black exterior.. i guess your going for stealth? or you like black (i do :) ) do you plan on having some features? becasue a window by itself can be a work of art.. or some nice cooling? (i think you could easily mod the case to have 2x80mm intakes..)

about the cash: there is so much you can and not spend 10 bucks :) tools can be borrowed, materials can be found, screws are cheap :) only your imagination/prudence can stop you :)

good luck!

Indybird
08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
First, I don't really have any useful modding tools other than a gluegun, but my friend does so I can probably borrow something from him.

Second, I do have some other supplies come to think of it:
3 Antec 80mm Blue LED fans
15" LCD Monitor (its my friends, so I might have to buy it)
Lots of spare metal from old computers
That's about all.

I'm for sure I'm going to paint it, what would you recommend for a glossy, car-like appearance?
And I'm also definitely going to integrate the fan controller into the case...

Also how would you go about smoothing over the sharp edges on the front of the case?

Thanks, Indybird

dgrmkrp
08-11-2006, 02:17 PM
F
irst, I don't really have any useful modding tools other than a gluegun, but my friend does so I can probably borrow something from him.
well, as a friend showed me... a serrated knife and raw power can act as a bad dremel :) then u need files... but u need files anyway :) so any tool is good

Second, I do have some other supplies come to think of it:
3 Antec 80mm Blue LED fans
15" LCD Monitor (its my friends, so I might have to buy it)
Lots of spare metal from old computers
That's about all.
perfect.. hmm.. 15"? would it fit in the side panel? ;)
fans are nice.. i like them.. u could swap the bland black plastic ones with these (if case and psu has simple ones..) or create custom mounts for cpu/pci/vdo/hdd cooling?

I'm for sure I'm going to paint it, what would you recommend for a glossy, car-like appearance?
strip the current paint, prime the case,wet-sand it flat, prime some more, paint it black, wet sand it, paint again.. then wait a few days.. and clear coat it, wet-sand it and clear again... use 1000~2000 grit paper for added smoothness... with lots of time in between coats (i messed a nice paint job by not waiting) and you get a showroom glossy paint job :)

Also how would you go about smoothing over the sharp edges on the front of the case?
what sharp edges? (..i hope u don't mean the nice curves/intakes on the lowerhalf.. :( i like those..) but anyways.. dremel, bondo, fine sanding paper and patience would smooth anything :)

Indybird
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Where can you get bondo off the internet?

And what should I do about the plastic front panel?

.Maleficus.
08-11-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/bondo.php - For the bondo

And the front panel, you could paint that too, with like Krylon Fusion or another brand plastic paint. Or you could cut a hole for a blowhole, like in Defyant's mods.

Edit: Crap, forgot about the hardener. Umm... I coudn't find it on that site (although I only looked for about 10 seconds...) but I'm sure you can find Bondo hardener on the interent somewhere, just do a Google search.

Indybird
08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Sorry, I should have said how can I get that glossy also because its textured...

Is it at all possible I could get the bondo stuff from a store offline? Cause my dad doesn't want to order that for me :(

Lastly I can't get the 15" monitor...

dgrmkrp
08-12-2006, 05:28 AM
..well.. any car parts shop near you? body filler (bondo) should be less than 5 bucks.. and there are different sizes of cans to buy..
about the textured parts.. sandpaper.. either sand it now or put a coat of filling primer on it and sand it.. sand it till your happy :)