PDA

View Full Version : Help Need a Motherboard

christop
04-19-2005, 10:56 AM
HELP I NEED A MOTHERBOARD, I WANT IT TO BE ABLE TO REC. TV PLAY MOVIES ETC.

Rachel
04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
First off welcome to the forums.
Second... make your font color more readable.
3rd off... A motherboard is not responsable for playing DVDs, a DVD ROM Drive is.
4th... A motherboard is not responsable for recording off the TV.
5th... That's illegal in the first place.
6th... If you really want to, use a VHS tape.

Edit: Do you even know what a motherboard is for?

Bum
04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Yikes Rachel. That reply started off OK then seemed to go rapidly hostile.

christop, what you are looking for is a tv tuner card that will go on your motherboard. There are several cards that are strictly tv/computer interfaces and there are some that double as graphics cards like the All-in-Wonder series of cards by ATI. You really need to do some research into what these different types of cards do and then choose which is best for what you want to do.

BTW, it isn't illegal to record TV programs, as long as you don't rebroadcast them or use them to make profits somehow.

Rachel
04-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Uh yea... I didn't mean to come off as mean or anything. But from the question it was sorta clear he didn't know much. Cause if you really don't know what a motherboard does then say so and we can tell you. I figured I'd ask cause there was a chance you didn't know. All smiles. :)

Frakk
04-19-2005, 10:34 PM
christop: you need a tv tuner not a motherboard. please clear ure thoughts on the components :)

off topic: thats funny how many ppl want to "mod" and build a computer without knowing what it is lol. and this is when i dont know if i should laugh or cry. no offence christop

ack ack
04-20-2005, 08:20 AM
check out the motherboards these htpc models use: http://www.hushtechnologies.net/start.html

that could be a good place to start. in terms of performance for ripping / encoding video you probably want to look into an intel / pentium system.

christop
04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
I understand what a motherboard is, I was asking for a recommendation on one, for everything that I want to be able to do (Rec. TV…..)

Malatory
04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
I understand what a motherboard is, I was asking for a recommendation on one, for everything that I want to be able to do (Rec. TV…..)

You need one that can support at least 800Mhz p3 processor with a tuner card.

1.3 Ghz if your looking to have the processor handle the encoding (and that might be on the low end).

things like Price range, Items you have already will help get you answers faster and clear up some of the misconceptions that are happening.

Just asking for a Mobo for tha PVR/Media system doesnt really give us to go on.

IMHO: Choices I would choose..
1st ASUS Mobo
2nd MSI Mobo
3rd MiniAtx option ..