PDA

View Full Version : Firefox page jumping, no bookmarks!

Scotty
08-14-2006, 07:22 AM
OK guys dunno if anyof you can help me, ive turned my pc on this morning and opend firefox. It cam up sating it had updated and brought a popup box for google toolbar i just clicked ok. But now my pages jump up and down every now and then which is really annoying, not only that but i have lost all of my bookmarks! and even the firefox bookmarks dont exist. i also can't add new bookmarks!

WTF!

Is there a place on the HDD that firefox stores bookmarks too just incase they are still there? if so should i just be able to reinstall firefox and then use those?

cheers

AKA_RA
08-14-2006, 08:00 AM
i know for a fact that firefox stores all its bookmarks in html format somewhere in the firefox directory, thats howi back mine up. its kinda nice cuz its only one file, not dozens. it should be called something simple like bookmarks.html. as for the page jumping thing, i havent a clue. you might want to backl up the bookmark file, uninstall firefox, delete the registry files for it, and then reinstall whatever the newest version is, then restore you book marks, install whatever plug-ins you use amd everything should be back to normal. if you need more help, just let us know

Scotty
08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Yea i found the files, odd though i couldn't see then using explorer i thought there wasn't one there opend up notepad then clicked save browsed to the location and saw them all :S the actual bookmarks.html file had nothing in :s but firefox backs up daily to a seperate folder and i gt them from there :phew:

And the page jumping was a result of the bookmarks toolbar open :S

meticoeus
08-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Losing bookmarks is a serious pain. I think keep back ups on like 3 places now. As a general rule of thumb you never just click ok on anything. If you didn't open it or have any doubt about how it got your screen, get rid of it. If you find out you meant to do something you can most always do it again.

monoflap
08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
I bet if you just reinstalled firefox it would find all your bookmarks again and fix your problems. I had a problem not long ago where my bookmarks wouldn't work so i just reinstalled it and it fixed everything. I didn't lose any ad ons or bookmarks in the process.

Scotty
08-14-2006, 01:33 PM
it might have done but i created a new profile than opened the bookmarks up
through firefox

EPYK
08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
i found that if you save all your preferances in IE every couple a days or weeks, it makes reinstalling firefox easier