PDA

View Full Version : amount of newbies (no offence)

MrSlacker
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
you know, it amazes me how many newbies are out there. on every forum i visit, there are new people every day. i see more and more people who just start learning about computers every single day. i am saying this will all respect to new comers and i am very happy that more people want to learn.

now the other part, i thought google is very well known, why dont people use it?!?! i mean yeah, questions are good, but the ones like "what is (insert component here)?" is getting on my nerves little by little. if you dont know what is CPU, why not google it, see what you get and then if you are not sure ask. there are millions of websites that have info on every part of computer.

sorry i am just curios why people are so lazy these days. (yes, i know my name is Slacker)

PS: *putts on flame suit*

Crimson Sky
04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Well Mrs Lacker--I realize the level of newbish questions is always on the rise, and google is our friend--however asking questions on forums is a good way to interact with and meet new people who share your interests..its not always about pure data and answers :p

MrSlacker
04-20-2005, 12:34 AM
i will e-smack you for Mrs. :p
i know forums is great place to meet people but some people just ask very very easy questions. i know i ahve some dumb questions sometimes but i try to research before i post.

ZeD
04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Depending on the newbishness of the question I will ask in a new forum instead of googling just to get to knwo people, also if people wouldnt ask newb questions they wouldnt be there for others to google.

Darth Baby
04-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Gonna nudge in with the big kids here and pretend like I'm part of the group.

At least from the "n00b" perspective, being a relative "n00b" at this site myself, I try not to ask easily googled questions, but there really is no tellin what you'll find on google. You come here, you ask the pros a couple of questions, and you get the resources that the pros use vs the resources that may/may not be all that great when you just google the problem. The value of conversing is immeasurable. It plays a huge part in making connections (and of course making a couple buddies doesn't hurt either).

Granted there's gonna be the completely "n00b"ish questions, but that's what God made Stickies for ;).

Frakk
04-20-2005, 07:50 AM
i agree with MrSlacker. people are just too lazy to google it up. and its getting on my nerves too. its true that they interact more, but if thats what they want, why not post in the movies section, or in the modding galleries or something instead of asking what is what. i am more than happy to help anyone, but when it comes down to his/her laziness my approach is totally different on the subject too. its one of those " if you dont care that much to research it, why should I?" cases. and there are still people posting questions about something having been discussed here before. there are other ways to "interact" than pissing me off :D

devont007
04-20-2005, 10:46 AM
i ask some noobish questons but thats because i dont know everyting but i am willing to learn and i find that a forum is a better sourse than John Doe's PC building guide i would rather get accurate info from many sources than wrong info from a website (i dont like google except for gmail) and until reciently i thaught that google was just like yahoo search if you search something it would only give you sites with that in the site instead of giving definitons and conversions and other info so i am starting to like google but mostly if you are talking about something and i dont know what it is i ask you because you are the one who was talking about using it in the first place so i assume that u know what it is.

Dante
04-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Whats a computer? How do you cut out a side window? Is Dremel some kind of glue? If I cut myself do I need a Band-Aid? Why do people complain about new people? Why do they complain when they have a question? Weren't they a noob at one time? Don't these guys have the choice to not read said threads? Can I make a post about how these kinds of posts are getting on my nerves? Can I have a cookie? Isn't this forum for all to interact? Next time someone asks a question I think is dumb...can I ban them? Don't you think all noobs should be banned? Doesn't it suck when people actually talk in here? Where are your mods that make you the almighty case mod know it all? When did you get so full of yourself that questions from new people started to get on your nerves? May I refer to you as GOD? or do you prefer Sir? Don't you hate forum nazi's? Don't you think pie tastes great? Do you like Hello Kitty? How can I hide the wiring in my case? Do you think I could make a good mod out of a coffee can? When I turn on my computer sound comes out of the speakers...is this normal? Also at the same time....my monitor displays Windows....is my computer broken? Did I mention that posts like this get on my nerves?:)

Malatory
04-20-2005, 11:22 AM
I will answer from my point of view ... as being a N00b here ...

Seeing questions ask over and over again like what Should I buy.. Yes do get on my last frazeled nerv(Twitch* Smack). I also pick and choose over which ones I am going to read. (If I choose to read it .. then I can not be effected that way and should answer with my best intent).

now flooding a forum with questions and not really thinking about adding one or more in the same post. That will fry a lot of peoples nerv's right away and put people on the do not read post from list.

to answer one of dante questions : Hello Kitty ... forced to endure it .. Having kids will do this to you.

also note ... having an owner that is known for the sweet mods will draw flys that will ask some basic/n00bish questions.

Dante
04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
to answer one of dante questions : Hello Kitty ... forced to endure it .. Having kids will do this to you.

Preach to me brother. Hello Kitty, Barbies, Bratz............It never ends, does it? :D I think my kids own every freaking toy there is.lol

DickNervous
04-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Whats a computer?
It is that silly looking box next to you with the little glowing lights that hums. It needs to be booted, so why don't you kick it?

How do you cut out a side window?
I usually concerntrate really, really, hard and cut it with the laser beams that shoot out of my eyes.

Is Dremel some kind of glue?
Actually, it is an anti-glue. It helps you take things that you accidentally glues together apar.

If I cut myself do I need a Band-Aid?
Well, that all depends. If your appendage that you cut is still in one piece, then yes. Otherwise run around screaming for someone to call 911 while waving your bloody appendage in front of their faces.

Why do people complain about new people?
Because they answer rhetorical questions.

Why do they complain when they have a question?
Asking questions kills brain cells. Ask enough and you will become management, and that is pure hell.

Weren't they a noob at one time?
No. everyone else was born a genius.

Don't these guys have the choice to not read said threads?
Yes, but not until *after* they wasted 2 minutes of their life reading your inanae remarks. Now I want that 2 minutes back....

Can I make a post about how these kinds of posts are getting on my nerves?
Sure, just make sure you put on your asbestos suit.

Can I have a cookie?
No, it will spoil your dinner.

Isn't this forum for all to interact?
Flaming is a form of interacting.

Next time someone asks a question I think is dumb...can I ban them?
Yes, now ban yourself please.

Don't you think all noobs should be banned?
Not until making fun of them is no longer enjoyable.

Doesn't it suck when people actually talk in here?
Yes, now STFU, I am trying to flame you.

Where are your mods that make you the almighty case mod know it all?
In my workshop, a location you will never know.

When did you get so full of yourself that questions from new people started to get on your nerves?
Right about the time you started posting.

May I refer to you as GOD? or do you prefer Sir?
I prefern Satan, but Sir is good enough.

Don't you hate forum nazi's?
Yes.

Don't you think pie tastes great?
Only Apple, Blueberry, and Coconut Custard. Otherwise it all sucks.

Do you like Hello Kitty?
No. If you do please pack your bags and move to Japan where you won't be considered a freak.

How can I hide the wiring in my case?
Once you have all the wired setup and connected, you take the wire cutters and cut them right where they come out of the power supply. Then you cut them right where they come out of the molex. Make sure to leave a 1/4 inch on both ends. Since you had them connected when you cut them the electricity will know where to go and you will have a case with no wires.

Do you think I could make a good mod out of a coffee can?
No, you can't. Crimson Sky could, but you have no chance.

When I turn on my computer sound comes out of the speakers...is this normal?
Oh Lord NO!. It is NOT! I suggest you run to the nearest church and get a bucket of Holy Water. The next time it happens dump the Holy Water onto the computer to drive away the evil spirits. This should stop the moice coming from your speakers.

Also at the same time my monitor displays Windows....is my computer broken?
No, it is not bronek, it is possessed. Unfortunately all that can be done for it is to take it to your nearest high school and tell them to have the students excorsies the evil spirits. If you are lucky you might get it back with Linux on it.

Did I mention that posts like this get on my nerves?:)
No, you hadn't.

:D :D :D :D

Dante
04-20-2005, 11:37 AM
OK Dick is now my god. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek:

Crimson Sky
04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Roflmao!! :d :d

Malatory
04-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Preach to me brother. Hello Kitty, Barbies, Bratz............It never ends, does it? :D I think my kids own every freaking toy there is.lol

It will End if you say no. :D but who can say no to eyes like ...
http://dragonfly.bodybydk.com/lunchbreak.jpg

My Other half says some of her crafting sites are starting to look at computer crafting (Modding to us). And I should join or see about some of our forums merging ... Think of the n00b like questions then..

Crimson Sky
04-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I think I speak for most here when I say:

Awwweee!!! wooohjee-woohjee!

Malatory
04-20-2005, 12:31 PM
I think I speak for most here when I say:

Awwweee!!! wooohjee-woohjee!

hahahah

JesDer
04-20-2005, 12:33 PM
freaks !

Kaolian
04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, you have to start somewhere. Sometimes us newbies end up amounting to something eventually. Besides, newbies have that cute newbishness about them that makes you want to smile and pat them on the head shrotly before you start hitting us with the tennis rackets for asking stupid repetitive questions. It's a survival trait!

Frakk
04-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, you have to start somewhere.

everyone agrees with that. but why does it have to be on forums asking nerv racking questions about what is what and such. when i started this whole computer thing i didnt even know what internet was... who did i ask? books of the time and magazines. most people dont appreciate things like that these days. its a lot easier to click on "new thread" and ask isnt it?

Whisp
04-20-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't mind answering questions for newbs but when that same person asks 100's of easily answered question that can be looked it up on yahoo or whatever then i usually dont help them.

I say help those that help themselves. Very easy to tell who those people are.

Matthew
04-20-2005, 03:49 PM
I agree with you all pretty much. I think it is one thing though to ask something like "What is a screwdriver?". Something like that needs to be googled...or kept to yourself because...i mean...common...a screwdriver? But something like "How do I connect an LCD (Specific one) to my computer?" sometimes can not be easily googled. What I am saying is some questions deserve a new forum, others need to be kept to ones self or googled.

devont007
04-20-2005, 03:51 PM
first off DickNervous should be a comedian dude u are hilarious and second

My Other half says some of her crafting sites are starting to look at computer crafting (Modding to us). And I should join or see about some of our forums merging ... Think of the n00b like questions then..

can i knit RAM?
or
you wouldnt have bytes if you wore insect repelent and quit terrorizing the dog!

ok so im not nearly as funny

MrSlacker
04-20-2005, 03:55 PM
i wasnt talking about new people that are willing to learn. when i started this whole computer thing, i just went online to websites that my friends told me about and started reading. i reab like 5 reviews each day. at first, i didnt know anything, but then just googled it and went from there. i think before posting something, you should look if there are any similar posts

Zeus
04-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Would just like to make an observation. MrSlacker is complaining about n00bs posting to the wrong forum and stupid questions. During this whole tirade, I could not help but take note of the fact that it seems he has perpetrated the very error he is ranting about. Should this whole string not be posted in the kudos and complaints section?

Just thought I would mention that :-)

DickNervous
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you... you are all to kind, no applause please, just PayPal 10s and 20s. I will be performing until next Thursday. :D

To be honest, the only n00b questions that bother me are the ones that have been answered in the very forum the person is posting in. The 2nd thing n00bs should be taught after how to enter a URL is how to use th freakin SEARCH feature of almost every forum out there.

I know when I am trying to learn something new, like my recent foray into using phpNuke, I would go to the forums, register, and proceed to SEARCH for the answer to my questions. Only after not finding anything on the forums or Google, would I post a question.

Remember n00bs, the Search button is your friend.

ZeD
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to mention, there is one thing more annoying than newb questions, and thats people who answer them with BS that they took out of their ass after a trip to white castle. Those so full of themselves that they know precisely what to do in every situation (even though they dont) yet still decide to reply with BS. Be careful what you ask for, same with google, I have seen some completely moronic guides out there that make no sense, or are completely stupid.

MrSlacker
04-20-2005, 05:35 PM
wat the hell??? i thought i posted it in The Chatterbox forum... :?
may be i pushed mouse and didnt notice where i clicked. sorry

jonopaul01
04-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I know I probably should keep my mouth shut (being a newb myself) but I would just like to point out that it can be very hard to get into things at the beginning. People are not born knowing everything and there are some things that the you are expected to know. Of course newbs have been accomadated with a newb section (is it called the rookie nook?) which is great for those who know that there question is a bit stupid (whatever that means). As long as newbish questions are kept to the confines of this section things are fine. People should only get annoyed when there are people writing newbish questions in other forums. But yes, noobs should really learn to use the searh feature. But the whole way that this forum has been set up with all the different sections is the perfect search. I want to know something about monitors so I go straight to the monitors section to see if anyone wrote anything about my question. Just my views. Ohhh wait, one more rant. I hate the over use of "lol"> I know I am just opening myself up to a flame war of "LOLOLOLOLOLOL's" but I think that people use it far to much.

Bum
04-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I've been following this thread because I think it points out a fundmental flaw in the way people are learning to LEARN these days and I'm curious to see how many other people see this. We as a society aren't teaching our kids to do analytical thinking anymore. We are teaching them how to find out how someone else has done a thing and copy that. Or worse yet, they just say "tell me how to do this step-by-step" so they don't even have to think about it. It seems like fewer and fewer people are coming up with innovative solutions to problems. This is an article I found that speaks to this problem. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/21/how_dumb_kids/

Of course we don't want to "reinvent the wheel" every time we do something and that's where things like online and library research come in, but reading about something is very different from doing something and soemtimes its only in the doing that a thing can really be understood. Its scary to think where this problem could lead in just a few generations.

Frakk
04-22-2005, 02:51 PM
what i notice in todays life is people are so dependent on eachother. instead of learning how to deal with problems and solving them, most people just ask for help because its just so much easier. and this is not only with computers and modding, its everywhere. and to be honest i cant stand people who expect me to do the work for them while they dont really care about it. if they do, they will do it anyways, if they dont, then why should i even consider?

as i said before, im more than happy to help if I know the person did some research, willing to do more and i'm not just wearing out my keyboard and wasting my time answering.

DickNervous
04-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Whoa, this got deep real fast....

as i said before, im more than happy to help if I know the person did some research, willing to do more and i'm not just wearing out my keyboard and wasting my time answering.

That is exactly my point with the "Search is your fried" comments I made. When I know someone has tried to figure it out, but can't I will be more then happy to help them. But I agree, too many people lack basic problem solving skills in this world.

nil8
05-19-2005, 11:14 PM
There's an old saying for people who ask questions that can and will be answered elsewhere.

RTFM.

If you have a question about modding, cool. If you're new to it, even better, but I'm pretty sure there are other websites telling you what IRC is and how to use it/newest video card/windows problems/whatever.

Xato
05-20-2005, 01:25 AM
stop bringing up old threads nil8... lol

MrSlacker
05-20-2005, 02:55 PM
There's an old saying for people who ask questions that can and will be answered elsewhere.

RTFM.

If you have a question about modding, cool. If you're new to it, even better, but I'm pretty sure there are other websites telling you what IRC is and how to use it/newest video card/windows problems/whatever.
wait, who ever said this is modding ONLY website??? how come we have Video card section, CPU, software? yes most is modding but this is hardware forum as well.....

Dante
05-20-2005, 04:11 PM

RTFM.

Wow! I love people that are new here. Especially when they act like they own the place. nil8 are you a mod here???? I only ask that because you are telling forum members to go somewhere else for information they are looking for and only mods tell other people to look on other forums for information when it is not contained within a particular forum.

These forums are for all questions not just modding or extreme computing...we welcome everyone whether you are the noobest of the new or an experienced pro modder. If you want to tell people what kind of questions they should ask....GET YOUR OWN FORUM.

MrSlacker
05-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Wow! I love people that are new here. Especially when they act like they own the place. nil8 are you a mod here???? I only ask that because you are telling forum members to go somewhere else for information they are looking for and only mods tell other people to look on other forums for information when it is not contained within a particular forum.

These forums are for all questions not just modding or extreme computing...we welcome everyone whether you are the noobest of the new or an experienced pro modder. If you want to tell people what kind of questions they should ask....GET YOUR OWN FORUM.
PWND!!!!!! :p
sorry just had to say that

Pascs
05-21-2005, 02:08 AM
I’m a newb to this site ( but not to modding – have been doing this for the last 20 years in some form or other) but I am also surprised at some of the questions.

Society these days is just inherently lazy and it is far easier to just sign up and ask a question than it is to search, read, digest and make a reasoned decision.

I’m a member of some other non mod sites and there too are questions that indicate the same complete lack of common sense or thought process.

BUT I’m not opposed to these questions (well I can’t be as a newb to this site !!), I just usually ignore them and let someone who is more interested or knowledgeable answer them.

Dash20
05-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Yeah, I'm a newb here too, but I can relate to the idea of rhetorical questions being unnecessary. Society these days tends to abuse its resources rather than use their brains for themselves. The same applies for a high school student using a calculator to add small numbers... and yes, I've seen it happen. :P

I'm looking more forward to the person who comes on here screaming, "I'm a computer," and tells me to stop all the downloading. :rolleyes: