PDA

View Full Version : Serial LED Fader

chedabob
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Does anybody know if there is such thing?

I want to have my Light Bars to fade in when the pc turns on, then when the monitor switches off (due to inactivity) i want the bars to fade on and off, like the pc is breathing. I thought the easiest way is to make a screensaver that sends the signal via COM to the fader, to trigger the breathing.

Is there a simpler way?

EDIT: Possibly sometime in the future, id like it to act as a music visualizer, so probably a solid link to the pc is the best idea.

dgrmkrp
08-16-2006, 04:12 PM
just a thought: make some sort of "signal tap" beteen the video output and the screens connector.. and try to find that "s3/pos" or something signal the video board sends to turn the screen off... if there is no info online, than this is the only way i can think of to find the turn-off signal... then if/when u find the signal, make a circuit that works only when that signal is like that.. and make the circuit do whatever u want:) i think pcb123 is a free CAD tool for making small (or even complex) circuits.. i recommens something more scientifical or a friend helping :)

Cannibal23
08-16-2006, 04:48 PM
or your could buy a "bread board" just to wire it up to test it before your finalize on a pcb board. usually a good idea to prove your theory before jumping to something more permanant.

Cool1Net6
08-17-2006, 02:05 AM
The fading thing is a very interesting idea. I'd also like to know how this would be (more precisely) done.

-Cool-

EPYK
08-17-2006, 05:41 PM
ummm what are the lightbars.... led, "neon type"..
i ask cuase most leds cant fade