PDA

View Full Version : Flex ATX

MitaPi
08-19-2006, 06:28 PM
What is it?

The Black Pumpkin
08-19-2006, 11:25 PM
You just reminded me of Red Dwarf, when they find a stasis leak, and the Cat keeps asking "What is it?" when they try to describe it to him.

Anyway... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlexATX)

That's a very basic definition. Wiki disappointed me this time.

edit: This (http://www.formfactors.org/ffdetail.asp?ffid=3&catid=1) should provide some more indepth info into it.

.Maleficus.
08-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I've been wondering this too for a while. So, it doens't actually flex? Damn, I was hoping for a bendable computer. Oh well, better luck next time I guess.

MitaPi
08-20-2006, 02:40 AM
This is proving to be a very interesting topic. lol

Slug Toy
08-20-2006, 03:44 PM
i think bottom line is that flexATX is similar in size to microATX, and flex refers to flexibility of application (you can put the motherboard in a lot of places).

problem solved... many times.

chedabob
08-20-2006, 04:56 PM
somebody should make a flexible pc. that would be awesome.

damn that gave me some crazy idea : make the pc "Modular", so it can move around. it would probably be impossible, but it would be cool if it could be done.

Slug Toy
08-20-2006, 05:53 PM
they're working on flexible circuits. i read somewhere that they have preliminary engineering samples being tested right now, and they perform just as good as their non flexible counterparts.

we already have modular pc's. they all are. if you can pick up your case and take it to a lan party, its modular as a whole. the true meaning of modular design is that individual parts are easily replaced. video cards, sound cards, CPU's, optical drives, ram, hard drives, power supply, and even the motherboard are all modular parts. so there you have it.

MitaPi
08-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Flexible circuits you say? Now that will be cool! I bet they will be a bit on the $$$ side though huh?

CanaBalistic
08-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Cammeras all use flexable printed circuit boards and so do a lot of other devices. One big problem would be attaching them to somthing. If they wernt attached they would flop over on themselfs on the floor. They would have to be mounted to somthing which would negate the need for such a product.

Slug Toy
08-22-2006, 02:16 AM
yes, you do need to attach flexible things to rigid things, but that doesnt necessarily negate flexibility. it can allow for motion of the rigid parts.

realistically, theres no need for flexible things inside a metal box. flexible things inside... say a suitcase or purse... that has some promise.

when i talk about flexible circuits, im talking about logic circuits... processors. maybe not extremely advanced ones, but they do some sort of complex function. this is something new... basic flexible circuits arent particularly new. heck, wires are essentially parts of flexible circuits. the flexible logic stuff is probably the most interesting thing...

EPYK
09-07-2006, 04:32 PM
i also believe that most soft-touch keyboards use a form of flex circuitry.

MitaPi
09-07-2006, 05:39 PM
You could have a cylindrical computer! That would be kind of neat, like those sub woofers...