PDA

View Full Version : Max CPU Tempature

Razors Edge
08-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Whats the MAX CPU tempature in Celcius before it burns out? Becuase I don't want to have my smart fan in my cpu heatsink becuase its too damn loud.

Slug Toy
08-21-2006, 02:29 AM
the problem isnt only the temperature at which your CPU burns out. the problem is also what threshold is safe at all, meaning how high does it have to get before CPU lifespan is affected.

generally, anything over 60 celcius is going to degrade the lifespan. i believe getting to about 100 celcius pretty much guarantees failure. i know for a fact that if you take the heatsink off and run the CPU bare, it usually explodes within 10 seconds. you may have seen the video of two idiots overclocking... they took the heatsink off and the thing blew up, punched a hole in the motherboard, and shattered into three pieces. it can and will happen if you arent careful.

if you want to run things with just a passive heatsink, you should look into that first. what type of heatsink do you have? the big ones with lots of mass and surface area can probably do it, but smaller ones cant.

monoflap
08-21-2006, 04:51 PM
you may have seen the video of two idiots overclocking... they took the heatsink off and the thing blew up, punched a hole in the motherboard, and shattered into three pieces. LOL do you have a link for that?

nil8
08-21-2006, 06:24 PM
It's on video google.

Razors Edge
08-21-2006, 06:40 PM
And youtube

Airbozo
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
the problem isnt only the temperature at which your CPU burns out. the problem is also what threshold is safe at all, meaning how high does it have to get before CPU lifespan is affected.

generally, anything over 60 celcius is going to degrade the lifespan. i believe getting to about 100 celcius pretty much guarantees failure. i know for a fact that if you take the heatsink off and run the CPU bare, it usually explodes within 10 seconds. you may have seen the video of two idiots overclocking... they took the heatsink off and the thing blew up, punched a hole in the motherboard, and shattered into three pieces. it can and will happen if you arent careful.

if you want to run things with just a passive heatsink, you should look into that first. what type of heatsink do you have? the big ones with lots of mass and surface area can probably do it, but smaller ones cant.

The newer systems will shut down before the cpu reaches critical temerature. Forget the heatsink and the system will barely make it to post before it shuts off.

CanaBalistic
08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
What i would do is...

I would drill a small hole in the heatsink for a thermal probe. Measure the temp with the fan on for a baseline temp. Unclip the fan and hold it above the heatsink and start the computer. Once its warmed up, slowly move the fan away and watch the temps. Not to mention, it would be a cool mod and you could post pictures of the process.

Anything above 60c is generaly considered bad. My CPU is at 28c, although i have more than adequate cooling.

simon275
08-22-2006, 03:20 AM
My cpu runs at 25. My gpu can get up around 70.

60 will kill the cpu it depends on your BIOS options what happens when a certian temp is reached. You can just turn the shut down options off and melt silicion like marshmellows

Razors Edge
08-22-2006, 10:19 AM
25c is cool. god bless mine doesnt pass 50c. But I don't want mine to pass 40c. Is tehre any watercooling kits for socket 478?

justblair
08-22-2006, 01:00 PM
I consider 65c to be the hottest I will be comfortable with on my passive run machine. Its an Athlon XP processor. It may reduce its lifespan, but hey, how long will a 2100 athlon underclocked be usefull to me? Another couple of years perhaps before I do my next software upgrade. Most of the time it sits in the low 50s however.

The temperature thresholds of processors vary between designs. Some of the Via chips are safe well beyond the 60's.

Some intels its not reccomended to go above 50c

nil8
08-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, there are wc blocks for socket 478.

dgrmkrp
08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
got these long time ago... only "new" stuf here.. didn't bother with other data..

Athlon Socket A up to 1 GHz, Duron up to 1.3GHz 90°C
Athlon "Thunderbird" Socket A 1.1GHz or more 95°C
Athlon MP 1.33GHz or more 95°C
Athlon XP up to 2100+ 90°C
Athlon XP 2200+ and faster 85°C
Duron "Applebred" 1.4G and faster 85°C
AMD Opteron 69 or 70°C
Athlon 64, 64FX, Sempron Most models 70°C; 65°C for some Socket 939 Athlon 64 models
Athlon 64 X2 (dual core) 65°C
Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) 63°C
Pentium D 830 and 840 (3.0-3.2GHz) 69.8°C

these are the temps you never wanna see.. this is how high it can go.. not good though.. i think 60 is the limit too.. and don't what to aproach that either.. as passive as possible, with one 120mm fan set as low.. i get ~50.. but i have no idea why i even tried to see how hot it can get (i need beer?).. the thing is: with good cooling cpu stays safe :) with bad cooling, it goes into throtling.. at best... worse case.. video.google lol