PDA

View Full Version : DX10 compatibility

Indybird
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
I've got a couple questions...
First, is it possible to make a DX9 graphics card DX10 compatible with a driver update?
If so, does anyone know if nvidia is going to make the 7950GX2 DX10 compatible?

Second, is DX10 really going to be that much better than DX9?

Lastly, am I going to need DX10 to run vista and vista-era games to their full potential?

Sorry I have so many questions, I just knew nothing on the subject...

Slug Toy
08-20-2006, 11:45 PM
no, no, yes, and nyeos (yes and no).

you cant make dx9 cards compatible with dx10. its fundamentally different software, and requires fundamentally different hardware.

the 7950 will NOT be dx10 compatible. anyone who is buying a 7950 is kind of wasting their money, especially this close to nvidia releasing their new stuff. oh, except you of course... you made the best decision in the world and anyone who disagrees in any way, shape, or form is completely idiotic.

dx10 is quite a bit ahead of dx9 in terms of efficiency, and a few new features. anything you can do in dx10 CAN be done in dx9, but the performance cost is retarded, and is therefore not practical. dx10 allows for more things because of the better efficiency.

lastly, you dont need dx10 stuff to run vista. vista comes with dx9L which is an updated version of dx9. you can run off that, or you can go with dx10. dx10 games are a different story. if the game is dx10, thats it, you need dx10 hardware. there may be options though... who knows. they may do dx10/dx9L and you can choose. if it only says dx10 though, you can only use dx10 hardware.

jreffy
08-21-2006, 12:01 AM
The other side of the needing dx10 for Vista thing...

Keep in mind that most games that will require dx10 won't come out for some time after Vista. Even those that do come out immediately after Vista release, most likely will A) work with dx9L, B) not fully utilize the new dx10 cards.

Your best bet, which is basically what I am doing right now with my new build, is to go with a high-end (not necessarily "the best"). I'm stuck between the 7950 or 7900, I just can't pick one. I'll probably go with the 7950, since it's top-of-the-line, I can afford it, and it will probably be a year before I even think of upgrading. The only downside is there's no waterblock for it yet so I can't watercool it :(

Silenced_Coyote
08-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Danger Den is coming out with a waterblock for the 7950 soon! Dgephri already has once since he knows some guys form DD. Here is a page on his worklog with the waterblock:
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3517&page=6

Indybird
08-21-2006, 01:04 AM
So with my current setup (check my sig) and the purchase of windows vista, how long can you estimate I'll be able to play the latest games?

The reason I'm so worried about DX10 is:
Crysis (http://www.crysis-online.com/) is (if you don't already know) going to have the best graphics and any game ever! And to fully utilize these extreme graphics you will need Vista and DX10. I love jungle/alien shooters with really good graphics (Far Cry, Halo 2, Half Life 2, etc.), so this is going to be big on my list...

Does anyone actually know when nvidia will be releasing their 8000 series cards? Cause if they release them soon and I can get one as good as the 7950GX2 for less than 600 bucks than I might sell my 7950GX2 and get that one.

Slug Toy
08-21-2006, 02:34 AM
nvidia is reportedly releasing the 8000 series in september. who knows though, this time around it isnt all over the net.

not only crysis, but halo 2 is coming out specifically for vista as well, and im very sure it uses dx10.

if you keep the 7950, youll be able to use vista as long as you keep dx9L installed. for games... all bets are off. yes, there will be games that still wont use dx10 a year from now, but the games that push the boundaries and that are inherently popular will probably move to dx10 reasonably soon.