PDA

View Full Version : Multitude of Problems!

Silenced_Coyote
08-22-2006, 02:20 AM
I got a friend that needs help with problems that he is having with his PC.

This is what he told me:
"The ASUS motherboard P5AD2E-Premium comes up speaking an error "System failed CPU test" and after turning the power on and off form the swwitch on the power supply unit varying anywhere from 2-15 times or so it will finally beep and continue normal system startup with no problems at all, performance is unaffected, however the DVDBurner had stopped reading shortly before this error began, and now it will only burn whenever the computer is started with a blank disc inside. Is this related to the motherboard error?"

He is also going to switch out the CD drive this Thursday to see if that helps.

Can anyone help us please?

Razors Edge
08-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Obviosley his CPU doesn't semm to be working or it isnt installed correctley.I suggest taking the heatsink off, Taking the cpu of and checking it for broken Pins. If just 1 PIN is broken or damaged in anyway you just killed you're CPU.

Otherwise, Taking the cpu off and reconnecting it, and making sure its secure. Also make sure you're heatsink is hooked on correctley with quality thermal paste. If you're cpu doesnt have proper cooling, It can fry in about 10 seconds.

As for the DVD burner, I have no idea. I suggest disconnecting it for a while whiel trying to get you're computer to work, OR simply try the DVD burner out on another system, See if it works on that one. I doubt it has anything to do with the motherboard CPU error

monoflap
08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
What kind of psu is he running? If its some crappy 350 watt that came with the case I would get that fixed first.

Silenced_Coyote
08-22-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't know what PSU he had before but I know that he switched to an Antec (don't know which model) some months ago.

Razors Edge
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Antecs good, Don't talk shi* about antec.

Its the cpu man im telling you.

Luke122
08-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the CPU..

I once had an issue with whole lab of PC's randomly rebooting, locking up, or not booting at all until you tried it 3-4 times. Turned out that the tech who built them all didnt seat the CPU's correctly.

Just a quick reseat and they were good to go. As for the DVD drive, same deal; Reseat all the cables and test.

Also, try starting the PC without the DVD drive attached, and see if that clears up your CPU issue. I know there's no direct connection between the two, but I've seen some crazy hardware failures.

Silenced_Coyote
08-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Antecs good, Don't talk shi* about antec.

Its the cpu man im telling you.

Was my reply in anyway talking bad of Antec? Because I certainly wasn't.

Razors Edge
08-22-2006, 07:50 PM
I wasnt saying you where. Im jsut saying ti generally, no one talk **** about antec. I like antec.

Its you're cpu, Try out what I said in my first pos there, and let me know what happens.

Silenced_Coyote
08-22-2006, 08:18 PM
He says that there is no damage to the pins and that his CPU is secured. He has Arctic Silver and his Zalman 9500 is attached correctly.

Silenced_Coyote
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Update:

His CD drive died and he will be getting that replaced.

Is there anyway to find out if the problem is caused by the CPU and/or mobo? Like is there a way to isolate the motherboard to see if that is at fault?

Silenced_Coyote
09-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Update:

He bought a new motherboard and CPU. And he is happily gaming with a Conroe in his PC.

Thanks for all your help guys!