PDA

View Full Version : Project: Amped

FullMetalJacket
08-22-2006, 06:32 AM
This began as a plan to make the most elegant computer case out there. Black velvet, walnut panels, dead quiet.

Then I started thinking about other fabrics.

It was my elder brother's idea to investigate thick, black fuzzy speaker box carpet, and my father went from there.

Thus was born 'Project Amped'.

Presently, technicals are a little lower than I'd really like, with 1024Mb of DDR RAM, a 700Mhz PIII, stock intel D815EEA Socket 370 mobo, Slow and old seagate HDDs (one nine Gb, one twenty) and an ASUS Radeon 9600 128Mb that I wrangled for cheap on ebay.

The plan with those next is to purchase a new Western Digital 160Gb 7200RPM for $88. The mobo and mainboard I intend to leave as they are, and spend the next lot of cash on my next planned computer.

But back to the mod. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of it under construction, as I only gained access to it in these later stages of work.

It took us about three months to get around to buying the first parts. These were a few metres of speakerbox felt, rubber cornerpieces and top handles.

The idea then came from me for ducted cooling. This, however, proved difficult to implement and once again my father came up with a better idea, of using a tweeter port over the 70mm ThermalTake SuperOrb dual fan tower for air induction (I was having some airflow trouble before that).

(pictures to come)

So we 'nibbled' out a port hole on the plate with a power drill and small bit, measured and cut the port to fit and bought a jar of kwik grip. Then we stripped it down to the chassis and started lathering on the felt.

Leaving that drying overnight, we started thinking about the faceplate. The decision was made to use a piece of stained pine that was precisely the right size.

The power switch have been replaced by a custom circuit I've laid and soldered that when two fingers are touched to a pair of polished boltheads, the capacitance changes and trips a relay that sends a startup or shutdown command.

Also on the cards are a set of analogue gauges cannibalized from a Kenman amp to display clockspeed, temperature and power consumption.

FullMetalJacket
08-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Additionally, a custom cooling device is being developed.

I have three concepts.

No. 1: Sublimation cooling. A decent high pressure electric solenoid run off a parallel port controlling the flow of compressed CO2 across the CPU by way of copper piping and heatsinks.

No. 2: Airconditioning. A forty dollar 'travel cooler' that I can buy at my local hobby store designed to run off the cigarette lighter in a car that according to them chills a 500 x 100 x 300mm zone to about six degrees celsius by means of a small freon heat exchanger. I plan to cannibalise it and plant it between the PSU and top-level 5.25 bays running off a molex plug.

No.3: Custom peltier effect cooling made by grown bismuth and silicone semiconductor crystals. Also running off a molex plug, possibly with a transformer.

dgrmkrp
08-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Additionally, a custom cooling device is being developed.
now u got me interested.. i subscibed to this thread.. then i saw the ideas! wow! i love all of them... and it would be great if you were to follow (at least) one tru :) oh, more pics pls :)

FullMetalJacket
08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Just taking some now.

FullMetalJacket
08-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Update No. 1 - The wooden front panel has been abandoned in favour of a recessed black metal grill. Current pictures were with the wood and cantilevered old CD drive and corners sitting in place but not screwed in. Also, as a safety precauton a keyed switch has been placed in series with the touch switch to prevent accidental activation

Slug Toy
08-22-2006, 05:55 PM
i have an idea for a cooling solution. propane. ever seen how some fridges run off propane and you have the pilot light in the bottom? you could try that. it would probably work similar to your CO2 idea... just a little more flamable. if you have the propane feed nice and close to the case, you can get some pretty good temperatures and even get some front forming. best of all, you can use the pilot light for some interesting effects. imagine a small flame coming out of the top of the computer through a screen or something.

FullMetalJacket
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Actually, that ties back to an idea I had a while ago, a device linked to tie-in program, that, whenever I score a frag in whicever game I'm playing, a little mapp gas flare goes off on the top of the box.

But propane would be interesting, it would probably require a more expensive set-up than I was planning on. I was thinking for the CO2, a rechargable fire extinguisher just discharging through the copper piping.

But I'll look into propane compressors as well.

FullMetalJacket
08-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Update 2: Coolant!

Alright, I did a bit of looking about the box on the travel cooler and it's listed as a 'thermoelectric heater/cooler', so it's obviously run off peltiers anyway. This is a good thing, because to buy peltiers otherwise would require me looking overseas or out of state.

The current coolant plan is outlined below.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/527/coolerve2.png

Additionally, I might be picking up a dual-Tualatin 1.2x1.2 intel board for a dollar.