PDA

View Full Version : How is it done?

ludothegreat
04-24-2005, 03:02 AM
Iv been serching for about an hour now on how everyone is making these rusted cases. The best I have come up with is iorn based paint and then a solution to make it rust. But what is it? I really would like to add some rust to the inside of my Project Leathercase case. Anyone have any suggestions?

Guttenaffe
04-24-2005, 03:27 AM
I seem to recall that there is paint that looks like rust, also if your good with an air-brush you can "draw" rust really well. For an example of the airbrush look is crimson's Doom3 case.

ludothegreat
04-24-2005, 04:06 AM
Yeah the Doom3 case was one case I was looking at trying to find out if it was used on it or not. I am not good with an airbrush at all. I have been trying to get better, but it takes a lot of practice. Right now I am looking for an easy way out :/

Mach
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Search on Faux Finish Rust either via google or google groups

Crimson Sky did this for the biohazard mod.

I'm sure you get this question often; on the Biohazard case, how did you get the rust effect? Is it 'simply' layering paint or is a matter of using acids, etc.

Acid would have been cool, but my girlfriend would have killed me before the chemical did. The rust effect was achieved by first painting the case with chrome spray paint. I then bought a 'faux rust kit' from "That Large Home Store". It comes with orange spray paint and a brown acrylic in a can. You basically spray on the orange in spots and then stipple the brown over it with a sea sponge until you get the desired effect. Having the chrome underneath gives it a hint of what it may have once looked like before it rusted.

You can also dust iron filings into a clear finish but it's difficult to control the effect.

ludothegreat
04-24-2005, 11:36 PM
sweet thanks Mach

ludothegreat
04-25-2005, 03:40 AM
I found this... anyone ever used it?

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=cp0052