PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core Vs. Conroe

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Pick one. I'm not really interested in overclocking mind you. But which would you pick if you were going to leave it as is?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116240

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

Also...

Give me a list of pro's and con's as you understand it so I know that you are not just going along with a "fad" or because everyone else is doing it.

Slug Toy
08-25-2006, 12:27 AM
you know what my opinion is already. the numbers dont lie. conroe WILL wipe the floor with that 950. i like the e6600 better, but thats just because it is the cheapest one with 4MB of cache. the 6400 has 2MB, but can probably clock up just as well. ive heard reports of the 6300 topping 3GHz.

basically, if you go with any conroe processor, you make me happy, and you'll definitely make yourself happy too.

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 12:40 AM
you know what my opinion is already. the numbers dont lie. conroe WILL wipe the floor with that 950. i like the e6600 better, but thats just because it is the cheapest one with 4MB of cache. the 6400 has 2MB, but can probably clock up just as well. ive heard reports of the 6300 topping 3GHz.

basically, if you go with any conroe processor, you make me happy, and you'll definitely make yourself happy too.

Okay, So I just noticed that I can get a dual gpu board for half the price of the board for my pentium D. So I upgraded my comparison to the e6600. But I am still not convinced.

.Maleficus.
08-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Conroe. If you want a pro's and con's list, just look at any test on the web.

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 01:06 AM
C'mon people! You guys say its AMAZING! Then convince me already!! Dont just tell me its better. MAKE ME BELIEVE IT IS BETTER! If you guys arent passionate about your choice in the conroe then I really dont think that it is THAT much better than a 3.4 dual core. I want you to prove me wrong. I want you to make me feel DUMB for ever even THINKING that the dual core could even stand a chance against the conroe.

Technology is like a religion to me. You cant just tell me its better and you cant just tell me that it must be better because its new and every one is doing it. Thats how we got mormons! ^_^ Sorry had to throw in some humor here. :D I dont have anything against seagull worshippers.

silverdemon
08-25-2006, 02:45 AM
sorry mita, the intel conroe processors are just better than the AMD processors today, nothing fancy about it... Just google for some reviews and you'll see that conroe beats every other known processor...

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
argh, I hated it but I read through 15 pages worth of information on the conroe. I was hoping to get a nice few paragraphs here but I couldnt wait ^_^. Well thanks for at least giving me your opinions on what you think. I have decided to go with the E6600 CONROE! It might of took a LONG time to read but it sure was convincing information! Man.. this thing freakin blows amd's masterpiece out of the water! It even made me laugh out loud. I dont remember who... but I told someone that I would always stick with INTEL over AMD. This is why, I knew they would pull through. lol I just didnt realize that they would pull through with a F-35 Fighter Jet compared to AMD's F-22 Raptor!

Now I have a new question. How high can I overclock this baby with a mid ranged water cooling kit? :D

Slug Toy
08-25-2006, 03:05 AM
well ive been seeing lots of reports of 3GHz on stock cooling easy. with watercooling... wow i dont even want to try to make a guess on that. its too new, and its too crazy to think about. lets say upwards of 3GHz for now, unless the chip is fatally flawed and just wont go any higher.

<EDIT> you like to be stubborn dont you? took you a few weeks to convince you that what i was telling you on msn was true...

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 03:26 AM
well ive been seeing lots of reports of 3GHz on stock cooling easy. with watercooling... wow i dont even want to try to make a guess on that. its too new, and its too crazy to think about. lets say upwards of 3GHz for now, unless the chip is fatally flawed and just wont go any higher.

<EDIT> you like to be stubborn dont you? took you a few weeks to convince you that what i was telling you on msn was true...

lol Yea I admit I am crazy stubborn. I still think that the dual core processor is a good processor. But I will admit that the conroe pretty much makes it look like a shrimp compared to the conroes whale. Also... back then I couldnt find a reasonable priced mobo with dual GPU capability as well as conroe capable. But now I found a good priced mobo that isnt AS good but hey.. as long as conroe can be installed into it as well as dual gpu I dont care too much. :P

So not even a guess of what I could overclock a conroe to with a mid ranged H2O Kit??

Do processsors become unstable because of inefficient cooling??

Slug Toy
08-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Do processsors become unstable because of inefficient cooling??

more often than not. heat usually stops you before anything else.

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 03:41 AM
ah ic ic... so... with a water cooling kit you could probably get a 3.2 conroe? or maybe even higher?

TheGreatSatan
08-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Read about the Conroe in MaxPC. They burned at DVD with no heatsink and very little temp change. Any chip that allows me to toss out a 16oz heatsink is amazing.

Slug Toy
08-25-2006, 03:51 AM
ah ic ic... so... with a water cooling kit you could probably get a 3.2 conroe? or maybe even higher?

i would like to think that its possible. it doesnt seem like anyone is really wanting to push these processors all the way with crazy cooling yet... so who knows.

They burned at DVD with no heatsink and very little temp change.

so if im understanding this right... they ran it with no heatsink? all i have to say to that is oh... my... god. its been quite a while since the last desktop CPU that actually let you do that.

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Wait... you can run a conroe without a heatsink???? lol wasnt the last one to be able to do that a weak celeron or something?? This lil baby is truly AWESOME!

monoflap
08-25-2006, 10:54 AM
They ran it without the heatsink for like 2 hours, not all day. Even so, imagine how for you could push a cpu that runs that cool with watercooling!

.Maleficus.
08-25-2006, 11:01 AM
You know, to start out, I wouldn't even get water cooling. I was going to on my new build also, but reading how high this can overclock with stock cooling, I would just get a nice heatsink/fan and see what you can do. Then if you're not happy, watercool. I mean, if you can get 3ghz on stock cooling, get a nice Tt or Zalman cooler, and you should be good to go for a while.

jreffy
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM

There are some people out there running as high as 4.0Ghz E6600's, but as of yet, none of them have maintained a stable system. However, out of the stable systems, both with air and water, range from 3.2-3.8Ghz pretty regularly. The closer you get to 3.6-3.8, the more people you will see using water-cooling systems, while the low end overclockers are getting by just fine with quality air cooling setups.

I will be watercooling my PC. I don't haev any plans for a huge overclock just yet, but I will start with a small one, learn some, and work up from there. Just excited to finish my case and get my E6600 build up and running.

Indybird
08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I have a E6700 and I overclocked it to 3.5GHz with stock cooling no prob... ;)

I know this doesn't apply to you but I've seen some reviews where they got the X6800 to 4.5GHz! :eek: They noticed a 40% performance gain! :eek: I couldn't even fricken believe that! Of course it was watercooled but, conroes are even better than I thought...:rolleyes:

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
You know, to start out, I wouldn't even get water cooling. I was going to on my new build also, but reading how high this can overclock with stock cooling, I would just get a nice heatsink/fan and see what you can do. Then if you're not happy, watercool. I mean, if you can get 3ghz on stock cooling, get a nice Tt or Zalman cooler, and you should be good to go for a while.

I am getting the thermaltake volcano heat exchanger for my conroe. I am also getting a 90mm tt smart fan at 78cfm. Could I use this as a heatsink/fan untill I get the rest of the money for a reservoir, pump, rad and accessories?

I would rather water cool than air cool even if it is a conroe. If I am going to spend that much $$$ on a conroe and overclock it I want the best cooling I can possibly get. Remember now.. I am a tempature freak. Thats why I have an industrial floor fan blowing into the side of my case at what? I dont even know how much cfm! lol All I know is that without it all my pc components heat up and when I have it everything is cool to the touch. It looks something like this...

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productsPerPicGroups.web?picGroupKey=3534&options.parentCategoryKey=133&index=11&catSearchParams.categoryKey=1668&REQ_SUB_CAT=Blower%20Fans#gridAnchor

I am going to take a guess at 2500 cfm.

I have a E6700 and I overclocked it to 3.5GHz with stock cooling no prob... ;)

I know this doesn't apply to you but I've seen some reviews where they got the X6800 to 4.5GHz! :eek: They noticed a 40% performance gain! :eek: I couldn't even fricken believe that! Of course it was watercooled but, conroes are even better than I thought...:rolleyes:

lol hey we both have similar taste! Conroe and Lexa's! ^_^ Except that your conroe is better as well as your ram and mobo and everything else... :P

Edit:
AH HA! My Hard Drive is better. ^_^ lol (Seagate/320GB/16MB Cache/7200RPM/Perpindicular Rec.)

I wonder how high you could overclock a X6800 with that nitro technique they used on tomshardware.com?? LOL WOW

Indybird I just took a look at your mobo. I hate you ^_^

Indybird
08-25-2006, 01:18 PM
lol hey we both have similar taste! Conroe and Lexa's! ^_^ Except that your conroe is better as well as your ram and mobo and everything else... :P

Edit:
AH HA! My Hard Drive is better. ^_^ lol (Seagate/320GB/16MB Cache/7200RPM/Perpindicular Rec.)

I wonder how high you could overclock a X6800 with that nitro technique they used on tomshardware.com?? LOL WOW

Indybird I just took a look at your mobo. I hate you ^_^
I forgot you have a Lexa also... :)

[not bragging]My mobo's a great overclocker and has alot of nice features, but it can only run crossfire in 8x/8x mode. :( [/not bragging]
I would O.C mine to 4GHz if I had watercooling, right now at 3.5Ghz i run at 60° C under full load...

Silenced_Coyote
08-25-2006, 01:48 PM
I saw an Article on Anandtech yesterday. The overclocks were crazy!
First chart on this page. (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2822&p=4)
The E6300 hit 3.68! You could save a lot of money and get a really high performing CPU. Conroe is awesome; great overclocks on air.
Kind of questions the point of buying the E6600 or E6700.

.Maleficus.
08-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm getting the E6600 because it has 4MB L2 Cache, and getting one with only 2MB when there are 4MB ones for $100 more seems dumb to me.

But to each his own.

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm getting the E6600 because it has 4MB L2 Cache, and getting one with only 2MB when there are 4MB ones for $100 more seems dumb to me.

But to each his own.

My thought exactly. Besides, Its easier to reach a higher *stable* clock speed with a higher factory set clock speed.

jreffy
08-25-2006, 06:38 PM
just to close out this thread, I'd like to share my personal Conroe experience with you all.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v381/jreffy/?action=view&current=MVI_1173.flv

The read only password to view this album is: ok

MitaPi
08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
OMG! YES! That was freaking awesome! lol You just totally made my day :D

Indybird
08-25-2006, 07:04 PM
just to close out this thread, I'd like to share my personal Conroe experience with you all.

Wow, that was lame...JK :D thats what I did when I got mine out of the box...

simon275
08-25-2006, 08:22 PM
*gets dizzy at end and falls out of chair"

Lol thats what I was like back when I got my 6800gt. When it was the most bleeding edge GPU out there.

Any way I don't want to upgrade to core 2 duo as I will have to buy the processor along with RAM MOBO and GPU. So it woud be like a $1000 upgrade I think not.

The boy 4rm oz
08-31-2006, 07:24 AM
After reading this post you have convinced me to go Conroe. It is slightly more expensive for me at the moment but using this will mean no upgrade for about 3-4 years with my 4GB ram and 2x 7900GT'S in SLI. Oh and by the way I have a LEXA aswell!!! ****n awesome case.

MitaPi
08-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Right on! Go Lexa Cult Worshippers! ^_^

That was my prime concern right there. Price and the fact that nice things become not so nice things within a month. If you look at all the tests they have ran on the conroe... wow. That right there convinced me that it is AT LEAST worth saving up that extra bit of cash for the E6600. That and I dont think that you are going to be able to beat the conroe series any time soon without spending that extra amount of mulah.

BTW
What is your favorite feature(s) about the Nzxt Lexa?

Silenced_Coyote
08-31-2006, 12:21 PM

You sure you should be holding that blade while spinning around with it above your head? :eek:

Indybird
08-31-2006, 01:11 PM
How many people on TBCS have a Lexa!? :eek:
I think everyone here has one but they won't tell us. :D

MitaPi
09-01-2006, 01:21 AM
lol yea no kidding... It seems like alot of people do actually.

The boy 4rm oz
09-01-2006, 05:43 AM
A thought just popped into my head. When the AM2 came out it was about the same price that the Conroe is at the moment. For a duel core 3800 it was about $550 AUS same as the Conroe. In about 2 weeks the duel core 3800 dropped to $245. My point being wait for a couple of weeks before purchase and you can upgrade a couple of models for the same price or save urself some dough.

MitaPi
09-01-2006, 06:50 AM
I wont be able to get my conroe untill either the beginning of next summer or the end. Reason for that is simply because I dont want to caugh up that much money. SO... I am getting my graphics card for christmas and the conroe for my b-day. Or at least money to put towards it. It should be alot cheaper by then hopefully. Maybe AMD will reveal some hidden top secret weapon they have been working on that is better than the conroe. That would lower the price for sure ^_^

...psh, unlikely :p

Silenced_Coyote
09-01-2006, 12:14 PM
AMD's next thing will be K8L but it is too early to know how it will stack up against Conroe.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-k8l.html

The boy 4rm oz
09-02-2006, 05:34 AM
Well my upgrade will take place between August and December next year so i got a lot of time to wate lol.

MitaPi
09-02-2006, 06:13 AM
lol oh man I know how that feels. I am actually hoping to get some money to buy a good majority or at least a good amount of what I am building this christmas. If not then I will have to wait till may 27th :P

Silenced_Coyote
09-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm just waiting for news/parts. I want to try to plan this out as perfect as possible.

.Maleficus.
09-02-2006, 09:29 PM
A thought just popped into my head. When the AM2 came out it was about the same price that the Conroe is at the moment. For a duel core 3800 it was about $550 AUS same as the Conroe. In about 2 weeks the duel core 3800 dropped to $245. My point being wait for a couple of weeks before purchase and you can upgrade a couple of models for the same price or save urself some dough.
Wasn't that because Conroe came out, and AMD needed to still be able to compete?

As for buying parts, once I figured out I was getting a C2D, it was pretty easy to get the other parts. Knowing good brands in the beginning made that a lot easier. Gigabyte, Thermaltake, ATI (Sapphire made), WD, Hiper, Corsair and Creative Labs will all have things going into my machine :D.

Edit: Ahhh, never mind. I just realized Conroe hasn't been out all that long. Was it because Conroe was coming out?

Silenced_Coyote
09-03-2006, 01:47 AM
AMD is trying to lead or stay competitive in the price/performance ratio so they had to drop their prices by a lot. AMD dropped the prices after Conroe came out (or at least when the NDA was lifted and AMD saw more evidence that Conroe was for real).

isunktheship
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
ive heard reports of the 6300 topping 3GHz.

I'm sooo happy to hear that! Do you know what cooling system they used, or where you found that info? Man I love my upgrade! It was only 700 bucks for the CPU, vid card, memory, and mobo.

Silenced_Coyote
09-11-2006, 10:40 PM
3.18 GHz
Here is a page from an article using the Asus P5N32-SLI SE. (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=6) They used the Tuniq Tower 120 in that article.

3.68 GHz
Here is another article, but they used the Asus P5B Deluxe with the Scythe Infinity CPU cooler. (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2822&p=3)

Clueless
09-12-2006, 12:21 AM
The Conroes are Dual Core....are you talking about the Pentium D's vs. Conroes? Conroes take all!