PDA

View Full Version : Watercooled Laptop!

Indybird
08-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Wow, I didn't think it was possible do it in such little space but, they came through!
A Water-cooled Laptop (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,86363-page,1/article.html)! :eek:
Im suprised that alienware doesn't have this in their systems yet...

dgrmkrp
08-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Hitachi hopes to commercialize the product sometime between July and September 2002 for corporate users in Japan and plans to adopt the system for other products such as servers and Plasma Display Panels, which also generate large quantities of heat and require a lot of cooling, Uchiyama says.
aaah.. some time has passed.. and i have to admit i never heard of this before.. shouldn't we have or at least some of these beasts? ... and how could they route the pipes in the screen area.. there is a hinge there.. well.. need some pics.. recent ones.. maybe this is a dead project.. although promising :)

Cevinzol
08-25-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah it sound like a dead project

The hot water solution is then sent to the display part of the notebook where the heat is released
I bet they couldn't keep the hosing from kinking and cracking. Just what you want is a lapfull of 140 degree coolant.
can you say McDonalds Coffe?

nil8
08-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Yea, that's a desk only kinda thing.
The heat from laptops can cause reproductive damage, so you shouldn't be using it on a bare lap anyway.

Indybird
08-25-2006, 05:13 PM
I bet there's a little extra tubing and limited screen-bending to prevent the cables from getting cut off...

MitaPi
08-27-2006, 07:47 AM
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Jul/chi20020719015488.htm

chedabob
08-27-2006, 04:27 PM
you could just put everything in a neat docking station, and have to female connectors on the back that go to tiny blocks. then just dock and run :P

you could underclock the processor for on the go, using less battery, and less heat. then when you need that burst of power, dock and cool.

i should patent that, cos its a really good idea. i might have a go on that beast of a laptop i have.