PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!

AWSM
04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
I want to buy a new flat screen Monitor for gaming between 19 to 24 inch. What would be a good one to go with and why? what are some good prices? Any ideas people?

MrSlacker
04-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Dell makes some nice LCDs. check out Hot Deals forum for great deal on Dell LCDs. they have 19", 20", 20" widescreen and 24" widescreen

Frakk
04-24-2005, 09:32 PM
it really depends on what you want and how big you want. LG, Samsung, Sony, these are all good brands, find out what you need in a monitor, noone can help you there. good prices vary with different manufacturers and vendors, you have too look around and see ure possibilities.

X child
04-25-2005, 05:11 AM
It's also not a bad idea to go to some computer stores and actually look at the monitors. For whatever reason different companies have different theories on calculating the stats for monitors. Contrast ratio, brightness being the main things I can think of right now. Plus you can look at monitors side by side and determine which looks best to you.

For gaming I believe it's recommended to get a 12ms response time or lower, 8ms being the optimal. I have a 17inch Sony XBrite LCD for gaming. I really wanted the 19inch but was unwilling to part with another $200.

Another thing to watch for in the LCD department is to check what the dead pixel policy is at the store you are buying it from. I know Newegg has an 8 dead pixel policy before you can return it, no matter where the dead pixels are. I bought my monitor from Circuit City and paid the extra money for the warranty so they will take it back with only 1 dead pixel.

AWSM
05-01-2005, 05:02 PM
WoW thanks for all the input people :).

ZeD
05-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Unfortunatly I wouldnt put much into how it looks in the store, flourecent lights make it look alot different than it will in your home. As for response time anything under 16ms and your good, 12 and 8 are better but you wont see much of a difference honestly. Dell's have an excellent return policy, you can return it for any reason, you dont even have to say why, of the 25 or so I purchased for builds not one had a dead pixel. (Depending on the model the screens are phillips or samsung\sony) Alot of times they are basically the same as a $1200 Sony model since the physical screen and chip are the same, just a different housing that says Dell.