PDA

View Full Version : new mobo means window$ install?

public_eyesore
04-24-2005, 09:22 PM
i was wondering if i got a new motherboard, would i have to reinstall windows? And since i have an hp, do you think they would give me a free version of wondows, or since im modding it so much are they going to say its my problem?

MrSlacker
04-24-2005, 09:27 PM
do you have a CD-Key and a Windows CD? if not may be try calling HP and tell them you want to reinstall windows but your comp didnt come w/ CD-Key. when you install a new mobo, you need to reinstall XP.

Frakk
04-24-2005, 09:28 PM
it is recomended to reinstall it, however you can get away just reinstalling the drivers. i dont know about the free version, i dont think they will give you one, it should be included in the package when you got the hp. if there is no install cd for the system, you have to get one.

Dgephri
04-24-2005, 11:02 PM
I have previously moved from a KT-333 to the NForce2, and then from an MSI motherboard (NF2) to the Abit (also NF2) successfully.

Back up important files first. I had partitioned so I just moved stuff to D: drive.

Then I removed all the KT-333 drivers from windows hoping I would have fewer conflicts on first boot with the new motherboard.

Then I powered down and removed the board, installed the new one, hooked everything up, put my NF2 driver disk in, and powered up while holding my breath.

Windows (XP home) detected new hardware, went through the process, and it all worked just fine.

Not the best way to do it, but I hate reinstalling everything lol

X child
04-25-2005, 04:58 AM
Reinstalling is a pain but it does clean up and make your system run a little better after a fresh install. Plus it gets rid of all those cookies and spyware that's hanging around and slowing you down. I reinstall about once a year just to keep everything running smooth.

Bum
04-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Related question here:

Is there a difference between XP Home and XP Pro in regard to its detection of installed components? I tried to install a new motherboard/processor in a computer and XP Pro flat out refused to continue after noting the difference. I'm pretty sure that the registration process identifies the system components at registration time. Does this mean that if my motherboard or CPU get fried, I'll have to get a whole new XP disk?

Malatory
04-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Related question here:

Is there a difference between XP Home and XP Pro in regard to its detection of installed components? I tried to install a new motherboard/processor in a computer and XP Pro flat out refused to continue after noting the difference. I'm pretty sure that the registration process identifies the system components at registration time. Does this mean that if my motherboard or CPU get fried, I'll have to get a whole new XP disk?

This is the issue with XP reg Code and how it handles it.

Each Item is a computer is rated at a number and when you change around 19-21 points. You need to call MS and let them know what is going on so they can activate that machine. (You then have to do it for each re-isntall on that machine.) They can also at this point deny the activation and require you to get a new cd & key or at least a new license (Feed MS more money).

HOME and PRO handle it the same way. It just depends on how often you upgrade parts, and Mobo's will take most of the points.

also everytime you change mobo's it is good to do a clean install on a fresh HD. That way you dont get driver curption and other strange problems.

Frakk
04-25-2005, 02:54 PM
xp pro might have some security features but i dont think it should be a problem. if you just swap the mobo it should recognize the new components like ata, sata, pci, usb controllers. and you dont need to get a whole new win cd, once you buy the license you are free to use it on your new components as well.

Bum
04-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks Malatory....exactly the useful sort of info I needed.

public_eyesore
04-26-2005, 03:30 PM
i bought this at frys as the display, since the model was discontinued. It didn't come with a code or anything, just the tower, but the guy did say there was a partiotion with a backup in case my pc crashed, and i should burn the files to cd. What is this?

The Grendel
04-29-2005, 12:45 PM
i bought this at frys as the display, since the model was discontinued. It didn't come with a code or anything, just the tower, but the guy did say there was a partiotion with a backup in case my pc crashed, and i should burn the files to cd. What is this?

Are you saying that you bought a PC with winxp on it that didn't come with a win cd?
Buddy, you just got ripped, your PC probably has a pirated copy of windows.
The store isn't allowed to sell a computer with WinXP unless they leave the CD and CD-Key with the system.

-Grendel

public_eyesore
05-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Are you saying that you bought a PC with winxp on it that didn't come with a win cd?
Buddy, you just got ripped, your PC probably has a pirated copy of windows.
The store isn't allowed to sell a computer with WinXP unless they leave the CD and CD-Key with the system.

-Grendel

It was the display and the sales guy said they had lost the cd so he gave me an extra 50 dollars off.

Frakk
05-02-2005, 05:22 PM
now you buy the xp cd for $100 if you dont want a pirated version :D

MrSlacker
05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
call up Frys and tell them what happened, may be they can help you out