PDA

View Full Version : Whats running under your hood?

MitaPi
08-28-2006, 01:46 AM
What OS do you run? And how do you like it and/or compared to others??

Indybird
08-28-2006, 02:06 AM
I run Windows XP MCE, and lemme tell you the truth: I don't have any problems with drivers, like ever says. It's my favorite OS, until Vista comes out :D.

Speaking of:
I've actually used Vista a little. I beta-tested it for about a month: I'm never Beta-Testing an OS on my main computer ever again. Vista had cool features but TERRIBLE:mad: driver support. I actually ran DX10 on my old 9600XT, and now I see why they don't recommend it...:rolleyes:

Oh, and the only reason I reply to your posts first is mere coincidence and the fact that I'm on half the day...

Slug Toy
08-28-2006, 02:26 AM
im running windows xp pro with sp2 installed. no complaints from me either. everything works like its supposed to. the styling of the interface isnt quite what i like, but if it WERE what i like, id probably have to spend about a month learning it over again. i like very clean and minimal visuals and slick options and everything should ideally serve a purpose. i think everyone knows that windows isnt the OS for this... but i dont know if i want to migrate over to linux yet. vista will decide that for me.

im always open to suggestions though. if someone can show me a really awesome linux version that i like... i can be swayed.

GT40_GearHead
08-28-2006, 06:17 AM
windows xp pro with sp2 here!!

its instaled like, 6 months ago... no problems, a big contribution to this is NOD32

dont know if i could migrate to linux, i'm to damn inert

sirkillalot617
08-28-2006, 08:24 AM
window vista beta 2

and on my second hardrive windows xp home sp2 with vista transformation pack

.Maleficus.
08-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Right now, on my Celeron 733mhz, Windows ME. I know what you're thinking, it's one beast of a machine. But once my computer is built, I'll be dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu.

Airbozo
08-28-2006, 11:25 AM
My gaming system is running windows XP with SP2. My _main_ system at home (the one I use for browsing, mail, and any app that needs security) is an sgi O2 running IRIX 6.5.27. Also have another system running gentoo linux (not for the faint of heart) that I use for writing perl scripts and such (not used much anymore).

My main workstation at work is running RedHat EL (as well as the 4x1u cluster next to it). and the system I use at work for email and other work related stuff is also running WinXP SP2.

BTW: anyone interested in seeing the insides of some of the high end systems I work on? I am getting ready to ship an sgi origin3800 I could take some snaps of...

Razors Edge
08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
XP PRO Service Pack 2. I will be recieving MCE soon, but i'm good for now. I don't want to go on any betas becuase vista will be laucnehd pretty soon.

chedabob
08-28-2006, 12:49 PM
i run Windows XP Sp2, but i was happy with ubuntu, until i realised that id be learning c# at college, and the compiler they give me is for winblows.

im trying to port ubuntu to xbox, but not much luck so far.

Razors Edge
08-28-2006, 12:57 PM
try the mechassualt and gameshark cheat, where you get linux on it, exept replace linux with ubuntu, im sure it should work.

Indybird
08-28-2006, 01:42 PM
window vista beta 2

and on my second hardrive windows xp home sp2 with vista transformation pack
Woah, you didn't have any driver problems or bugs? :eek:
Maybe my other computer sucked that much... :(

Exley
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
WinXP Pro Sp2. It works and i am good with it. though i did dual boot with linux before and know my way around it.

chedabob
08-28-2006, 03:08 PM
try the mechassualt and gameshark cheat, where you get linux on it, exept replace linux with ubuntu, im sure it should work.

tis not that simple. you have to patch the ubuntu kernel, then recompile it. then provide the appropriate drivers and an init.d

ive got a softmod installed. it just a matter of compiling ubuntu then using an existing linux loader to boot up. i think ive found the source code, so ill have a go tomorrow. need to get ubuntu set up in vmware.

sirkillalot617
08-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Woah, you didn't have any driver problems or bugs?
Maybe my other computer sucked that much...

nope installed perfectly did have some trouble with it as my pc wouldnt detect the disk but a quick swap between it and an old xp disk did the trick

.Maleficus.
08-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh, didn't see the request on how other OSs compared in your first post MitaPi. Well, ME and XP are Windows. Everyone should know what that's like. Ubuntu on the other hand, has some great features, but can be very difficult at times. Like getting wireless internet to work. I tired for like a month to get it to work, and right as I made some progress, my computer died. :(. But I still really like it, and if you haven't tried it, I would try the LiveCD. See all the cool things it has.

progbuddy
08-28-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm running XP with SP 2 but I've added on a bit with a couple progs i found at www.download.com. One was Bootskin, and the other was DesktopX, giving you the ability to customize your desktop. I like it.

progbuddy
08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
nope installed perfectly did have some trouble with it as my pc wouldnt detect the disk but a quick swap between it and an old xp disk did the trick

Did you have it set to the right jumper setting?

simon275
08-29-2006, 04:29 AM
The bastard offspring of XP Home SP2 considering the amount I have screwed arround with it.

Custom windows loading screen. 8)

sirkillalot617
08-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Did you have it set to the right jumper setting?

not at first but i got one of my mums friends an IT technichian to help me

CanaBalistic
08-31-2006, 12:15 AM
I got dual boot with Vista B2 & WinXp SP2 with the coolest WindowBlinds theme i could find.

Vista is a trip...

Lots of cool things in it.

The Black Pumpkin
08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
XP Pro SP2 on all three comps. :D

progbuddy
08-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey sirkillalot, did u get it? Its pretty easy. All you have to do is follow the directions on the top case of the harddrive and switch the little pins between the Molex and the IDE port

EPYK
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
two xp sp2, i run alot of custom themes though, had a suse linux box, and i ran an old red hat for 2 days

M!ST!CX
09-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Windows XP PRo SP2 with latest Auto Pacher
everything work great,but my computer is not so fast as it was with XP Pro x64 edition :( (i'v instaled x86 win beacause i have some problems with x64 edition and BSODs):mad:

chedabob
09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Rockin Out Vista!!!

http://www.nophus.com/useru/users/chedabob/vista1.jpg (http://www.nophus.com/useru/users/chedabob/vista.jpg)

Chel
09-11-2006, 04:27 PM
XP Pro SP2 on 3 machines.

paranoid_insaniac
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Running Win XP SP2 Here looking for a vista conversion pack to make it look like vista as my gfx card cant handle the aeroglass effect. damn v 1.1 shaders.... :'(

silverdemon
09-14-2006, 04:40 PM
windows XP pro with SP2 on my main laptop

windows server 2003 on my fileserver (project red dragon, somewhere on this forum in project galleries...)

windows Vista RC1 (build 5536) on my old laptop, just for testing and trying stuff out...

[edit] installed build 5600 of Vista on my old laptop...

Pimptimus_Prime
09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I rock the Oldy-but-Goldy Windows 2000 Professional. It's like the Volvo of Operating Sytems. It might not the be the fastest, the flashiest, or the most powerful, but it is hard to break and easy to fix(For me at least. Individual results may vary.). I haven't run into any problem I couldn't solve yet, and I can run all my old games that I enjoy immensely. Oh, and I haven't run into any new games that it won't run. I just have never been able to "get the feel" for Windows XP, even though I know that they are incredibly alike. I don't have anything against Xp, (Which is a good OS, I admit.) but it's just not for me. :-)

Mountain Dew
09-22-2006, 07:03 PM
XP pro (latest version)
Windows Server 2000
Xp Home (latest version)
suse linux

are what i have running on 4 computers
the other two im moding and dont know what im putting on yet