PDA

View Full Version : ATI x800xl AGP flash bios

jordanrctm
08-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, I am looking for advice as to flashing my ati card bios. I have removed the stock cooling fan/heatsink and inspected my gpu and the chip states that it is an X800XT pro PCI-E chip.The card is an 8x AGP. The Memory is 256 GDDR3. I would like to flash it with the x800xt bios, but want to know if this will damage the card. The clock settings on the xl card are 400/490 and the xt card settings are 500/500. I have tried to overclock the xl card using ATITOOL and got about 417 on the gpu and 525 on the memory with out artifacts. I may need to install water cooling on this card to do this, as the factory heatsink is not enough. I am thinking of using the new Thermaltake silent gpu solution as my CPU cooler is of the same brand and allows some pretty good overclocks. I donot want to keep my stuff overclocked just use it to get the extra performance when I need it. Thanks for your info in advance. RJ

Indybird
08-28-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't know much about flashing a graphics card Bios but I do know what kind of cooling you should use. You are definitely going to need new cooling if you're overclocking it past ATI's recommended O.C speed. I'm assuming when you say Thermaltake silent GPU solution you mean the Thermaltake Tidewater. I was thinking about getting that, but then I found out it takes up two PCI slots... Since I'm going to have dual GPUs and some expansion cards that wouldn't work. However its cools extremely well. If you don't get that I'd get the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 which will be enough cooling for an overclocked X800XT. Sorry I couldn't help you with the Bios problem, but I hope that helps with your cooling :)

monoflap
08-28-2006, 02:04 PM
You could kill the card if you aren't carefull. And The only thing flashing the bios would do that you couldn't do with ATITOOL is unlock disabled piplines and shader units. I would be very carefull or have money on hand.

jordanrctm
08-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info, I will probably just water cool it ( yes the thermaltake tidewater is on the way) and see what the atitool does for me. I have only had the card for about 2 months and havent found any thing it wont do well, it isnt worth frying the card over. Thanks for all your info.

dgrmkrp
08-28-2006, 02:31 PM
did you try googleing the name/brand/model of the card and see if there is anything oc related.. and just what the difference between your model and what u want it to become are.. oh, and both for you and indybird.. we are modders: the tide water comes in sli flavor too and you can just mount it on the side of the case, with the fan sucking air from the outside.. perfect cooling :) and it wacks it out when done with it.. of course, this will hide the pci area.. but you can use the tide water and the plettora of pcis too :)

Indybird
08-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I've thought about other ways to mount the tidewater and I didn't like mounting it on the window because its so big...you'd lose half your window. That's why I wish Sapphire sold their Toxic Watercooler separately, it only takes up one PCI slot, has blue LED's and just looks a hell-of-alot better. It is (in fact) a smaller, nice looking, modified Thermaltake Tidewater...

edit: maybe I exaggerated that, but it would look ugly as hell...

dgrmkrp
08-28-2006, 03:55 PM
yes, it's true.. it is quite big and Tt didn't make that nice looking.. it works.. good enough for me.. to tell u the truth, i would install it because i don't want to cut a rectangle .. i'd rather have something to force me into making a complex shape.. as my budget goes, i would be happy to have an ugly thing like that ;) still... if u were to replace the tubes... u coulkd mount it somewhere.. don't know where exactly, but there is lots of unused room in a case :)

simon275
08-29-2006, 04:31 AM
You could kill the card if you aren't carefull. And The only thing flashing the bios would do that you couldn't do with ATITOOL is unlock disabled piplines and shader units. I would be very carefull or have money on hand.

You can unlock pipelines with riva tuner. ;)

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/