PDA

View Full Version : Painting The Inside of my case! Help!

AMDSempron
04-24-2005, 11:46 PM
8) Ok, now for the big time moding! Im gonna paint the inside of my case!!

But before I go screwing something up, I need advice! I know there is a post on this blow me, but it didnt answer my questions, and I did not want to all bardge in his little world! So questions:

What kind of paint??
What are the steps? (sanding? do i need primer?)
how long should i let it sit beforei strap my equipment back in?

Thanks for the help!

Guttenaffe
04-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Let it sit till in a warm dry place till it no longer remotely smells like paint. Normally about two days, this all depends on the paint.

You don't recall need to be "extra" careful when painting inside your case, just follow what was said below and you can use almost any kind of paint that will stick to metal.

Fusion paint works on metal well, as to the primer it is only needed if you want to use a paint that is known to not bond to bare metal properly. Read the back of your spray cans, they will tell you if you need primer or not.

It is recommend to use primer of the same brand as the paint you use. Or you can also test the primer on a scrap piece of something anther before hand and let it for about 4 days to see if any bubbles will appear, from a reaction with each other. Should also test your clear coat, lacquers and alcohol paints do not mix well.

AMDSempron
04-25-2005, 12:03 AM
OK, so should I are should I not use primer if I were to use Fusion paint?

AMDSempron
04-25-2005, 12:04 AM
O yea, and can I get that at my local hardware store?

Malatory
04-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Fuson is in most stores (Ace, Wal-Mart).
If you have bar metal it is always good to use primer 1st. Even if the paint says it will stick, its good common sense.

AMDSempron
04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
should I sand it before I prime it?

AMDSempron
04-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Are do I even need to sand it?

Guttenaffe
04-28-2005, 03:03 AM
Krylon Fusion, you don't need to sand or prime to stick to most metal or plastics. Test it on a scrap piece or something that is removable from your case. That way if the paint doesn’t work right you can strip it with ZipStrip (best I've found) and then do what might be needed. After you paint the test piece try to scratch the paint off in an inconspicuous area.

If you think the paint comes off to easy then strip that Fusion paint off, sand the metal with 220 grit sand paper and spray auto-body primer on the metal. Sand it smooth with some 400 grit and put on some auto-body lacquer paint. Then a light clear coat since this is the inside of your case and people won’t see it REAL close, at least not as close as the outside.

Most of painting is a case-by-case basis; there are just general rules and concepts that need to be followed. The rest is relied upon the painters past experience.

STARFOXtjb
05-03-2005, 09:42 AM
easy way to paint the inside of a case is to de rivit the case structure paint it let it dry and re rivit it back togather
if you use a drill you can remove the core of the rivit where it binds the two plates or sections togather than just get you a box of rivits and a rivit puller and put it back togather and if you are good with metal that would be a good time to think of ways to make the case more sturdy

also a good time to fabricate wire management stuff and set it up and if your planning to put on loght up case feet good to put them on when you have the case tore down