PDA

View Full Version : lcd in drive bay

NamesAreUseless
08-28-2006, 02:00 PM
how would one make a 5 inch lcd motorized to slide and pop out of a drive bay? :? :?

Razors Edge
08-28-2006, 02:02 PM
By simply buying one for the car. Kenwood makes alot of them, designed for cars, but a little bit of wire work and soldiering, and it can easily be adjusted for a computer. Just prepare to spend $500+ on one of the kenwoods.

NamesAreUseless
08-28-2006, 02:19 PM
thnx but u sure there isnt anythin cheaper.

dgrmkrp
08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
there is a tutorial online somewhere.. not very thorough tho.. u can mod an lcd screen that takes a composite in (tv-out).. any kind that fits geometrically.. u need some aluminum or steel sheet.. some tools (dremel, drill, something to bend to).. a motor or two.. i recommend something i wanna do myself.. u know the cheap remte control card with wired remotes.. 2~3$ a piece.. take the motor from those crappy things.. wire them to the 5V and u have a motored bay :) this is waaaay cheaper.. and trully modding :) or u can find the car lcd @ secial prices.. i've seen them even at ~150$ at partsexpress.com

Razors Edge
08-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah but he wants one that slides out of only ONE drive bay. Not one that akes up like 2 or 3.

NamesAreUseless
08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
there is on in casemodgod.com but i think it isnt motorized i think you have to pull it out by hand

dgrmkrp
08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
thats what i'm talking about! casemodgod and the nice lian li case.. they mod it till it bled :)
http://www.casemodgod.com/new_page_35.htm
this is a nice mod, but it could use some more motors.. and it could be fitted in only one bay :) just needs a modder's mind and some time :)

NamesAreUseless
08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
where can i get a 6" inch lcd for cheap no ps1 monitors cause if u look at the circuit/mother board of the ps1 lcd it is round and there is no way ill get that through the drive bay so I just need a ordinary 6" monitor

justblair
08-28-2006, 07:21 PM
You can do it with a psone screen. I have seen pictures on Bit tech. You can get hold of extension cables that fit between the screen and the mobo.

The DIY projector companies sell the cable to allow the psone screen to be used in homebrew projectors. The rest is down to mechanics. The cables are pretty cheap. (you can actually an extension yourself)

NamesAreUseless
08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
as I said the ps1 screens circuit board is round and round isnt good for it to go through a drive bay

The Black Pumpkin
08-28-2006, 11:03 PM
What justblair was saying, is that you can put the circuit board inside the case, then use an extension wire to hook it up to the lcd.

justblair
08-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Yep thats right. I probably didn't make that clear enough in my post (it was late). The cable that joins the screen to the round circuit board is a FIC (Fickle Ickle Critter) I have seen someone solder to one, but that looks like a total pain. Especially when the extensions can be had pretty cheaply.

NamesAreUseless
08-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I think if u seperate the circuit board but keep the wires connected the lcd will be very dim cuz u know lcds have a lamp behind it to keep it bright

justblair
08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I think if u seperate the circuit board but keep the wires connected the lcd will be very dim cuz u know lcds have a lamp behind it to keep it bright

Nope, the lamp is part of the lcd unit. Not part of the board.

The board contains only the elctronics for the psone screen. The controller and the inverter. The lamp and LCD are all held in a seperate enclosure.

As I said. Someone has already done this. They put the screen into a cdrom drive, which provided the motorization. I promise you I'm not fibbing here.

Check out the diyprojector sites for the extension cable.

gobygoby
08-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Nope, the lamp is part of the lcd unit. Not part of the board.

The board contains only the elctronics for the psone screen. The controller and the inverter. The lamp and LCD are all held in a seperate enclosure.

As I said. Someone has already done this. They put the screen into a cdrom drive, which provided the motorization. I promise you I'm not fibbing here.

Check out the diyprojector sites for the extension cable.

Yup, I have seen that one too! I am going to do the PSOne LCD mod, but not in a motorized tray.

PS. do a google search and use "psone lcd" there is tons of stuff for that mod

justblair
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
The psone cd in a drive (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=62951&page=47&pp=20)

Found it, I promise I am not being pedantic. i was searching this thread for some info for my own mod...

NamesAreUseless
08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
im looking for something bigger though cuz the ps1 screen can fit upright into three 3.5" drive bays i looking for something big like a 6"
like at casemodgod.com