PDA

View Full Version : PCI Slot "System Blower"

MitaPi
08-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Just a simple question. Would a PCI Slot "System Blower" help cool down my cpu's heatsink?

nil8
08-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Not particularly. They're designed to pull in a little air around themselves. They work moderately at removing some of the heat caused by cards, but other than that are more or less useless.
They can also be rather noisy.

A better fan on the heatsink/a duct from outside would be your best bets on cooling down your processor.

dgrmkrp
08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
i had a blower for a while (titan brand.. sucked).. it was the noisiest fan i had before the Tt V12.. it made funny vibrations, kept my warm video board cool and when i mounted it to blow hot air from the top of the video board, i didn't see any improvement in case air temps.. the thing is too weak.. if u really want to use a blower(but i thought u planned on watercooling..) the only way it could cool your heatsink is if u use it on the heatsink, not around it..

i totally agree with nil8.. especially on the better heatsink part.. still, blowers are noisier at the same rpm as a normal fan.. most of them, at least..

to stay in the spirit of modding, i was thinking of modding a silencer senior model to work on a cpu (celeron or duron, older generation)... but to hell with it.. i wont sacrifice efficiency when doing real work.. but for playing..

CanaBalistic
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
I have an Antec PCI Blower. It works pretty good. It pulls air in from outside the back of the case and blows it on my GPU. Its not very noisy at all.

MitaPi
09-01-2006, 12:55 AM
(but i thought u planned on watercooling..)

I am, on my lexa rig. This one is a mini project that I will eventually sell to one of my friends. It's the computer that I am using right now. When I switch it over to the X-Dreamer II it might not have enough cooling on the heatsink because dell has this big ugly green duct that I am not going to switch over to the X-Dreamer II. I was originally going to make this my Lexa Rig but there isnt really anything worth swapping over other than my DVD drive. It wouldnt compliment the brilliance of the lexa very well at all. So I decided to build a computer around the lexa instead of putting crap inside of it. ^_^

simon275
09-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Some suck heh in a bad way while some work well. Go for an antec one. Oh and it would add to the overall air in the case but unless you have a PCI slot as your top slot on your board it wont help as the graphics card is in the way.