PDA

View Full Version : privacy glass window

NamesAreUseless
08-31-2006, 11:31 AM
How cool would it be if i put privacy glass as my window like if the switch is off the glass is frosted but when u turn it on u ould see right through it. :eek:

Cannibal23
08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
that would be pretty neat, but i dont see how you would get it to do that.

NamesAreUseless
08-31-2006, 02:25 PM
U Could Get It Specialy Made For A Lot Of Money But I Dont Care If I Have To Spend Alot Just Search Privacy Glass And U Will See How It Does It

tybrenis
08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
U Could Get It Specialy Made For A Lot Of Money But I Dont Care If I Have To Spend Alot Just Search Privacy Glass And U Will See How It Does It

Yes You Could Do That And That Would Be A Pretty Neat Idea I Think It Would Be Cool To See Done Maybe You Can Buy Some Of That Stuff And Cut It To Shape And Let Us Know How It Goes.

Just messing with you. That'd be a pretty neat idea.

NamesAreUseless
08-31-2006, 04:00 PM
You cant really cut it since its glass so I have to order it with all the dimensions and stuff

progbuddy
08-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I have an idea. Just take a plate of frosted glass attached to a small electric motor and place it in front of the LED.

NamesAreUseless
08-31-2006, 04:49 PM
what???

tybrenis
08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
what???

I second that "what???"

NamesAreUseless
08-31-2006, 05:09 PM
You gotta try to make more sense.

progbuddy
08-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Ok. Make it so that when you push the button, a motor turns a piece of frosted glass in front of the LED.

progbuddy
08-31-2006, 05:13 PM
My bad (lol). I thought u were talking about the Power light. I know. I had a stupid moment there.

NamesAreUseless
08-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Hmm...You might have a point there... a point that you still dont make sense.

EPYK
08-31-2006, 07:01 PM
here you go dude a company that specializes in it... if your nice and ask properly they might even let you sample a square foot piece

progbuddy
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
OK... Now that I have the point in my head, I got an idea. Use polarized lenses. Make sort of a shutter setup to where it opens like blinds, but with a motor. I know I'm not making any sense. But theres no way else to put it.

DaveW
08-31-2006, 08:15 PM
This is a recurring theory. I don't think anyone's ever done it properly.

Electrochromatic Plexi is highly expensive, so that's out the window. As for one way glass, it might be possible to get some-it might even be possible to cut it with a dremel. I think you can get a window covering that does something like this.

As an interesting side note, at TGI Fridays we have special advertisements for the windows. On the inside, they're transparent, and you can see the street. On the outside, they advertise the menu. I've had a look at them, and they just seem to be some sort of clever mesh, but that could be interesting in a mod.

-Dave

tybrenis
09-01-2006, 12:08 AM
This is a recurring theory. I don't think anyone's ever done it properly.

Electrochromatic Plexi is highly expensive, so that's out the window. As for one way glass, it might be possible to get some-it might even be possible to cut it with a dremel. I think you can get a window covering that does something like this.

As an interesting side note, at TGI Fridays we have special advertisements for the windows. On the inside, they're transparent, and you can see the street. On the outside, they advertise the menu. I've had a look at them, and they just seem to be some sort of clever mesh, but that could be interesting in a mod.

-Dave

One way mirrored acrylic is pretty cheap at US Plastic.

MitaPi
09-01-2006, 01:19 AM
There is a mod designed around Hellraiser. Its the puzzle box with pin head's head inside of it. Its black untill you turn on the lights. Then you can see into it. Its very cool. I think I saw it on corsair.com or something. I actually posted on the product he used. But I dont think anyone knows what it is. I think its called sun block film? or something like that.

Intrance
09-01-2006, 10:04 AM
There is a mod designed around Hellraiser. Its the puzzle box with pin head's head inside of it.

The Hellraiser design has the puzzle box inside with some very clever mirror arrangements (it is fantastic). clicky (http://www.casemodgod.com/pl2_-_hell's_illusion.htm)

The effect that ARTbyTROY generates with his mirror setup is a cube wihtin a cube but with only half actually there (follow that if you can!!) But I think that you can still see into the box when there are no lights inside

I was thinking about this and the way forward would be to have a 'non-backed' piece of mirror glass (ie two way mirror), mirror side facing out. When the inside of the computer is dark (ie off) then the mirror works and you cant see in but when the computer is on and the internal lights are on the mirror lets the light out (ie you can see in). The only problem with this is the light coming out is severely reduced by the mirror (almost like looking through shades) and internal lighting would have to be strong to illuminate the internal workings enough.

This would be far cheaper and easier to obtain than a electric current reactive material.

NamesAreUseless
09-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Privacy Glass is a tipe of lcd display. Just search privacy glass and you will find out how it work Just look and stop suggesting stuff that IM not talking about. It isnt plexi its actual glass so i have to get it cut to size.

tybrenis
09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Just look and stop suggesting stuff that IM not talking about.

Hey buddy,

Calm down mate. That's what these forums are all about, slinging around ideas and helping each other out. When you mentioned that, we let you know that it was very expensive and honestly not very practical in a computer, so other people were just giving you their ideas and opinions. You can take them or leave them, but don't get angry when people offer up alternatives.