PDA

View Full Version : Very paranoid...is it just me?

Logic Zero
08-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey guys,

Ever since i got my grubby hands on SensorsView Pro i have been worrying about cpu temps. I have an Intel D 2.8ghz and im very paranoid about how hot it is running. I swapped over heatsinks lately as i noted that it was running 58/60 when finishing a gaming session (thats pretty damn high i though) so i swapped over to a golden orb II. Idles at 44/45c and after games about 53/54c. I was hoping for more cooling capacity than that considering the size difference and quality!

Have i put it in wrong? Are these the minimal gains most heatsinks give you?

I have also been playing around with fans, i have 2 antec 92mm smart fans in my case, one on the side at the front as an inlet, and one at the rear of the case as an exhaust, the golden orb sits quite near the exhuast fan, could this be the reason?

Which fans should be inlet/outlet, ideal positions etc.

Please try and reassure me as this is really starting to play on my mind and i cant get anything done without checking temps every 2 minutes!!!

.Maleficus.
08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Are you using high quality thermal compound? If not, Arctic Silver 5 is the way to go.

Is it on tight enough?

Are you in a hot room? If you are, then you won't get any lower than the room temp. Which might be the problem.

Also, what's SensorsView Pro? Temp. monitor? Is it free?

Logic Zero
08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi

Nope im in a cool room.

Using the thermal paste that came with the heatsink

Yep its on plenty tight.

Yeh its freeware program.

The temps are definately an issue right? So its not just me....

Silenced_Coyote
08-31-2006, 11:42 PM
I think I while back I was helping someone to decide between the golden orb and the blue orb. I am pretty sure that the reviews showed the the golden orb is ok. So I guess the answer is "yes" to what most minimal heatsink gains offer. But that doesn't mean you should settle for sub par cooling. You should really look into the Zalman CNPS9500 or a Thermalright Ultra-120 (pair it with a good fan since the fan isn't included).

Indybird
09-01-2006, 12:48 AM
53/54c isn't bad for just finishing a game session, at least I wouldn't worry about it.

Logic Zero
09-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh god just came off playing DoD:Source and it was at 64c!

Talked to my friend who does IT for a living and he said not to worry about it :?

What do i do:redface:

The temps inside the case are at a steady 27c all the time, so its definately the heatsink. Is there anything i can do to improve the effeciency of it? I am sure i put it on correctly, thin/even layer of paste etc.

From the reviews of the golden orb it seems as though it is capable of cooling cpu's well but mine just seems to be a bit of a nightmare!

My old heatsink used to run at 54 at idle, hence the reason i bought this heatsink (now running at 44-46 at idle), so i cant bear to imagine the temps it was hitting whilst gaming before:eek:

Logic Zero
09-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Temps whilst Norton was scanning!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/1016/ss1zj3.jpg

Logic Zero
09-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Just got a reply from another forum :D

"Don't worry about it.
Its a prescott right? Waste of time spending money on exotic cooling solutions, as long as its not throttling its fine. You will have a devil of a job getting the thing down to sane temperatures and theres really no point."

Slug Toy
09-01-2006, 04:50 PM
i have a prescott too, and ive never had any problems with heat. under load, i doubt mine goes past 45 degrees. its the stock heatsink too.

Logic Zero
09-01-2006, 06:02 PM
dont worry, my single core prescott often hit 72C and didnt throttle yet, nvm a dual core, 64C is about the correct temp. for a dual core pentium, just make sure it doesnt rise much more...

I'm feeling a lot better now :D Thanks for the help guys.