PDA

View Full Version : Painting and finishing

Aristo
04-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Ok guys here goes. I've been working with a few scrap pieces and talking with a friend of mine about finishing my paint projects for mods.

My question is this. What is rubbing compound? How is it used? and Will it help me get that bubbly look out of my paint so it looks like a mirror.

The only thing I can think of is some combination with wet sanding like autobody guys do, but even that I've never done or know where to start...

Any ideas?

Frakk
04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
after about, hmm.... 15 seconds of research on google i found a detailed guide on painting and high gloss finish. i'll be a jerk and wont give you the link:D
hint: a canadian moding site ;)

gotta start learning how to solve problems like this people :D

Whisp
04-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Rubbing compound from what i understand is like a really high grit polish soultion that smoothes and brings shinyness to the clearcoat of a paint job. It is suggested not to be used until after a month of the paint job being cured.

As for bubbles you need to sand them out between layers.

As for wet sanding it is done between layers of paint coats and clear coats.

use 1500 grit and higher of wet/dry sandpaper

Bum
04-26-2005, 01:15 AM
You are on the right track with autobody prep/painting techniques. The paint you'll use is different but the basic process is the same. Prime->sand: Paint->sand: Clearcoat->sand->compund->glaze. The more patient you are with the process, the better your results will be.

Like Frakk said, a search on paint technique should get you a detailed how-to with pictures and everything in no time.

Aristo
04-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the information. And keeping inline with being a jerk ;) I felt it better to ask here first to promote the growth of a wonderful community. Had all the other people who have used this site gone to Google, there would be far less on this site and even less motivation behind it's purpose.

So do yourself a favor and don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. :D

Frakk
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
gift-horse? where? mine likes cube-sugar :D i think that expression is used in some other situations :D Aristo I agree with you about the promotion of growth, however as it has been discussed in other threads (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377&highlight=newb), "help yourself and others will help you too". ;)

Whisp
04-26-2005, 08:33 PM
I dindt get a gift.

Ill take a muffin though. And I know paul wants likes oatmean cookies.

got to be careful though because horses like oats

hahah

ok maybe thatw snt funny

Aristo
05-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Ok, so back to the paint... One other question... I just finished work on my (dead) ms mouse as a test project to do some fading/blending and I think it came out pretty good for my first attempt and with rattle cans at that. :) I'll have a pic soon... But how do I make the damn thing not so tacky when I'm goofing off with it??? Is there something I can add/paint on the mouse or can I bake it or what?

Bum
05-02-2005, 09:35 AM
What kind of spray paint are you using? Did you clear coat it? How long has it cured? When you ask these sorts of questions, it makes it much easier to give you a good answer if you provide as much info as possible first.

In general, it'll take a week to a month or so to cure out although it will be "dry" within a day or so. Curing is where the sovents that kept the paint liquid come out of the paint and it forms internal bonds called cross-linking. 90% will come out within the first day and it will seem "dry" but until it fully cures, it will have that tacky feel to it. Also, the more coats you put on, the longer the cure will take since the solvents have to get to the surface to escape.

Aristo
05-02-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm using krylon paint in rattle cans, I did 2-3 primer coats, flat black (had to do some platic filling and repair), then added 1 coat of gloss black fusion, then I did a fade with dark blue in the middle and light blue towards the front. 2 clear coats. I think it looks fantastic for my first paint job, but it's just kind of tacky feeling.

I'll let it cure for a week or so and see how it does. I don't plan on using the mouse anytime soon, but my older brother is begging me for it :) (computer newbie :D )

Would you suggest I slap together a makeshift oven from a shoe box and aluminum foil and leave it on the back deck? or just let it sit on the shelf somewhere out of the cats reach?

Bum
05-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Definitely out of the cat's reach. It would suck to have claw marks in all that work. I'd just leave it to cure out in a place it won't be disturbed. Maybe where your brother won't find it either.

Whisp
05-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah look what happens when a cat get's it.

http://www.whisptech.com/images/mods/chenbropainted/newfeetdone.jpg

Damn cats

Aristo
05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Heheh... I bet you can't say meow 10 times ;) (super troopers ;) )