PDA

View Full Version : Dante's Inferno: Modders State of the Union Address

Dante
04-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Modder's State of the Union Address

"As the Internet continues to grow and expand, many enthusiast communities are being formed daily within its somewhat tangled web. You have everything from Star Wars Communities to extreme biking groups...all the way down to our very own modding community."

If you haven't already read the editorial: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/index.php?module=article&view=85

Now Discuss.

Frakk
04-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree with you, especially on the gamers part. i hate those snobs, all they do is brag about how good they are and most of them are just f'in noobs. neways im happy to be here :D

The_Wippuh
04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Seriously, I can't wait till the day I get the chance to meet this Dante hoser and beat him down severly.

Dante
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Seriously, I can't wait till the day I get the chance to meet this Dante hoser and beat him down severly.

All your base are belong to me wipplizabeth!.................Stabled.

That is all.

DickNervous
04-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Okay, I like what you said and agree with most of it. The only thing I have a problem with is the massive generalization and sterotyping of gamers. I am a gamer. Hobbes is a gamer. Gruntman is a gamer. Bellerophon is a gamer. As a matter of fact, over at GruntvillE a large number of the core people in that community are gamers. Yet, we are modders too.

So are we all self centered egotistical lunatics or helpful freindly modders?

Dante
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Okay, I like what you said and agree with most of it. The only thing I have a problem with is the massive generalization and sterotyping of gamers. I am a gamer. Hobbes is a gamer. Gruntman is a gamer. Bellerophon is a gamer. As a matter of fact, over at GruntvillE a large number of the core people in that community are gamers. Yet, we are modders too.

So are we all self centered egotistical lunatics or helpful freindly modders?

I am a gamer too. And having just finished long run of playing in CAL and TWL for the last three and a half years. My outlook on gamers comes from a competitive standpoint. Most gaming communities are huge flame wars and nothing more. There is no unity at all. My comment does not include the casual gamer. If my comment has offended anyone........TOO BAD! :eek: :eek:

And YES......you, Gruntman, Hobbes, and Bellerophon are a bunch of poopy heads...so ha! :D

DickNervous
04-27-2005, 12:03 AM
LOL!

I agree, most competitive gamers are buttheads. But there are plenty of us out there who aren't.

Besides, I just had to bust your chops.

Zeus
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
I know this is an old thread. But I figured if I posted here, maybe more chatter could be generated.

Dante, I have a comment in reference to was DN has posted. I think what you are trying to say is not so much that gamers are a$$es by definition. Merely that gamer forums and communities are run that way. I personally know many gamers, both casual and aggressive. I can definitely say that the more aggressive gamers are highly competitive, but that doesn't mean they are any less willing to help you out if you ask them.(unless you are asking them to help you beat their high score) They just seem to have a far shorter timeframe in which they consider you worthy of help vs. a potential threat to their reign.

Dante
06-06-2005, 12:35 AM
I know this is an old thread. But I figured if I posted here, maybe more chatter could be generated.

Dante, I have a comment in reference to was DN has posted. I think what you are trying to say is not so much that gamers are a$$es by definition. Merely that gamer forums and communities are run that way. I personally know many gamers, both casual and aggressive. I can definitely say that the more aggressive gamers are highly competitive, but that doesn't mean they are any less willing to help you out if you ask them.(unless you are asking them to help you beat their high score) They just seem to have a far shorter timeframe in which they consider you worthy of help vs. a potential threat to their reign.
I too am a gamer at a very competitive level. My comments were based on my experiences as a gamer and as a modder. I was just making reference to my feelings of the modding community being a more tight knit group than gamers are as a whole. There was no insult intended towards gamers at all. Otherwise I would be insulting myself. I just feel that the modding community is alot more likely to embrace newer modders where the gaming community is more based on talking smack to n00bs. So you are right, my comments are based more on the communities rather than the individual gamers themselves.

Xato
06-06-2005, 02:51 AM
I know a few friends who are 'competitive gamers' (the types that call people noobs and say they are greater than everything else) and they are generally just pot smoking CS players. And neither of those are communities i want to be involved in...

ZeD
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Maybe its because Gamers have a competative mentality, while modders have a creative one, who enjoy making something from nothing while gamers enjoy destroying something into nothing (with big plasma cannons)

temmink
06-06-2005, 11:10 AM
lol nub wtf /me roxxors y411 so><><0rs daw9
Frankly, 90% of the people who frequent gaming forums are about 13 (at least mentally if not physically, definiately grammatically), and it shows.

NB if you are looking for l337_G4mA's post in this thread but can't find it, theres a good reason, it's not here because this isn't a gaming forum (thank god) but I'm sure you can find it or something just like without much effort on the mighty interweb.

Zeus
06-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe its because Gamers have a competative mentality, while modders have a creative one, who enjoy making something from nothing while gamers enjoy destroying something into nothing (with big plasma cannons)

You've probably hit the nail on the head here. competition does breed adversity. But from what I have seen, it is more apparent in community forums as they are not just trying to be the best, but also demoralize others to trick them into not challenging them. One on one, there is a great percentage of them who are OK. That is why I say gamers are not all a$$es. Just the forums are. :-)

Modders are also very creative oriented. They are more interested in the art for the sake of the art. Not art for the sake of "my rig is better than yours".

Of course I am no psych(ologist/iatrist) so this is just my opinion. Y'all are welcome to disagree if you want :rolleyes: :D