PDA

View Full Version : Dremel tool or jigsaw.

simon275
09-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Ok guys for my up and comming mod which starts when the parts arrive from the US .

I need to cut through a section of my antec super lan boy behind the front fan there is a metal plate with a bunch of holes in it to allow for air flow. Which would be the best tool to use to cut through it with ease a Dremel or a Jigsaw. I don't want to spend to much. I'm thinking Dremel as its so versatile can be used for other things. But I want to hear what you lot think.

tybrenis
09-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Most modders would use a dremel, but honestly, for these purposes, I would actually use a jigsaw. Its a whole lot easier and faster, and it won't waste your cut-off disks. If you can easily get off the panel that needs cut and get a jigsaw on that thing, I say use a jigsaw with a metal blade.

Then you can grind down the edges with your dremel, finally ending with a handfile.

DaveW
09-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Good advice from Tybrenis. I'd agree 100%.

-Dave

Cevinzol
09-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Both.
Ok that's kind of a cop-out answer but here's my reasoning. A dremil is more usefull (over all) for case modding but a jig saw does a better job of cutting tight , detailed curves.

While you're waiting for the parts to arrive, search the thrift stores and garage sales you might be able to get both used for the price of one, new. Oh and look for "rotary tools" (remember Dremel is just a brand name)

simon275
09-02-2006, 11:56 PM
yeah I know I just call it a dremel. I'm gonna get a "rotary tool" I reckon. Thanks for the help guys.

The parts form the US should be hear sometime in this coming week.