PDA

View Full Version : Project Trivium

progbuddy
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I can't find my camera, so envision it. lol:D . I just started painting the case a deep red, and it turned out better than I thought. I used gray primer and a small belt sander. I looked on www.tigerdirect.com and found some neat cold cathode kits for a dollar each, so I'm probably gonna get 2 or 3. Also, I'm gonna get a couple aluminum fans (cooler master, if they make them). I bought some thick plexiglass from Lowe's:) and a couple of things from a PC store. I got an nVidia GeForce 4000 MX (I was gonna get ATI Radeon 9250, but I already have the mobility version in my laptop). I also bought some APC wire straps. I'm hoping the LEDs will get in next week. I'll borrow my friends camera for a few pics8) .

Eod16
09-04-2006, 12:17 AM
cool , i'll be looking forward for your project :)

progbuddy
09-04-2006, 01:41 PM
This is going to be the basic design...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/SilenceMachine.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/SilenceMachine2.jpg

SnowFox
09-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Looks nice ! looking forward for some new pics !

progbuddy
09-04-2006, 09:15 PM
:D I just ordered a few parts off of www.tigerdirect.com! I got a UV light kit and a clear fan:D . I can't wait! lol. But the fan is going into the space shown on the side for a specific reason. HDD cooling. I don't know why, but my harddrives get hot very quickly. This fan will eliminate part of the problem. I divided the window on the side into three slots (because I thought it looked cool and because I'm running out of money :p ). Then one of the UV lights will be for the interior (shining up) and one for a glowing pinstripe mod (hopefully) for the front. Here's a few specs...

Memory- 400 Mb samsung Dual Channel DDR
Processor-Intel Celeron D @ 1.8 Ghz
Graphics-Nvidia GeForce 4000 MX @ 270 Mhz and 128 internal RAM
HDDs-1 80 Gb Samsung HDD (8 Mb cache) and 1 Maxtor 80 Gb (i think 8 )
Opticals- 2 CD-RWs for "instant burn"
Other- Belkin Firewire 2.0

Eod16
09-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I Wanna See some pic's !!!!!! :D

progbuddy
09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Here's a couple of the parts I got...
UV light kit (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=86137)
Case Fan (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1020238&CatId=0)
The reason I'm not getting any more parts online is because all of the online stores are in California. I live in NC, so the shipping is rediculous. Example- .97 cent fan light kit = 6.99 shipping for only one, and thats the 3-5 day shipping.

tybrenis
09-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Can't wait to see pics.

progbuddy
09-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I renamed the project, but I'm going to stay on this forum since I typed all of this already (<<lazy)lol. But the new name is going to be project Trivium. I have finished painting the front (trust me it was a pain). The design in the front is the truly unique thing about it. I acidentally messed up on the paintjob (lol thats me...) and I pulled up the red layer of paint, but the primer stayed (whew!). So I just left it like it was and painted over it. I finally figured out that I could turn this into a "torn" design. So I took off the top layer of paint in random places and painted over it... and voila:D! I like the way the front came out. But in the front I am going to do a polyurethane coat for the Trivium logo (saweet!). I painted the button red, and painted the side. I have yet to paint the top and the other side (not the back... who paints the back? lol *everyone raises hand*:? ) but yeah... this is going to be awesome, esp. with the new CC lights and fan (sorry but its not a cooler master :( ).

DaveW
09-06-2006, 04:30 AM
I can re-name the thread. PM me with your new name.

-Dave

progbuddy
09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
yay! lol. its project trivium.

Jarnauga
09-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Trivium, like in "Trivium" ? :D

Looking at the Sketchup thing, looks really cool. I like the window idea (it's simple!) and the side HDD intake fan. Cool color as well! As the others, I can't wait to see the pictures! :)

SnowFox
09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Looks simulare to what i had in mind for my mod ! :D

Can't wait to se some pictures !

progbuddy
09-06-2006, 05:01 PM
PICS are here... I finally found my camera (Nikon Coolpix 5 Mpx) and I took some awesome pics. I got part of the painting done... Ill finish the rest tomorrow.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/aa9b15fe.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/3b819532.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0032.jpg

progbuddy
09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
I know what this case needs! Some guitar strings (thank god I play the guitar). I also would like to spice it up with a 520 watt speaker system (as explained in the idea zone) and a few little extras like rounded IDE cords that look like guitar amp cords, and some UV lights and an extra fan:D .

MitaPi
09-06-2006, 06:42 PM
520 WATTS!? Dear god man! Are you serious? lol My brother has a pair of those gaming mini tower speakers from xoxide... and they like are only 70 watts? or something like that.. and they are LOUD! Sure you want to go 520? Other than that this is pretty cool!

Keep up the good work,
MitaPi

PS. Your yahoo... IS AWESOME. That $$60,000,000,000 is mine! :D

progbuddy
09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
I have them installed... look

progbuddy
09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0034.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0035.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0036.jpg

progbuddy
09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
P.S. to your P.S.: :?

progbuddy
09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Update:

I'm gonna finish painting the outside parts of the CD drives, then work on painting the rest of the case... Yeah, I got the speakers working. I can shake my house now. lol. But I really think it would stick to the theme to put in a guitar amp for my speaker (Cube 30). But I like the tube basses on the 520. :D

progbuddy
09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Update:

THEY finally got here. My Ultra UV lights look great in my case. Can't wait to get the side panel cut out and plexied. Oh, I found out a trick - for the best light shine, polish the edges of the glass with a dremel polish head. This gives it that extra "pop". You'll see what I mean

progbuddy
09-08-2006, 03:39 PM
sadly I'm not going to be here this weekend. I have to go camping at the beach.:(

Aero
09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
hey, camping sounds like fun. Be sure to enjoy life aswell as modding, don't let your project controll your life too much :P. Have fun camping, and continue work on this when you get back. Looks good, I'l be watching this for updates :).

Slug Toy
09-08-2006, 07:17 PM
exactly, life isnt about getting stuff done. life is life, and it should be about what we want it to be about.

i try to tell people this so many times, but they dont listen. i have a saying that goes like this: "being busy doesnt always mean being productive. being happy doesnt always mean being happy." basically what im saying is that being lazy isnt a bad thing, and being lazy can bring just as much joy as doing something useful. working for life is a waste of life, and so is laying around for extended periods of time.doing what you want, no matter what it is, ISNT a waste.

and besides... who knows how long nature is going to be around. we're doing a good job at ruining this world. might as well build memories of what it used to be like, because it wont be like this in 50 years.

CanaBalistic
09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
sadly I'm not going to be here this weekend. I have to go camping at the beach.:(

Geesh! City Slickers...
When i was a kid, my family would go camping every weekend. Tons of fun.

I like your little mini system. 520 watts aint nothing to brag about though. Its the equipment, not the watts that determin the sound level. I'm actually ditching my little mini system although it sounds great. I just got a new set of Kenwood 15'" thearter speakers today. I can use my old thearter speakers on my second amp in the bedroom. I'll force my neighbors to hate me :)

The mod looks like its coming along very well. The window slats are a nice touch. Too many people are cutting cubes for a big piece of plexi nowdays. Its nice to see a diffrent approach.

Keep up the good work.

Razors Edge
09-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Hmm well, I like you're project, Good start. But, dude I'm really sorry, I don't mean to offend you but the paint could use a tad bit of work. I look at it, I see lots of bumps & stuff, it wouldn't hurt to even it up.

Now I like ur sketches of how you want it to look like. I can't wait for new pics when you cut off the side and install the plexi.

Nagoshi
09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Damn, these speakers must get your screen all color-distortioned. o_O

And I seriously hope you won't plug guitar amps on your computer. Trust me, you don't want this. First, it could easily screw up your soundcard (Amps sends power to the line, since guitars ain't powered... the sound must comes from somewhere, and the amps supply it via the line. And you don't want to force power thru an output line). Second, you won'T have any volume control, since the sound will be over-amplified. The volume's pot's going to be at 0 and it's going to be muted; but the second you will up it, if it aint for a millimeter higher, the sound is going to be louder than you would want it. Third, you're going to have mono sound. And who likes mono sound? Nobody.

Youd be better keeping that 520W speaker system :) Altho Im pretty sure my own sound system does rock more than these... quite bigger. Ive got two 110W Sharp speakers, and two really old Zenith that uses i-dont-know-much power (but they do have around 12-18'' of a mid-low tones speaker in each, and a tweaker each ;))

Maybe Im going to take a pic of the setup when Ill be lazy enough to bring my ''digital camera'' to the second floor and take some pix :)

Razors Edge
09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Accually I just finished setting up the Home Theater system in my room. I haev about 1500 Watts. Balisitic is right, 520 isn't nothing to brag about but for computer speakers it isn't bad. My comp has 300 Watt Logitechs

.Maleficus.
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey, that is the same case I'm using in my mod! eMachine power! lol.

Looks good so far, and have fun at the beach!

Maleficus

progbuddy
09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
lolz, I just got back, and my fan is here. I have to answer all these messages... lol.

The paint is supposed to look that way. It looks better in person because the flash makes it look bad:p . The side parts of the front look awesome.

The fan I ordered is clear and quiet as a cat stuck in a soundproof box 2 miles underground (don't worry, he has food, lol). I mean quiet... lol. It has lower RPMs with a sharper angled fan blade for silent but efficient operation. It was also cheap, costing me a whopping 3.99 (lol)

P.S.: I got sunburnt at the beach...

progbuddy
09-10-2006, 03:44 PM
lol I did get magnetic distortion from my speakers...

lol *degausses*

progbuddy
09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Update: I'm gonna start to paint the rest of the case. I will get my neighbor to cut out the stuff in the side (I have all the stuff but no experience lol), and install the Masscool fan in the fan hole in the side. Its all starting to come together :D . Then I will add a black "T" to the front (I used a swivel exacto knife to cut it out). I just have to super glue the UV tubes in place because the adhesive doesn't work very well. The speakers put out great sound from my PC.

I found something wierd out for my case. It actually works better with two exhaust fans than an intake/exhaust setup. I noticed a 12 degree (F) difference in the CPU and 10 in the case. This is kinda wierd...

progbuddy
09-11-2006, 03:47 PM
At 100 percent, the CPU gets around 105, rather than 115-120.

Cannibal23
09-11-2006, 05:44 PM
that seems a little strange to me.

progbuddy
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I think its because of the grille in the side and the smaller holes in the bottom of the front of the case...

progbuddy
09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
lol I keep procrastinating... now I'm gonna paint the case today...

GT40_GearHead
09-13-2006, 03:30 PM
when are we gonna see some pics
:D:D

progbuddy
09-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Let there be Pics! lol... I installed the CCFLs and the fan (the clear fan will go in the side of the case and i will place a sunon fan in its place)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0043.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0046.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0042.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0049.jpg

lol I need some wire mgmt...

Edit: lol I just saw Tron 2.0 in the background... :D

purdy
09-13-2006, 07:56 PM
TRON!?!??!!?!? WHERE!?!!?!?!!? Lol btw, nice project!

Razors Edge
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
If you want wire managment, Be sure to pick up urself a nice sleeving kit. Those will help you manage the wires that cannot be manged. You'd be better off showing a blue sleeving then the wire itself. Also for the powersupply wire, Just get a cut-open tube. Works well for me.

progbuddy
09-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Just get a cut-open tube. Works well for me.

I'm thinking of getting a big ass tube and sticking it in for the wires. It used to go to a stoplight piggy bank (don't laugh, I'm resourceful lol). The tube is neat because it illuminates with the UV because its clear. The wires will be put in it and wired down to the bottom. I just cut out the side. Its a little different than the sketchup, but it looks okay. I just have to sand and file (a lot :p ). I'm thinking of having two layers of plexi, one on the outside and one on the inside (the one on the inside will have an etched Trivium logo, and the one on the outside is for reflections and for protection). There will be holes drilled into a small piece of plexi for the fan hole for the grille. I'll post pics tomorrow :D .

progbuddy
09-14-2006, 10:41 PM
I just installed a new harddrive. Its a Western Digital 80 Gb with 8 Mb cache. I have a lot of 80 Gb hdds laying around, and I was wondering if there was an IDE extender that would make 3 hdds fit. I got a lot done today. I sanded and filed the rectangular openings and fan hole and made an etching that will be on the outside layer of plexi. I will post pics in a few.

progbuddy
09-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I have more pics. This time, I cut out the side with a "Dremel" (lmao long story with the quotes), and painted, plexied, and cut out the rest.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0058.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0055.jpg

lol note the crap in the background. Super Soaker, Bday Card, plate, pen, and keyboard. Oh, and the bolts will be black or if I'm lazy they will stay the same way :p Those cut out rectangles took a LOT of sanding/filing. The circle didn't take long at all.

.Maleficus.
09-15-2006, 05:02 PM
The circle was faster? Wow, I would have thought the straight lines would go better. It did for me anyways (though I was cutting plexi and the Dremel got kinda stuck on the curves of the circle). Do you have any close up shots of the etch? If they are earlier in the log, then just tell me, I haven't read it all.

Also, for sleeving wires, a few days ago I hit up Home Depot and got 10' of black split-loom for $2. That may be worth checking out.

But, looks good so far!

progbuddy
09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
I'll post pics tomorrow with the fan installation. By the way, this fan will ROCK when I put in the 2nd layer of plexi and arrange the wires.

Razors Edge
09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Project trivium looks nice accually. Nice work overall.

progbuddy
09-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks :D . I just put the fan into the side, and I still havent painted the rest of the case, lol. Posting pics later today.

progbuddy
09-17-2006, 12:33 AM
ok, I got some great pics... I took out the wierd looking holes (they didnt give good circulation) and painted the fan silver and gave the computer silver pinstripes. Then I painted the rest... I also frosted the glass with a Dremel.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0070.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0069.jpg

That fan now pumps air without the plexi in front, and I reversed it to an exhaust because i found out earlier how much this helps.

progbuddy
09-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I turned around the fan and got way cooler temps (CPU idol around 85 and case is 84) again. All I have to do is find a mesh grate to go over it. Would anyone happen to have some?

progbuddy
09-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm going to finish the "frosting" job on the plexi. Then I'm going to get two more 1/8 inch bolts for fan and paint them silver. I'm going to go over the WHOLE case in red, so that the silver will show underneath, for a nice glow effect. Then I will have a pinstripe running from the top down the front.

Edit: I will post pics today later

progbuddy
09-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Update: The painting is finished, and I found out something strange... This is the wierdest thing ive discovered so far. Washing Detergent glows with UV (lol I get bored easy). I just got an idea, and I'll post more pics.

Here's the detergent lol:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0075.jpg
And heres the PC with the final coat of paint...
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0078.jpg

progbuddy
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Next, I will handpaint or stencil in some stars and a "solar flare". Anyone know where I could buy some Krylon Mini's?

Also, I am going to save up for a new mobo that supports PCIe and has a better design. I also was thinking of transforming a Micron case to house a Micron PC and an Xbox. The case will fit basically anything because of its height and length. This will probably be my next mod...

progbuddy
09-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Once I get back from school, club, lessons, I will start on a water-filled UV sensitive side panel. This thing will look neat with the UV, and the frosted plexi will go out. Then my next proposed plan was to cut out the top and put in a fan... Ill post later today.

progbuddy
09-23-2006, 10:28 AM
OK... I'm going to start on making a cheap phase changer, then I'll get to the glass thing on the side (detergent lol). Then I'm going to save up for a new mobo, RAM, processor, and supplies for my next case.

progbuddy
10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
OMG, I haven't been on this post for a while. Anyways, I'm starting to think outside the box on this one. I placed the fan in the front instead of on the side (thank goodness I had a busted emachines the same size for the side panel), and I'm just going to do a cleaner look for the plexi. Ill take a trip to lowe's tomorrow to get some plexi (awesome plexi for just $2 ^^).

Razors Edge
10-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I got a 12x12 today for $2. 3 mm thick.

I thought this was done.

progbuddy
11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm making this computer more air efficient by adding a couple holes in the front for a fan, and I plan to do a design in the top. I'm going to get another sheet of plexi, and make a clear side. This things probably get stripped of the paint and ill start over (exept the front, I like it :p).

progbuddy
11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I have the color scheme finally down:

Front-

Side columns: Dark Red
Front Panel: Gloss black
CD Drives: gloss black
LEDs for front intake: white 5mm
Power Button: hopefully I'm gonna get to making a custom front button

Sides-

Panel: gloss black with red pinstripes
(Totally new Side panel from my old emachines PC that doesnt work)

Top:

Panel: black w/ large red pinstripe
Accents: Brushed aluminum plates
Top Exhaust: logo with White LEDs (3 mm)

Inside:

Panels (all): Gloss black
Accents: UV cold cathodes (2)

Also, for christmas I've asked for a new mobo, 1 GB RAM, a 6 pack of fans, and some rounded IDE cables.

progbuddy
11-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, I'm in Florida right now (thank god for wi-fi :D). Anyways, things will start up after I'm back. I still need to get a few supplies, and I'm trying to also build a PC for someone (customer 3 :> ).

Maz
11-23-2006, 08:41 PM
wi fi as in your wi fi, or the "free" kind...:smoker:

sounds good, make sure you build the comp right for your customer, you will get more buisness.

isunktheship
11-23-2006, 10:45 PM
This case is about trivium the band right? I have not seen any logos yet...

As for me I'm split... I really wanted to a bugatti mod
Link: Bugatti Link (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427&highlight=bugatti)

My other idea was an Avenged Sevenfold/Atreyu mod. Not exactly sure how it would look, but I might do some mock-ups later on.

Good luck on it though! I'll be watching.

progbuddy
11-24-2006, 09:01 PM
This case is about trivium the band right? I have not seen any logos yet...

As for me I'm split... I really wanted to a bugatti mod
Link: Bugatti Link (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427&highlight=bugatti)

My other idea was an Avenged Sevenfold/Atreyu mod. Not exactly sure how it would look, but I might do some mock-ups later on.

Good luck on it though! I'll be watching.

Coolness. But I was going to redo the plexiglass logo because it kinda looks "fogged up". I'm just gonna buy another sheet of plexiglass for 2 bucks and I was going to do a logo in between the optical drives and the PSU on the top panel. I'll probably post pics in a couple days.

progbuddy
11-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Bought paint in florida :p. I also got my Nvidia GeForce 4000MX to overclock from 275 MHz to 300 MHz (made a BIG difference).

progbuddy
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Finally. Pictures.

Here's a side picture:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0036-1.jpg

Here's where another fan is going to go...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0033.jpg

... and here is a photo of the side in the dark :p...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/vashthstampede98/DSCN0043-1.jpg

I'm gonna put the button back on the front as soon as I get to sanding it down and painting it ( I don't like the "e" :p). After I get some lights and a fan in the front, add a couple of nice things, and finalize it, this mod will be done.

progbuddy
11-28-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm gonna save some christmas money to buy a DFI lanparty (80 bucks ^^) and an Athlon 3200+.

xRyokenx
12-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Kevin here got that dumbassed funnel thingy from my case, as it wouldn't fit with my heatsink, and he put it on the outside instead of the inside. He and I want to cut a hole in the side of my case for a green LED fan and put a modded Rammstein cross symbol thingy in (with an "A" instead of the "R"), but my dad won't let me... but maybe when I move out in a couple years... I'm gonna stay at home and go to the local community college and save some cash and take all the BS core classes... and apartments cost way too much here, and they're filled with trashy people.

simon275
12-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Lol what a weird looking funnel. Yeah It would work better inside the case but what ever kinda industrial looking. ;)

xRyokenx
12-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm assuming that it was meant to go over the CPU heatsink, but it didn't work with mine... but whatever works... I'm guessing you could get some weird fan deal rigged up with a little patience and creativity, or maybe even a small smoke maker thing like on that awesome Doom mod.