PDA

View Full Version : blinking led tutorial

EPYK
09-06-2006, 07:57 PM
heres (http://www.ovelha.org/pasteler0/2005/12/06/howto-blinking-leds/) a tutorial on making blinking led for your next computer mod

tybrenis
09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Cool, nice tutorial. Thanks for that!

Nagoshi
09-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Wow! Thanks! Ive ever wanted something similar! :D

sirkillalot617
09-07-2006, 02:10 PM
thanks its given me something to do while i wait for my funds to increase

Nagoshi
09-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Actually, do you think we could use that with other than leds? like, a cathode tube or an el wire? cause it would be an interesting idea for my lighted keyboard :O

EPYK
09-08-2006, 08:42 PM
if you hook the + and - of the leds to a 12v relay you could power what ever your lil heart desires...

ThaiLuNn..
09-08-2006, 09:08 PM
thats great i will do it for my vento 3600 maybe i can add this thinq to the original leds

or make 1 size bigger :) and add somewhere :D

gaz_the_chav
09-11-2006, 06:58 PM
can you have as many LEDS as you want?

Nagoshi
09-11-2006, 07:18 PM

if you hook the + and - of the leds to a 12v relay you could power what ever your lil heart desires...
Does that answers?

crenn
09-12-2006, 08:12 AM
There is also a disadvantage to using a relay to do this. Remember, Relays are not instant, but correct use of a transistor could work the similar way with a few nanoseconds of delay instead of several milliseconds of delay.

crazybillybob
09-12-2006, 02:38 PM

That Depends on the input voltage and Current of your Suply.
A super brite LED uses 3V @ 30MA so on a 12V line your max is 4 as Shown in this tut. There are other ways to wire up Leds to help get more in a given voltage, but then they'll draw more current.

Also you'll only get so so results if you hook a Cold Cathod tube up in place of the LEDs. So CC tube don't light instantly so you'll miss the short pulses from the music. Plus there are sevral sound responsive CC drivers out there for resonable costs. It's easier just to use one of them.

I also noticed that in the comments at the bottom of this tut Pasteler0 noted that during his testing his "Tip31" stoped working, and had to be replaced. I'm going to guess what caused this and explain how you ca avoid it. A stero Head phone plug has three rings on it one for righ channel, one for left, and one for Ground. The Jack has three springs that contact the rings to transfer the sounds as voltages. When you plug ito the jack, some or all of the rings short together, not a big deal for headphone speakers they just jump a bit, and the sound card is protected from this short. In this tut there is no protection for the "TIP31", so when the you plug it in while the power is on you "OverDrive" the transistor by shorting to +12V. So if your going to use this blinky curcuit, install and uninstall it with the power off unless you like replacing Transistors. :)

It's a neat, and nicely done Tut though!!!

CrazyBillyBob

EPYK
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
intriguing... transistors you say...

chedabob
09-16-2006, 03:30 PM
i have an easier way. buy a bluetooth dongle with a light on it, then just whack an led over the existing one. instant annoying flashing LED. It drives me crazy. when i run windows, its not too bad, but in linux, it flashes really fast, its extremely annoying at night, cos it lights up one end of the room.