PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies

simon275
09-10-2006, 03:08 AM
Any one here play Star Wars Galaxies it looks kinda kool there is a pack which costs $50 AUS. and it gives you the game as well as the expansions. I know its subcirption but its cheaper then wow. I really like the idea of being able to have your own house, plantrey vechile and space ship.

Cevinzol
09-10-2006, 04:05 AM
I never played SWG but I did play Everquest for 4.5 years. Both are hosted/run by Sony Online Entertainment (SOE).

Everything I heard about SWG was that it was a disapointment from the get go. They had a great idea, huge possibilities but even after a year into release they had such little content available the players were having to come up with games, treasure hunts, etc. to entertain themselves. Then SOE released a huge update (forgot the name) but it completely revamped (f*cked up) the game. Several player classes (like the entertainer) were completly broken. Plus people discovered if you wanted to play a jedi after this revamp, it would take roughly 6 years to do it.

Ok bear in mind all my experience w/SWG is rumor so take it with a grain of salt. But just so you know. While I was playing EQ I watched as SOE released 5 expansions (at ~$50 each) while they still had bugs from the first expansion and original game (one quest was finaly fixed 3 years after it was put in the game). after the release of Planes of Power every small, family guild collapsed because all advancement in that expansion required a raid of 50-100+ players. The biggest guilds on the servers would activley cockblock other guilds by spawning events for progerssion flags and then intentionaly failed the encounter. This would cause the event to reset its 3 day timer and give the uber guilds more time to farm the higher levels alone. SOE did nothing to fix it. Finally after a large exodus of frustrated players, they (SOE) had a huge "guild summit" to placate the player base. They actually paid to fly a player from each server out to California to wine and dine them for a weekend. It was a huge to do, John Smedley the president of SOE did a Mia Culpa admitting that they had ignored the player base and their customer support sucked. He made all sorts of promises but all that really came out of it was what the top 10% of players wanted.

Sorry for the rant.
I hate the way SOE milked EQ like a cash cow and ignored the compalints the playerbase made (if you complained on their board you could lose your account for good). between the expansions and the online fee I probably shelled out close to $700.00 and all I have to show for it is the feeling I was used.
I will never play another SOE game.

Don't waste your money SWG is a dead game,

simon275
09-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Hmm sounds pretty dismial. I guess I will stick with wow. It just looked so amazing.

HackSore
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I played it for a while, it wasnt without its bugs, but being a huge star wars fan, i could ignore them.
I really got into it and found it very enjoyable, the community is a pretty nice and easily accessable one. There were very interesting and exciting quests and career paths to choose, and there was always something to do and somewhere to go.
Then, SOE made rather a bad choice and implimented the NGE, which was a total reworking of the entire system. The 36 odd interesting career paths were replaced with 9 generic classes, Jedi being one of them, and for any star wars fan, hundreds of jedi running round mos eisley isnt really a good thing, considering the time-zone SWG is set in.
And the combat system was tweaked just enough to make it boring, difficult, and i thought, pretty damn stupid.
The already many bugs were replaced with thousands more, and combat became highly unbalanced.
I could go on for quite a while, but i wont. i'll just say that before the NGE, i would have recommended it, but after, i would recommend anything but.

And just for the record, i wasnt one of the people that left as soon as the update hit, i did actually play out my 6 month subscription (of which i had a few months left) but just didnt enjoy playing it at all.

DaveW
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Do yourself a favour and stay away from Galaxies. It's in insult to Star Wars fans and gamers everywhere. I bet someone at Sony is saying right now: "Wow, we can ship any amount of ****, including the expansion packs, with a big name like Star Wars!"

The whole thing is...gah, i can't even talk about it it's so insulting.

-Dave

simon275
09-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Tear'

Anyone got a a time machine.

modding.fan
10-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I loved SWG on release...
Then about a year or so later they gave everyone Jedi's (basically handed them out at least)
{Did I mention that the timeline of the game was betewen movies IV and V...when Jedi basically didn't exist?}
For some reason I stuck around through the 'combat upgrade' and the Kashyyyk expansion...slowly watching them butcher the Universe I'd grown to love over the years...

Since then, SWG has grown to such a farce of StarWars, that I'm absolutley amazed that Lucas lets Sony keep the SW name on it.

It's so sad. :( I loved it so much.

I moved on to WoW, and have been there for just over a year, much happier. Then again, I've never played a blizzard game before, so I don't see all of the 'lore butchering' that a lot of the hardcore WoW'ers bring up.

In my (very humble) opinion, don't burn your money on SWG...it was a killer concept, with some great game mechanics...but...sony destroyed it trying to make money when they should have worried about the fan base.