PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9/11...Where were you?

TheGreatSatan
09-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I was doing dishes in my new apartment and heard it on the radio and at first thought it was some joke by the DJ's. I then turned the TV on, but didn't have cable or any stations except one that barely came in.

What were you doing when the Sept 11th attacks happened?

dgrmkrp
09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
living in a different time zone, it was just the time peple were coming home from work.. i was (not) watching tv and reading something.. wasn't paying attention to neither.. and them my mum came in and saw the smoking tower.. after a few minutes (i was thinking this is a movie or a joke), the second plane hit.. i was shocked.. then i watched and watched.. 'till it was all over .. :| .. it was disturbing.. to say the least..

Airbozo
09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I was with my wife's family less than 12 miles from lower manhatten. We just sat down to her Grandfathers funeral, when her dad's pager went off (normally would have been pissed but...) only 2 people in the world had that number, one was his secretary, one was Scott McNeally CEO of SUN Micro. He silenced it and then it went off again, this time with 911 as the call back code (Scott knew exactly where he was).

We finished the funeral (catholic so it took a little while) and when we stepped outside we could see something had happened. Something bad. It was _very_ quiet. Too quiet. No sound except sirens. No planes, very little traffic. We were in the Limo when we heard the first reports. We were all in shock. My F-i-L got on his phone and found out that one of his co-workers had died. We finished the funeral, paid our respects at the mausoleum and went back to My SO's grandmothers house for the after funeral party. We just sat stunned watching the tv in dis belief.

The erie silence outside was mind numbing. The u.s. destroyers on patrol off of Jones Beach seemed a little odd too. We spent the next week trying to get home to california and we were ready to rent a winnebago, when My wife and I got the call that our number was up and we could catch a flight out in the next 2 days. The rest of the family was also contacted and they would be leaving in the next 2-3 days. It took us almost 7 days to get out of NY and we spent that time trying to understand just what was happening around us and how we could help. We were turned away from all the volunteer groups and firestations since there were already too many people downtown and they did not want anymore.

Ok now here is the _real_ erie part; My SO's grandfathers funeral was originally scheduled for the 10th and my F-i-L had a meeting scheduled in tower one of the world trade center for 9am on the 11th and we were going to go downtown with him sight seeing. Well it turns out one of my sis-in-laws could not get to NY until the night of the 10th, so they put off the funeral and my F-i-L's meeting by one day. A meeting that never took place. To this day we still thank her for not being able to make it, although at the time we were all pretty pissed that she would let her job get in the way of her grandfathers funeral.

Chel
09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I was at school and nobody really knew what was going on. Only when I got home to watch the news did I figure out.

The Black Pumpkin
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I remember where I was, Hallmark in a mall near Fredricksburg, MD, I think. We were hearing on the radio that they were considering closing Disney, and it didn't make any sense. We heard a little more and found out what had happened, and we were pretty shocked. When we got back to our hotel, the tv went right on.

Pretty messed up day that one.

nil8
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I was in 1st period when it actually happened.
I found out 2nd period. The entire rest of the day from class to class was watching cnn.
By 6th period I was in an argument with someone about how many civilians will die from the war that must ensue.

Call me sociopathic, but very little 9/11 footage disturbs me.
The only one I can name off hand is one were a man was on the phone with 911 when a tower collapsed and you can hear him all the way up to the end. That's a little hard to stomach the first time you hear it.

Crimson13
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
It was first period, taking a test in music history. The message went over the P-A when the second plane hit. We spent the rest of the day watching the Tv's in all the classrooms.

9/11
Never Forget

Slug Toy
09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
i remember i first heard it on the way to school back in grade 9. i actually didnt know what happened right away because everyone was in too much shock to say it. they just kept saying "i cant believe it... this is terrible."

i found out what happened around lunch time, and then everything made sense. we spent english class hypothsizing what was going on behind all this... or rather, the rest of the class did. i got tired of the wild speculation, and went home... i have no tolerance for debate about unknowns.

honestly that stuff didnt/doesnt phase me too much either. if people call me insensitive, all i say is "welcome to the rest of the world."

DonS1mpson
09-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Because of the time zones, I got home roughtly just after the second plane hit. I was only 10 at the time and just simply couldn't understand what was happening. It only really hit me a few months later, I kept on seeing the towers every time I closed my eyes...

EPYK
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
i was in school, in NY. all i was thinking is im turning 18 tommarow.... im gonna goto war... i really didnt wanna do that

DaveW
09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I was coming home from School. We heard it on the Radio, and i thought it was a joke. Then, when i turned on the TV, it was just after the second plane had hit. I watched both the towers collapsing.

It had a big impact in the UK too-we thought America was invincible, untouchable. After that, we started to wonder how vulnerable we were.

I think the worst part was how helpless i felt. At the time, the footage was pretty scary stuff-but now i've seen it so many times i'm desensitised to it.

-Dave

silverdemon
09-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I was at home, just watching some TV (it was in the afternoon in my time-zone) then I zapped to CNN, saw a big building smoking, listened to the comments on TV, they didn't know what happened at that time... then the second plane hit...

Kaej
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Found out when i got home from school (i'm on GMT). Scared me ****less because i'd been sat in English that afternoon drawing planes crashing...

Redundant
09-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I was in on my way to school in fourth grade when I heard it on the radio.
Once I got to school, they didn't want us to talk about it and shushed anyone who did. And to this day (I'm currently in ninth grade), they make us have a "moment of silence" after the pledge.

MitaPi
09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I was in my first class of the day at school. I didnt understand at the time why the adults were watching TV instead of teaching class, even when I got home I still didnt understand the affect it was having not only in america but around the world. It took me a long time to understand what happened. I guess I was just too young and oblivious at the time to truly understand it all. I think about it now... and i just think about how truly devestating it was and how it affected so many things and so many people and so many countries. It was like dave said.. we were supposed to be this impenetrable fortress and then that happened. Makes me think about stuff like... we say we are safe, but are we really? and... how are we supposed to help the rest of the world when we ourselves are vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

Durrthock
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I was at school in 4th grade About 30 mins away from it in nj and no one knew what was going on. I didnt find out till that afternoon

Aero
09-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I was in 7th Grade when they happened. Well...actually I was at home sick. I remember laying in bed watching cartoons and my mom talking on the phone to our neighbor. Then she yelled upto me "The World Trade Center was hit!". My first response was "What the World Trade Center?". Then she explained it was a building and such. But yeah, apparently the school never announced anything at school, so I was the first to know about it from my school.

Omega
09-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Cali-for-nigh-aye!

I woke up for school when the plane hit the first tower, then left for school when the second one hit, but i swear the world felt so different that day.

rosecityracr
09-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I was my english class during my senior year. We walked into class and we just sat there because the teacher was gone for like 10 min. Finally, she came in rolling a TV into the room and turned on CNN. Back then I realized what the WTC was and what it was for, but I didnt realize how massive a structure it really was and how many lives were really at stake. It took me about a week to really realize at what had happened...

PauL
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
It happend about 20 mins before I woke up to get ready for school. I was awakened by phone calls from people worrying about my dad. My dad is a United Airlines pilot and wanted to make sure he wasn't on any of the 2 planes. Then I heard my TV really loud and I knew somthing was wrong. By the time I got to school everyone was talking about it, but all my teachers said "You need to forget about it right now, were in school right now." Which I though was a really stupid comment to make.

CanaBalistic
09-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Well i'd like to make a big speal about how my life was changed that day but unfortunatly i cant. I live in Canada and see everyday the refugges caused by acts from the USA. All i can say is this: With the way the american government conducts its international business, i wouldnt have been surprised if they nuked the USA. I do however feel obligated to state that i have nothing against americans and i do wish the best for the families affected.

I was at home sleeping when the first plane hit. My mom woke me because she had been watching the tv. Every channel except the forign stations had coverage of the event. I watched the second plane enter the other tower and the huge fireball that spewed out the back of the building. On another note, it was my friends mom's birthday that day and she awoke to one hell of a birthday celebration.

simon275
09-12-2006, 02:23 AM
I was asleep it was the middle of night. I was woken up by my parents. And every one of our cable tv channels all 200 were just showing different news channels. No other programing. The company my dad owns lost a guy that day.

crenn
09-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Due to timezones, I was asleep during the entire thing.

tennysol
09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I was at work and I heard it on my internet radio feed...went into the bosses office and turned on his TV just when the second plane hit...I remember that I couldn't figure out why the other building was on fire...it took a couple minutes for us to realize the second plane had hit the other tower. We watched the rest of the day in shock. Working in an architecture firm we argued whether the buildings could take that kind of stress...I didn't think so, and sure enough not 10 minutes later the first of the towers collapsed...extremely sad day, I know I shed a few tears...

It was a confusing day too...I remember all across the country people were saying that there were targets...the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransisco for example...tragic. I know I'll never forget it.

JacobS
09-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I was at school. my class was out of the room when the teachers found out. It was third grade and they figured that it would be better to not tell us. I didn't find out 'til I got home and all of the TVs were on, I was eight so I didn't fully understand it, but now I realize that it was a day that changed the world forever. Now, everytime I fly I make sure to have a bag of heavy duty zip ties and several sharp pens.

I will never forget

monoflap
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I was in fith grade when it happened. I remember being homesick, sitting and watching the tv. I remember seeing the planes hit, but only once or twice... that might have been a good thing.

GT40_GearHead
09-14-2006, 02:10 AM
i was watching CNN that day, there was a talk show, cant realy remember who was the host, it looked like a video game, the WTC was behind the host so to speak, i was looking at the first plane as he was lining up with the building, my legs went soft.

Well i'd like to make a big speal about how my life was changed that day but unfortunatly i cant. I live in Canada and see everyday the refugges caused by acts from the USA. All i can say is this: With the way the american government conducts its international business, i wouldnt have been surprised if they nuked the USA. I do however feel obligated to state that i have nothing against americans and i do wish the best for the families affected.

that is exactly what i think, i just dont understand why did Bush went for Irak, (i cant finde a moral reason), they didn't found any bio or chemical weapons, and now the court is sayng that there are no links betwin sadam and Bin Ladenl, so why go in the first place, why waste the lifes of so
many american soldiers.